YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived Threads > Final Thoughts on our First Year together! Sign Our Yearbook, Please!!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments For this final entry we are asking you to leave just a bit of yourself!! Perhaps just a hello, a few words or maybe a memory you want to share! Whatever you have to say, we want to hear it!! As an added incentive, we will be randomly drawing names to award the last of our prizes from the vault! Those winners will be posted on Sunday, June 17th at 2pm!!

message 2: by Sammy Goode (last edited Jun 16, 2012 10:28AM) (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments My dear, dear friends,

I have had such fun these last 8 months being one of the moderators here on the YA thread. I have met some of the most amazing people--from authors to readers--all uniquely gifted and incredibly lovely!

In this next year together--I wish each of you joy in your journey. I hope that peace and happiness are constant companions and that worry is a long lost memory.

It is an honor to spend time with each of you here! Thank you for making this thread such a lovely place to while away an hour or two!

message 3: by Sammy Goode (last edited Jun 18, 2012 08:08AM) (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Our winners are:

Brad
Alex
Torsten
Patricia

Please check out the prize vault and make your choice. I will pm you for your choices!

message 4: by Rogier (new)

Rogier (rorocapri) | 397 comments hi i'm rogier S caprino
just turned 20 a month ago
this group was one of the very 1st groups i became a member of after stumbling upon goodreads.com
and recognizing myself as Bi. that all happned last year[ still in the closet though]
i me awesome ppl and i love you all very much
hope this group stays 4 a long time

huggs from suriname
gegroet en kussjes

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Hey everyone, I'm so glad you all have been joining us here on our adventure in good books, good friends and non-judgmental company.

The past year has been eye-opening for me. A cave-dwelling bookworm by nature, you have pulled me out into a wider society and given me a second home to come to. I love this group. I respect and admire the heck out of all of you who post on our threads, sharing your ideas, your work and your days.

This group continues to thrive and I'm proud to be part of that. All of you should be too. I hope we find good books, share writing and stories, and support and entertain each other for a long time to come.

And big hugs to Sammy and Byron - you guys are the best!

Kaje Harper/ Kira Harp

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise (lw95) | 795 comments I became a member on here in April and went on it once and then 2 weeks ago Lizzie showed me how to use Goodreads and brought me to you guys!

You're all amazing, you really are! I may only know Lizzie and Alex in person but I still consider you all as friends and hope to meet some of you some day :)

It's nice to be able to come somewhere where you're accepted and not be judged for who you are or for mistakes that have been made in the past. I love it!

You've only got one life so live it the best you can! Just don't cause trouble along the way though...

I'm so glad that Lizzie showed me Goodreads. It's brought back my love of reading! Though I doubt my dad will be too happy soon when I keep borrowing his books before he gets a chance to read them! *innocent smile*

You won't be getting rid of me for a while yet either!

((big hugs and squeezes to all of you))
Louise Walker

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (cutestsubever) Hi all :) Happy anniversary to us! ;)

Being part of this group it's like having a family, you get unconditional love, support and understandig, you always have someone who listens when you need to talk, to be silly with or share a joke. I love it here!

You guys accept me with all my kinks and mood swings, with depression and without, my silliness and bratty moments, with Sir and Lucas and you just let me be me... it's great. I think I never told you that in December when everything was very, very bad for me the knowledge that you are all there for me helped me a lot.

I found sisters here, moms and best friends and I'm very, very happy and proud of being part in such a wonderful group.

And thanks Sammy, Byron and Kaje for being so awesome mods!

*hugs and kisses all around*

Love you all! Kat

message 8: by Elci (new)

Elci  Hello al you awesome people. This is like one of the best groups evah. I feel that I can share my ups and downs and there will be comforting arms to help guide me through. That's such a gift and I'm sooo glad I get to enjoy it. I've made fab friends that are so real and loving. People that I can go and talk off-line even =) hugs to all the mods, you guys rawk!!'

Here's to another fab year. Can I have cake now?

Xoxoxo

message 9: by Susan65 (new)

Susan65 Happy Anniversary to the best group of people anywhere. I am mostly a lurker but I do check in and post from time to time. I have always felt welcomed here and know it's a safe and happy place for those of all ages.

Toasting the mods with a margarita for a job well done. You are all simply marvelous & together you all make this a worthy group; I am proud to be a member.

Cheers!

message 10: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Happy B'day to us!!

Well done Sammy, Kaje & Shaz for the work you all put in for this past week..

And to the rest of us.. keep reading, keep talking and keep being yourselves..

*HUGS*

message 11: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 62 comments Hey everybody. I haven't had much of a chance to participate in anniversary activities (I've had relatives visiting and it's been quite hectic chez Ibis) but I'm looking forward to treating you all with many stories (and maybe a serial novel or two?) in the coming months. It's such a nice community here and that's down to all of you being so wonderful. Happy Birthday!

message 12: by Rach. (new)

Rach. S | 1728 comments Hey Everyone :)

I know I've already said my piece once before, about how much this group has given me. It's coming up to a year now that I've been a member here and I wouldn't change meeting you all for the world. I have found some of the best friends ever on line - in this group - people who I talk to every day, who I laugh with, cry with, joke with, and just BE with. It was very confusing for me at first (and sometimes still is), this whole internet friends thing - the relationships I've built - but HONESTLY, I feel closer to some of you here than I do to some of the friends I have IRL. I have had so much fun over the last year. And I've found so much support and love. To BJ, Sammy and Brett, who suffer me on a daily basis - I love you SO MUCH. And to everyone else who has made my days brighter and my nights (oh my God, the nights hahahaha) a flippin riot :D THANK YOU. This group seriously ROCKS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx XD

message 13: by K (last edited Jun 18, 2012 12:41AM) (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments When I joined this group back in December 2011 I thought that, like with most other groups and forums I use on line, I would be lurking around in the background and rarely posting.... how wrong was I!

The friendliness, support and encouragement I saw given to others drew me in until it became one of the first places I go to when I log in to the computer of a morning.

Having played about on the net since it's infancy I don't think I've ever found a group of people who give so much of themselves without expecting anything in return. As a result of which I have made some excellent friends who far surpass just being "virtual".

On a personal level I want to thank you all for the encouragement that you've given me with my writing, the support you provided when my mum was ill and the general day to day banter that makes my life so much brighter.

I would specially like to thank the mods who make this a safe and fun place for us to play in. Thank you as well to for arranging the anniversary celebrations (and an additional thank you to all the authors who have kindly donated prizes)

So here's to keeping going, onwards and upwards into the future. Happy Anniversary!!

*hugs to all*
K xx

message 14: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (avs1998) | 340 comments WELL, what can I say? I hate you ALL!!! I'm kidding; how could I hate my surrogate family?

So many new friends, many of whom I now consider family, it's just unreal. When I was down, you were there. When I was having a rough time, you were there. When my eating stopped, you gently pushed me on. When I was heartbroken, you collectively gave me a bandage to hold it together.

I'm nothing special, in fact I'm a bit of a bore
If I tell a joke, you've probably heard it before
But I have a talent, a wonderful thing
'Cause everyone listens when I start to sing
I'm so grateful and proud
All I want is to sing it out loud

So I say
Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me

Mother says I was a dancer before I could walk
She says I began to sing long before I could talk
And I've often wondered, how did it all start?
Who found out that nothing can capture a heart
Like a melody can?
Well, whoever it was, I'm a fan

So I say
What would life be?
For giving it to me

I've been so lucky, I am the girl with golden hair
I wanna sing it out to everybody
What a joy, what a life, what a chance!

So I say
What would life be?
For giving it to me

:')

I love you all, you're so special, and you've all given me a welcome I've never been able to get; I didn't expect it; I am what I am, and you're all fine with it.

Lots of love, hugs and tears, Alexx/Alexis/Alexei/Alex/Kieran

message 15: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Hall | 560 comments Okaaay soooooo erm...i dunno what to put...like that makes a difference;)

I joined in like March or something...I can't really remember, but I didn't understand anything at all :') But then I discovered how it all worked and had a mini party in my mind ^_^

I love coming on here. It's the first thing I go on as soon as I'm on the computer - you lot have reduced my facebook addiction to somewhere actually worth being on!

When I've been upset or lacking self-esteem, someone over here always manages to make me feel a little better. You don't judge me for anything and I love it. It's one of the only places I feel safe and I'm lucky to have it. You guys help me cope and that's just amazing.

You're like family to me, always looking out for everyone, and loving everybody. It's just such a warm, loving place, even if sometimes we have grumpy tuesdays ;)

Thankyou all for everything and happy anniversary! I promise I'll be around for the second....and third, and fourth and all the other ones after;D

I love you.

HUGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and CAKE - Lizzie <3

message 16: by Torsten (new)

Torsten (Khasra) | 501 comments I may have been a member in this group for just a couple of weeks but let me tell you one thing. YOU GUYS ROCK!

I've been a member in a lot of groups on the Internet for the last 20 years but it never felt so naturally and easy to tag along as it does in here. I'm honestly thankful for that.

message 17: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (mm_reads) | 75 comments Although I've mostly been a lurker, there have been some really great discussions, and getting to use the group bookshelves has been awesome! I look forward to the next year. Congratulations and great job!

message 18: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments A few people remarked to me that since it is fathers day in the U.S. could I give more time to comment. So I am extending the prize winning posting bracket until midnight tonight to give folks time to comment. Thanks to everyone who has commented thus far. You are all so very lovely!!!

Sammy

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Well, the biggest compliment I can give the group is you've kept me coming back to comment from time to time. I've never stuck w/ a group this long and commented in a semi regular (for me) fashion. Must be something special about all of your if I continually become social because of you. ;)

message 20: by Enny (new)

Enny | 8 comments Since I'm a bit shy, I mostly lurk here but I completely second what Torsten said. This is a really friendly group with lots of people who are fun and have great taste in books.

A big thank-you to the mods and everybody else here who makes this such a great place on the internet!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY AND HERE'S TO MANY MORE YEARS TO COME!!!

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) | 121 comments Hello. I am Rachel and I've been on this list for several months now. I am a writer with a strong interest in YA LGBT books. My first novel should be out before the summer's over and you can get an early release copy as a prize if you won any of these contests.

I love this group because it helps me as a young at heart but not necessarily young adult, stay in touch with the interest and feelings of the YA readers. Whatever success I have with Run, Clarissa, Run and other novels I will owe in large part to the people on this list. Thanks for being here.

message 22: by John (new)

John Goode | 156 comments I was nabbed off the street and dragged here and have been kept against my will for months now. I am pretty sure my cat has sold me into some weird white slavery ring. If anyone can read this, help me!

Besides that, a good year all around :)

message 23: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments This has been an incredible week. Kaje, Shaz, thank you so much for helping to make this week so much fun!!

Byron, Kaje you guys are just the best team to work with. I have learned so much from both of you. And your friendship has been a treasure I hold dear!!!

Well everyone, we are nearing 1000 members. I remember back when there was a real fear that our thread would close. It is because of all of you that we are thriving!! So happy anniversary to the dearest people on earth!!

Now look above and check out who will receive the last of our prizes!

message 24: by Angel (new)

Angel (angelflower) | 1357 comments Have to add a few words although I'm late. So very sorry I couldn't be here for the anniversary.
A huge thank you to our mods who are totally awesome!! Thank you so much for giving us all this place to come and chat, hang out, vent, get support, all of that stuff and more!!HUGE HUGS!!
And to everyone, you guys have been so awesome and supportive. I have never found a group quite like this one online anywhere and I am so glad I found it. Everyone here is so supportive and caring and it really means a lot to me! I have made some very special friends and I love you all so much!! HUGE HUGS and LOTS OF KISSES to you all!!!

message 25: by Andra (new)

Andra (andora) | 43 comments I've been here for the anniversary (lurking away as usual). I mostly spent it in my own way, reading the nice little stories that have been posted in the special anniversary thread. You might not know, but I know all of you quite well. I'm one of those people who like watching others and taking notes - yeah, those are called weirdos I believe. Anyhow, I'm very happy to be part of this group. There always something interesting to read here, always new books to discover, always new stories that people share. All these things give me courage, especially the people. When I read what you guys have been up to in the off topic thread I realize I should be braver and get out there more, meet more people, built a life of my own. Maybe someday I'll have something to talk about as well. Maybe... I'll be less of a lurker, less of a weirdo (though that might be a lost cause). But, until then, I'll have this group keep me company, along with the older sister group of course. Ah, I think discovering M/M was the best thing in my life :D
Happy birthday!

message 26: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Andra wrote: "I've been here for the anniversary (lurking away as usual). I mostly spent it in my own way, reading the nice little stories that have been posted in the special anniversary thread. You might not k..."

You can lurk here anytime. Every once in a while I will shout hello.

message 27: by John (new)

John Goode | 156 comments I liked this year because we got a nice lady who sleeps outside in the bushes and gives me tuna when dad is gone. She also likes scratching me behind my ears and that is the best place ever.

message 28: by Torsten (new)

Torsten (Khasra) | 501 comments Andra wrote: "I've been here for the anniversary (lurking away as usual). I mostly spent it in my own way, reading the nice little stories that have been posted in the special anniversary thread. You might not k..."

You should never ever think of yourself as a weirdo. Think of it as just being slightly different.
Who would want us all to be alike anyways. Diversity rules!

message 29: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) John wrote: "I liked this year because we got a nice lady who sleeps outside in the bushes and gives me tuna when dad is gone. She also likes scratching me behind my ears and that is the best place ever.

"

That cat looks like it is plotting something devious. o.O

message 30: by Sammy Goode (last edited Jun 19, 2012 07:33AM) (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Patricia wrote: "John wrote: "I liked this year because we got a nice lady who sleeps outside in the bushes and gives me tuna when dad is gone. She also likes scratching me behind my ears and that is the best place..."

Ah Eddie is a good boy. Well as long as you don't try to play with his catnip mouse or, uhm, "borrow" some of his tuna. Of course I wouldn't know anything about that!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I may be a bit late but I don't care! I am really sorry guys for not participating in the other events, I just got back into a bad habit and it is very hard to get out of this habit

Anyway, you are all really cool(especially Kaje) you are all so nice and welcoming and it is amazing how big this group is! So well done guys and hey, happy anniversary!

Hugs&kisses, Hannah L! :*

message 32: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Hannah L wrote: "I may be a bit late but I don't care! I am really sorry guys for not participating in the other events, I just got back into a bad habit and it is very hard to get out of this habit

Anyway, you ar..."

never too late to share some love!!

message 33: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Hannah L wrote: "I may be a bit late but I don't care! I am really sorry guys for not participating in the other events, I just got back into a bad habit and it is very hard to get out of this habit

Anyway, you ar..."

If you're going to call me cool, you can write here as late as you like ;)

Thanks for signing this - it's nice to see so many of our group participating.

message 34: by John (new)

John Ames | 10 comments Even though I became a member yesterday, I feel like a part of this family...Happy Anniversary...Hugz and Kissez to everyone...JHA...

message 35: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments John wrote: "Even though I became a member yesterday, I feel like a part of this family...Happy Anniversary...Hugz and Kissez to everyone...JHA..."

Thank you John--we're glad you're here!

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie Happy Anniversary to the group! I've mostly been a lurker for the last few months because of daily life becoming hectic, but now that it's summer I plan to be more active. This group has been an excellent place for me to find new books to read and introduce to my classroom library. Thank you everyone!

message 37: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Jennifer wrote: "Happy Anniversary to the group! I've mostly been a lurker for the last few months because of daily life becoming hectic, but now that it's summer I plan to be more active. This group has been an ex..."

Looking forward to getting to know you Jennifer!

message 38: by Marc (new)

Marc | 19 comments Happy Anniversary to the group!
I'm a shiny new member here, but it's awesome how much work the moderators do to foster a real sense of community. As an oldy, it's also lovely to be able to share a forum with younger girls and guys - The journey you're on is so exciting!
just remember: You are loved and all is well.

message 39: by Justin (new)

Justin South (justinsouth) | 79 comments Hi everyone,
I'd better say Hi before the candles burn out.
One year old!
Looking forward to the next.
Have fun, take care
Justin

message 40: by Ifrah (new)

Ifrah (xxifrah) | 10 comments Hey everyone,
I have probably ever replied once to a thread the whole time I've been a part of this group, but that doesn't mean I don't love this group. I'm just at the side watching the discussions take place without actually doing something myself (too afraid of saying something wrong). Anyways, happy anniversary! I'm sure there will be many more to come.

message 41: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Ifrah wrote: "Hey everyone,
I have probably ever replied once to a thread the whole time I've been a part of this group, but that doesn't mean I don't love this group. I'm just at the side watching the discussi..."

There is no "saying something wrong" here :) Lurk if you like, but if you want to comment, jump on in. The water is fine, and we have life-rings to spare. Thanks for signing our book.

message 42: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Ifrah wrote: "Hey everyone,
I have probably ever replied once to a thread the whole time I've been a part of this group, but that doesn't mean I don't love this group. I'm just at the side watching the discussi..."

Ifrah, thanks for lurking with us. It's an honor to have you spend time here!

message 43: by Fangtasia (new)

Fangtasia Hey everyone! I lurk, mostly, but came by to say happy anniversary. So glad this group has continued to flourish and grow, providing the young people a place to talk, share, and be themselves.

Hopefully, we'll celebrate the 2nd anniversary next year with double the members and double the fun.

message 44: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Justin wrote: "Hi everyone,
I'd better say Hi before the candles burn out.
One year old!
Looking forward to the next.
Have fun, take care
Justin"

My dear Author, how lovely to see you here!! My best to you!!

message 45: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Marc wrote: "Happy Anniversary to the group!
I'm a shiny new member here, but it's awesome how much work the moderators do to foster a real sense of community. As an oldy, it's also lovely to be able to shar..."

Thanks Marc for signing our book. And what a lovely encouragement to leave! So glad you are here

message 46: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Fangtasia wrote: "Hey everyone! I lurk, mostly, but came by to say happy anniversary. So glad this group has continued to flourish and grow, providing the young people a place to talk, share, and be themselves.

Hop..."

Hey there!! So good to see you here!!!

message 47: by Paul (new)

Paul | 9 comments When I was a teen, I often felt alone despite family and school and often disapeared for days on end into this book or that. Thats why this group is so awesome. now there is a place to learn about great books that speak to us all, where people take the time to care, where authors talk and not only through the words they craft.

Almost a thousand members in a year.

I promise to visit more often, read more books and take part in more discussions.

and to the moderators I offer my heartfelt thanks for a job so well done.

message 48: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Paul wrote: "When I was a teen, I often felt alone despite family and school and often disapeared for days on end into this book or that. Thats why this group is so awesome. now there is a place to learn abou..."

Oh Paul. Thank you. I am so very glad you are here with us. I look forward to getting to know you!