Paper Back Swap discussion

General > What are you reading in January?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Christ the Lord:The Road to Cana by Anne Rice.

message 2: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) Heartsick by Chelsea Cain

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 48 comments Mod
I'm reading:

Secret Speakers by KSR Kingworth

and then I'll start
War and Peace - we'll see how far I get

message 4: by Cayr (new)

Cayr (cawulff) | 22 comments I'm reading "Modoc : The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived"
"The Dogs of Bedlam Farm"
and "Suburban Safari: a year on the lawn"

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (tasha_the_booklover) | 1 comments I'm currently reading Romeo, Romeo by Robyn Kaye in paperback and listening to Savannah Breeze by Mary Kay Andrews in audio format.

message 8: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 6 comments
I just finished read 2 fantastic books. Well, one book and one graphic novel. (no spoilers here)

The book is "Brides of the Impaler" by Edward Lee.
It is one heck of a roller coaster ride! The story is VERY well thought out and there are surprises all the way to the final page.
There are several leading characters with the major one being Cristina. She is the axis upon which the entire story revolves. At times I found myself yelling at her for being so dumb (IMHO).

If you want a good, frightening and historical horror story, you must read "Brides of the Impaler".

If you know anything about the history of Vlad the Impaler, you'll know a little bit of what goes on. But really is a small part of the story. Overall, the story is pretty crude, rude and outright spooky!

The graphic novel is "The Good Neighbors: Book One-The Kin" by Holly Black and Ted Naifeh.
It is a wonderfully heartwarming tale of a young woman, Rue Silver, and what happens when she finds out certain things about her family. The story gets to you right away and you really feel for Rue.
The artwork by Ted is outstanding as always. He has worked on some pretty cool books in the past. From Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things to Death Jr.
I especially like that it is done in black and white tones. The art HAS to be good when you work this way.

"The Good Neighbors: Book One-The Kin" is a great story to read and look at for anyone of any age. (young adult and up) I can hardly wait for Book Two!

message 9: by William (new)

William (acknud) World War Z by Max Brooks

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling

message 11: by Jackie (new)

William, you'll have to tell me what you think of WWZ. I don't really do zombie books but I liked it!

message 12: by William (new)

William (acknud) Jackie wrote: "William, you'll have to tell me what you think of WWZ. I don't really do zombie books but I liked it!"

It is not what I expected at all. I am pleasantly surprised. It reads like a documentary ...I like the interview like format. I have read his Zombie survival guide as well.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

William.. I think that's one reason I liked it. I heard part of the audio book and then when I said something about reading the book, my husband went into his office and pulled it off his shelf and gave it to me (I didn't know he had it!!)

I liked the documentary feel and the fact it was a "after" kind of thing, not a story of the actual zombie war or whatever.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean Koontz

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

The Copper Scroll by Joel C. Rosenberg

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel I have read Women of Silk by Gail Tsukiyama, It Came From Berkeley, and Died in the Wool: A Torie O'Shea Mystery by Rett MacPherson.

Now I'm reading Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (crystalrose) | 28 comments I'm reading Heartland by David Wiltse. I've never read him before. He was recommended to me by a friend. It's pretty good so far!