Temeraire discussion

Other > Holes in the plot (how it works in a movie or TV)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Space-2 (last edited Jul 06, 2012 11:28PM) (new)

Space-2 (Space2) | 12 comments While I really like Temeraire-series, there are still many things that I find too far fetched. Especially when, or if, there will be a TV-series or a movie made from this. While reading the books, some parts were believable, but here is what I want to ask:

Is it believable that flight goggles haven't been invented? How can the fliers see anything?

Why not have parachutes? It sounds like awful waste of crew to have them fall to sea or land every time. Especially boarding another dragon midflight without a parachute...is it courageous or just suicidal?

The captain of a dragon can't be killed, but in a boarding a sword must be held on captain's throat as the dragon is guided to another side. That is supposed to be easy?

Just a few notions. It's just that the Temeraire-series is so close to reality that these things can be questioned. Other dragon flight books are so clearly fantasy that it isn't necessary to think about practical issues.

message 2: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

Cole (spectyr333) | 136 comments Mod
Good points, I haven't thought about those particular ones before. But you are right, this series tries so hard to be precise that it is necessary to hold it under a stronger microscope.
Parachutes would be very helpful and so would goggles; they say that a need for things causes an expansion of new ideas and inventions, so it would be feasible to have them included. But alas, she can't think of all the good ideas that readers might have, I find myself often thinking that I can improve the story I am reading by my "ideas."
Anyway Chrome3d, I hope that these things are small enough for you that they can be over looked and that you can still enjoy them!
For me, I do find holes every now and then; but I can't seem to think of them right now to discuss. Will think more on this because every book has them.

message 3: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (tillos) Chrome3d wrote: " Is it believable that flight goggles haven't been invented? How can the fliers see anything? "

I had pictured it as the dragons flying at an angle so they act as a wind block. How they talk to one another and get up and walk around are things however I try to ignore.

Chrome3d wrote: " Why not have parachutes? "

I like grappling hooks.

Chrome3d wrote: " The captain of a dragon can't be killed, but in a boarding a sword must be held on captain's throat as the dragon is guided to another side. That is supposed to be easy? "

This bothered me as well but I suppose they're worth so much that its worth the attempt.

message 4: by Space-2 (last edited Sep 26, 2012 12:48AM) (new)

Space-2 (Space2) | 12 comments There are many occasions when Laurence's eyes well up and he can't see anything when Temeraire launches himself fast up in the air. It would be understandable if humans had been flying 2000 years with a fast and flying dragons then humans would possess some kind of tools to make flying easier for themselves. They have harnessess made for dragons, then why they don't have goggles and parachutes for people? Those two items would be necessary and 2000 years of flying is enough time for inventions. There are tents for captains on the dragon's back but I don't see tents being useful or having any chance to stay up there

message 5: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

Alexis wrote: "You make a good point, Chrome, but every book has plot holes; it's unavoidable, there isn't a single book where you can't point at it and say, "But...!"

Anyway, these books are so awesome that I c..."

I agree!!

message 6: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

Chrome3d wrote: "There are many occasions when Laurence's eyes well up and he can't see anything when Temeraire launches himself fast up in the air. It would be understandable if humans had been flying 2000 years w..."

However, you do make the best point yet. After flying for so long, why wouldn't they have inventions to make it easier still that what they all ready have. Oh well, should we tell Naomi?

message 7: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

Dustin wrote: "Chrome3d wrote: " Is it believable that flight goggles haven't been invented? How can the fliers see anything? "

I had pictured it as the dragons flying at an angle so they act as a wind block. H..."

I try to ignore things like actually physics in books like these, although it is hard not to think of it.

message 8: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

Dragons are mysterious inheritly, so there are going to be things that don't make sense.

message 9: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

Will do, I didn't see it as offensive.

message 10: by Space-2 (new)

Space-2 (Space2) | 12 comments I agree that with fantasy books there are things that shouldn't be thought about. I still said in the OP that I was suspicious how some things would look IN A MOVIE OR TV-SERIES. Some stuff that can't be avoided when you see it actually happening. If a flyer goes on dragon's back with no gear and flies away, it's believable in 3D if the animation doesn't look real. I just see Temeraire with a mix of real actors, real landscapes and 3D dragons. For instance when a royal couple enters a tent on dragon's back in Black Powder War and flies away, then would you believe that couple of minutes after being airborne there is still a tent on the dragon's back? It's easy to do in 3D but is it believable?

I'm not taking this too seriously. I'm just entertaining myself while I see the TV-series unfolding in my head.

message 11: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

Chrome3d wrote: "I agree that with fantasy books there are things that shouldn't be thought about. I still said in the OP that I was suspicious how some things would look IN A MOVIE OR TV-SERIES. Some stuff that ca..."

No, I see what you are saying. Thank you for bringing the question to the thread.
Anyway, I am sure there will be couple of irregularities, like with any movie/tv show.
I myslef have wondered how they are going to accomplish catching a dragon on screen that is that BIG. I just can't see it.

message 12: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

Ya, it does. And I think Peter Jackson will care. He did read the books after all.

message 13: by Cole, Admiral Moody (last edited Oct 15, 2012 07:51PM) (new)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope is in my heart, please don't be crushed!

message 14: by Sevri (new)

Sevri | 3 comments so, to comment on the goggles thing, i THINK that in the second book it was mentioned that Chinese aviators wore goggles, but i'm not sure and can't check because i don't have the book :(

message 15: by Cole, Admiral Moody (new)

I don't recall that. But maybe you are right. I will see if I can find it.