SFBRP Listeners discussion

The Stand review

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (last edited Jun 15, 2012 06:44PM) (new)

Kyle | 1 comments I just saw here that Luke finished the Stand and I thought I'd share this link:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php...
Cheers

message 2: by Luke (new)

Luke Burrage (lukeburrage) | 285 comments Mod
Sweet! I'll be recording the podcast today.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeff_koeppen) | 16 comments Looking forward to hearing the review. Does anyone remember the 1997 American (ABC) TV mini-series of The Stand? I think it was shown over 4 days, with a two-hour time slot each day. I remember it being OK. Wouldn't sit through it again, though.

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 55 comments Will the podcast be 45 hours long?

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeff_koeppen) | 16 comments Nice review. I'll have to check the blog for the star rating, I'm guessing it was good. While Luke talked about the individual characters, the images of their respective TV series actors (Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald, Rob Lowe, etc.) popped in my head subconsciously, it was kind of weird. My wife is a big King fan so the book is lying around here somewhere, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

message 6: by Luke (new)

Luke Burrage (lukeburrage) | 285 comments Mod
I forgot to give it a star rating? Oops! I guess that's what happens when I don't do a podcast recording for over a month.

I gave it 3.5 stars in my head, and when I put the info into my blog post/episode list generating database:

http://www.sfbrp.com/episode-lists#02

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin Darn, wish I'd seen a new show was released before I left for work.

The Stand is a book that usually comes highly recommended. Even when I gave up on The Dark Tower books, people said I should read The Stand. Looking forward to listening to Luke's thoughts.

message 8: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 19, 2012 07:58AM) (new)

Tamahome | 55 comments "Stephen King writes good scenes, but not necessarily good stories." That's good. Congrats on the Audible sponsor.

A little bird told me A Good Story is Hard to Find will discuss The Stand too.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 15 comments Jeff wrote: "Looking forward to hearing the review. Does anyone remember the 1997 American (ABC) TV mini-series of The Stand? I think it was shown over 4 days, with a two-hour time slot each day. I remember ..."

Yes, I remember it. I thought it was pretty good. It's available for download on Netflix, if you're interested.

message 10: by Ted (new)

Ted (tfunsten) | 2 comments I remember some of the ABC mini-series. Gary Sinise was good. Matt Frewer way overacted as the Trashcan Man. If it's on Netflix, I think I'll watch it again. Might need to fast-forward through the 'M-O-O-N' spells ...' lines. That got old.
I like the observation on how close The Stand is to Lord of the Rings. That hadn't struck me before.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Forbes | 16 comments I love The Stand. I found it while working in Burger King years ago and thought "Cripes, this book it thick!" I think it's one of Stephen King's best stories. So imagine my utter disappointment after reading 'Under The Dome'...