The Sword and Laser discussion

Suggestion: Poll an Goodreads Scrore after Wrap Up

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AndrewP (last edited Jun 15, 2012 10:23AM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Here's a suggestion. After the wrap up of a S&L pick, how about putting up a poll where people can vote the GR star rating they gave the book? Poll would have 6 answers, 1-5 stars and 'Lemmed it'.

I just thought it might be interesting to see how many people actually read the S&L pick, and how they rated it.

Excuse typos :) I should have waited until I got home and not used my phone I guess.

message 2: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments I think that is a great idea, however I would add a box for comments, because in your current format I cannot participate, as the book was unavailable on google play, I plan to start a discussion and post comment on my thoughts on google play's books. I am enjoying 2312, I discovered the book and sword and laser, so as far as I am concerned the book is 1 of their picks, I can see why people lemmed it or ha. ven't even picked it.

sorry for the typos I'm using my phone to, I'm going to save electricity

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I think that's a good idea. It would be interesting to see what people thought of the book. That might save some lemming time devoted to discussions. I'm typing with my nose, bit my smart phone corrected all but one typo.

message 4: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments I was giving it voice dictation, that avoids misspellings as long as they get the translation right.

message 5: by Matheus (new)

Matheus (Matheuslr8) | 36 comments excellent idea!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

You can see how members rated a book now, if you want.

Go to the group bookshelf, find the book, then click "view" on the far right.

It'll take you to a page listing threads in the group discussing the book and below that will be a section that lists members and their ratings of that book.

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4134 comments I like the idea but would try to standardize the stars rather than use what people gave it. Most people seem to rate stars differently. I follow GR's scale so my ratings seem much lower than most (since I rarely give 4's and 5's).

message 8: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Useful, Ala, but a centralized group aggregate score might be interesting. I wonder if it would support the idea that some books are more polarizing than bellcurvy.

message 9: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I did a search for myself under 1Q84 and I can't find my opinion on the book. I checked twice.

Ala wrote: "You can see how members rated a book now, if you want.

It'll take you to a page listing threads in the group discussi..."

message 10: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments P. Aaron wrote: "Useful, Ala, but a centralized group aggregate score might be interesting. I wonder if it would support the idea that some books are more polarizing than bellcurvy."

That's what I was thinking. I bet on some books the average may be around 3, but there would more people voting 2 or 4 than actually 3.

message 11: by John (new)

John (johntai) | 35 comments Ala wrote: "You can see how members rated a book now, if you want.

It'll take you to a page listing threads in the group discussi..."

That's great, but it's missing the average of all members' rating. So the poll is still needed. I'm also curious about the numbers. That might also be useful for people who join the group later and want to quickly checkout which were the most popular past books. As a new member I'd like to know that about the previous books.

message 12: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments Yes, please.

message 13: by Duncan (last edited Jun 26, 2012 10:55AM) (new)

Duncan (3dmonkey) | 33 comments terpkristin wrote: I follow GR's scale so my ratings seem much lower than most ..."

Where do you find the GR scale? I think I might be rating books too high.

I think a ratings poll is a good idea. I also like when people start a new thread, they select the book in the "This topic is about" field, then everyone who replies will have their rating appear at the top of their post.

message 14: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments Duncan wrote: "terpkristin wrote: I follow GR's scale so my ratings seem much lower than most ..."

Where do you find the GR scale? I think I might be rating books too high.

I think a ratings poll is a good ide..."

If you hover over the stars with your mouse, it should show what the scale is:

* didn't like it
** it was okay
*** liked it
**** really liked it
***** it was amazing

message 15: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4134 comments David wrote: "If you hover over the stars with your mouse, it should show what the scale is:

* didn't like it
** it was okay
*** liked it
**** really liked it
***** it was amazing "

Yep.
"Problem" is that a lot of people don't follow this scale (I do). So if we were to do something like this, we'd have to come up with a system that standardizes responses. Maybe:
Hated it
Didn't Like It
It was OK
Liked It
LOVED It
Didn't Finish

message 16: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Yeah I tend to rate mine based on something like Kristin suggests. Any book that I thought was okay, average, neither loved nor hated it I give a 3. If I followed the GR descriptions I would be rating a lot of books as 1 or 2.

I will put up a Tigana poll next week after the official ending date and see what happens.

message 17: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments Following the GR format seems to make more sense. We can be a bit more explicit about it though.

* = Lemmed it or wish I had.
** = I read as much as I am ever likely to, but I didn't hate it.
*** = I enjoyed the book
**** = I would recommend this book to a friend
***** = One of the best books in this genre.

message 18: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Okay, I added the Tigana poll. A few days late but things got crazy at work over the holiday.

Here's the link.
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/68...

message 19: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I rated it 4 stars, but I'm actually probably between 3 and 4, since I forgot about it soon after reading it.

message 20: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments It's not showing up under the 'poll' category. Which would make it harder to find in the future.

message 21: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3511 comments Mod
kvon wrote: "It's not showing up under the 'poll' category. Which would make it harder to find in the future."

Are you sure? It's Poll #7 when I click on the Polls link.

I rated it 3 stars.

message 22: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments After leaving the poll open for a month, 72 people voted. 49 of those either loved, or really liked the book 68%. So it seems the the people that voted liked it, as opposed to the posts on the forum, which I believe went the other way.
More people lemmed it than gave it 1, which I thought a bit odd.

message 23: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments AndrewP wrote: "More people lemmed it than gave it 1, which I thought a bit odd."

Oh I don't know. If one thought a book was "Terrible, hated it", I can't imagine that they wouldn't "'Lemmed' it. Did not finish".

Will we be seeing a new poll for Leviathan Wakes?

message 24: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments David(LA,CA) wrote: "Will we be seeing a new poll for Leviathan Wakes?"

From what has been written in forums, I think the overwhelming majority liked Leviathan Wakes. Tigana was very polarized in the forums and I though it would be an interesting poll.
But perhaps a poll for Leviathan Wakes would show up a silent majority who didn't like the book. I will try it and see.

message 25: by Greg (new)

Greg Webb | 5 comments To 'lem it' is to give up? My apologies, this is a term that is new to me (at least in this context). I tried searching for it but nearly all of the results came back to S&L.

message 26: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Greg wrote: "To 'lem it' is to give up? My apologies, this is a term that is new to me (at least in this context). I tried searching for it but nearly all of the results came back to S&L."

Yeah it's a term coined by our little group here. You can look at the FAQ and tht should help you along with our various specialty terminolgy's.

message 27: by Greg (new)

Greg Webb | 5 comments You can look at the FAQ and tht should help you along with our various specialty terminolgy's.

Dang it, sorry... I read those months ago and must've just forgotten, because now that I re-read them I remember the origin/Stanislaw Lem.

Thanks, though!

message 28: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus Is it too early to have a september lazer pick poll?
Or is it a tom dictated one?

message 29: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4134 comments I believe they have said that September is going to be another dictatorial pick. After all, V has to let T think he's contributing. ;)

message 30: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Okay, I put up a poll for Leviathan Wakes here:
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/69...

As Tigana was voted about 68% in favour, I am predicting 80% or more positive rating for this one.

message 31: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus @Terpkristin

Do we have any clues as to what it could be yet? I'm itching for some lazer! Come on Tom spill the beans!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2845 comments Samurisloth wrote: "@Terpkristin

Do we have any clues as to what it could be yet? I'm itching for some lazer! Come on Tom spill the beans!"

Listen to the podcast!

message 33: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4134 comments Samurisloth wrote: "@Terpkristin

Do we have any clues as to what it could be yet? I'm itching for some lazer! Come on Tom spill the beans!"

It's on the podcast and also apparently on the calendar. :) or you cn go to the show thread for episode 107... ;)

message 34: by Rhenus (last edited Aug 08, 2012 08:51AM) (new)

Rhenus terpkristin wrote: "Samurisloth It's on the podcast and also apparently on the calendar..."

Got it from amazon, thamks Terpkristin :D