The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Historical Group Reads > June/July 2012 Group Read: The Dark before Dawn

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Thanks Kathryn for leading the discussion of The Dark Before Dawn this month.

message 2: by Krystol (new)

Krystol the link isnt working for me on my tablet...who is the author?

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Laurie StevensLaurie Stevens

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments Donna wrote: "Thanks Kathryn for leading the discussion of The Dark Before Dawn this month."

I look forward to it.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments This is my first discussion. I read The Dark Before Dawn last year when it came out. I guess I should possibly give an overview. The story is about Gabriel McRay, a L.A. Sheriff detective, who is getting fired for police brutality. There are a series of murders happening that seem to have a link to Gabriel. This forces the department to keep Gabriel on so that he can flush out the killer. Problem is that Gabriels has black-outs and it looks like he could be the killer.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I will get a chance to read it during this group read.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 64 comments Thanks for the overview. I'll be reading it - but so far I've only finished the prologue =)

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments Suzanne wrote: "Thanks for the overview. I'll be reading it - but so far I've only finished the prologue =)"

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Glad to have you on the discussion.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments Linda wrote: "Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I will get a chance to read it during this group read."

I hope that you do get the chance to read the book - I would love to have you in this discussion!

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 152 comments I am reading the other selection for this month first, but it's a very fast read. I'm a bit laid up right now so I think I'll be doing a lot of reading. I should be able to start this one in a few days or so.

message 11: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 39 comments I am not quite finished, and I don't want to add a spoiler, but I really almost cried at one point. Especially with current news in the US. Very well written. Very sorrowful.

message 12: by Shell (new)

Shell | 9 comments I recently finished reading 'The Dark before Dawn', a good police procedural except the crime scenes were too grisly and graphic. I did learn a bit more about symptoms of 'Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, fugue states and chakras. The book was a page turner.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments Shell wrote: "I recently finished reading 'The Dark before Dawn', a good police procedural except the crime scenes were too grisly and graphic. I did learn a bit more about symptoms of 'Post Traumatic Stress Di..."

I thought it was a page turner too. I really didn't mind the crime scenes - I keep thinking of what I see when I watch CSI on television. I enjoyed the way the chakras were tied into the murders.

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments G wrote: "I am not quite finished, and I don't want to add a spoiler, but I really almost cried at one point. Especially with current news in the US. Very well written. Very sorrowful."

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

message 15: by G (last edited Jun 26, 2012 05:09PM) (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 39 comments I finished reading this on my way home from work today. I give it 4 stars because I think it was very well written and well plotted. The revelations regarding Gabriel slowly evolved and built on one another. If we could talk about the plot development and secondary characters, I'd say more. The reason I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 for this genre just occurred to me. It is because the love interest seemed too easy, too pat, too formulaic. Regardless, I'll read this author again.

And, comparing it to Whiskey Sour Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1) by J.A. Konrath which I read before this group read, it is a LOT less revoltingly graphic and most of the characters have more depth. And the violence fits the character development and back story which did not occur in Whiskey Sour. (imo)

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 152 comments G,
I, too, have just finished Whiskey Sour and I find this a much better read. Even though both books have perverse subject matter, this book handles it better, in my opinion.
I'm about 3/4 of the way through and I have been enjoying this book. It's a page-turner for me as well! I think I will have to finish it tonight!!

message 17: by Shell (new)

Shell | 9 comments Kathryn wrote: "Shell wrote: "I recently finished reading 'The Dark before Dawn', a good police procedural except the crime scenes were too grisly and graphic. I did learn a bit more about symptoms of 'Post Traum..."
I agree it was interesting the way the chakras were tied into the murders.
Thanks for suggesting this mystery and for leading the discussion.l

message 18: by Krystol (new)

Krystol A cop with a past he can't remember.. anger he can't control... blackout periods where finds himself in different clothes, in different locations and now there is a serial killer loose in his jurisdiction that is leaving him notes, telling him "we are one". I really liked this book. I did find it was a bit predictable but still the chase was worth reading and to find out how it was gonna end. I did like the characters in the story. They were relatable and felt real. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good page turner. I read this book within a day so it was a fast paced read and a good story.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments G wrote: "I finished reading this on my way home from work today. I give it 4 stars because I think it was very well written and well plotted. The revelations regarding Gabriel slowly evolved and built on ..."

I agree. I think that they way the story was written the character fo Gabriel is presented to the reader through out the book. I like to suspense of getting to understand the main character.

message 20: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments Krystol wrote: "A cop with a past he can't remember.. anger he can't control... blackout periods where finds himself in different clothes, in different locations and now there is a serial killer loose in his juris..."

I could not imagine my life turned upside down like this. I like the way the author portrays Gabriel in a constant fight between being a tough cop and scared child. Makes me wonder how many people deal with this in real life?

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 64 comments I finally finished the book last night, and really liked it. I thought not knowing what was happening with Gabriel kept it quite suspenseful, and (don't read unless you've finished the book) (view spoiler). I had read Whiskey Sour first, and while I liked its humor, I thought this book was a better mystery.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Susan | 6 comments I loved this book!! So happy to have joined a group here, and looking forward to finding and sharing for lots of new authors!!! Thanks :-)

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments Suzanne wrote: "I finally finished the book last night, and really liked it. I thought not knowing what was happening with Gabriel kept it quite suspenseful, and (don't read unless you've finished the book) [spoi..."

I am glad that you commented on the discussion. I have been a fan since the book came out last year. I, too, liked the way the author kept everyone in suspense. This book kept me guessing which is unusual - typically I figure out the ending before I am through reading or watching TV for that matter.

message 24: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments Lori wrote: "I loved this book!! So happy to have joined a group here, and looking forward to finding and sharing for lots of new authors!!! Thanks :-)"

Lori - I'm glad you joined this group - there are a lot of great books that are read with the group. I am gad to hear you enjoyed The Dark Before Dawn. Tell me what you enjoyed about the book?

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Whiskey Sour (other topics)
The Dark Before Dawn (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laurie Stevens (other topics)