UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Geek needs Authors/Bloggers with a bit of time this weekend

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jun 16, 2012 07:45AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Hi,

I am currently setting up a geeky bit of technology that I hope will be useful for both Authors and Readers.

I have reached a point where I need to test my work. I would rather not explain what the functionality is on the group just now (in case it doesn't work - if the test goes well I will be going on and on and on for ages)....

I need :
Authors or Bloggers with a blog/website.

You need :

To have access to your website/blog at the HTML level

A basic understanding of how your website is structured

To be comfortable with simple HTML

Be happy to add a bit of HTML to your website/blog

Have a bit of time this weekend (less than one hour I expect) to help me with this test.

In Return :
You will be the first to see my new idea

Part of the beta test team who will shape this development

Get a warm fuzzy feeling that you have entertained a geek

Interested?
If you PM me I will direct you to a web page where all will be revealed.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments My first author has been geeked and everything worked....

WHo's next?

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I have just geeked someone with a Blogger Account. Of course my victim volunteer was extremely clever so my rubbish instructions didn't matter

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Sounds intriguing....................

I almost wish I was an author.

Fortunately for the rest of civilisation I'm not.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments You will be able to join in once I have made sure it works Janet. It is going to be fun I think. I would like to have a few more sites tested before I reveal all (just in case it flops).

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Are you saying readers are getting involved too?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9087 comments Ooh proper geeky! Sorry I can't help Simon, being neither author nor having nuts and bolts site.

message 8: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jun 16, 2012 06:33AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Once it is going I hope it will be of some considerable use to readers Loraine.

My first volunteer tells me I might be scaring people off by talking about HTML and that she found the process i explained to her easy and thinks the idea will be good if we can get it off the ground.....

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments have just pm'd you Simon...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Thanks Karen,

You should have instructions now. Will keep an eye out for you :)

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Just pm'd again... what is Site ID ???

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Strewth. The only thing I lnow about HTML is what the acronym is. After that you're on your own!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments You are ahead of many programmers Ignite.

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Ah, but if they can work it, they don't need to know (one might argue).

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Oooh exciting now! am registered... and it didn't hurt too much :)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Thanks Karen, that looks great.

I could do with a couple more victims before I go live.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Thanks Karen, that looks great.

I could do with a couple more victims before I go live."

I have a blog but I don't have a clue how it works.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yay Karen!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments OK, that went well... Thanks to everyone who helped.

http://www.ethings.org.uk

message 20: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Yay! I like it Simon, that's a genius idea!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I look forward to your thought when it gets going Lorraine :)

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments Wow, I went off to bed last night feeling lonely in the ring all on my own, and now there's three of us! Yes, I was the first guinea pig and I have to admit the thought of HTML made my whiskers go all a-quiver, but it was painless, folks, easy - even for an old fogey like me. So don't be scared. Get Simon's code and pop it into your site or blog and we can all sing Ring-a-Ring-a-Rosey together! I think it's a great idea!

message 23: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Hope lots of people sign up :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Me too Shaun. Will be great not having to use all my bookmarks to look at everyone's blogs anymore.

So convenient. I'll be able to look through every day.

message 26: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I don't know what my site ID is.

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments Ignite wrote: "I don't know what my site ID is."

You make it up, I think...at least that's what I did and Simon didn't tell me I was wrong. :P

message 28: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments What? Tell a lie! Sharp intake of breath!

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments No, you CREATE an ID for your site so that you can identify it! :)

message 30: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Won't it need to show on the site somewhere? How will it link to anything? Where's Simon? Pub's not open yet!

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments I thought it was just like a name to go with your password if you want to edit your profile. But I can't remember what I did now. Last night is so long ago!

Cooeeeee! Siiiiimmmmmmoooooonnnnnnnnn!

message 32: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments The site ID is whatever you want to use. It's what you will use along with the password to login to the site so you can edit your site details etc. It's not seen by anyone but you I don't think.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Sorry, I am all over the place this morning. The site ID doesn't need to be anything particular. Just something you remember.
The ring works by holding all the ringers on another server. That way you don't have to let any one else touch your website and I can make sure the ring doesn't get broken.

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I was only obeying orders. It's MASSIVE. I've done something wrong, evidently.

message 35: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I've taken it off. It was half a page long and as wide as the screen.
I'm not an author anyway. Pishhh, tosh!

message 36: by David (new)

David McGowan (dmcgowanauthor) | 76 comments I'd be all over this like a fly on erm..., but I'm running a wordpress.com blog, so don't have access to the html for the site, only the individual posts. Does that mean I can't come to the party?

message 37: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Aww...Kath both your blogs are interesting. I have been reading the back post on both.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Ha. It depends where you put it Ignite. I enjoyed looking at your blog though.

If you put it under 'Nice Places to visit' it would probably be OK. I think you have better things to do though somehow!

message 39: by Kath (last edited Jun 17, 2012 08:06AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I put it at the top, under the green writing. I'll see if I can do it again!

Edit - I can't find my way back again. Never mind eh. I don't need to be in an Indie Author Ring. I've got as many as I can read already!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Hi David. I thought there was a way to add html in Wordpress. I don't use it so I can't direct you. Perhaps someone else can help. I am pretty sure you can add html. Will Google it in a minute

message 41: by David (new)

David McGowan (dmcgowanauthor) | 76 comments Thanks Simon. I can probably place it in a text widget on my page, but already running one so not sure if it can run multiple. Don't see why not though!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Erm.

Dunno about anyone else but I plan on getting rid of all the blogs I've got bookmarked and using the ring from now on.

I do hope all my favourite blogs will be in the ring!