Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay question

Did Peeta really loved Katniss the way he used to before he was hijacked
Rebeca Rebeca Jun 14, 2012 06:06PM
I want to know your opinion, cause I really hate the ending of the book. I dindt felt nothing by reading it the way I felt when I read hunger games and catching fire.
I really think that he didnt love her the way he once did (really deep and meaningfull) because of the hijack, and I also didnt think that she loved him all that much... she simply went with the situation, and with Gale gone, and having Peeta just around the corner she simply grab what she had near.

I think Peeta loved Katniss the same way as he always had. His love for her was always self-sacrificing and unselfish.

Throughout Mockingjay, we can see Peeta fighting the hijacking and he successfully rids himself of the programming before the final pages of the book as we can see with his refusal to let Katniss take the nightlock after killing Coin and his impassioned pleas to vote against Coin's hunger games.

The next time we see Peeta is when he plants the primroses outside Katniss' house. He says that he had been released "yesterday" from the custody of the Capitol therapist helping him recover from the hijacking. When he was released, he immediately went to Katniss' side and tried to help her recover. She was his life and the day after he was allowed to exit the Capitol, he went directly to her but instead of approaching her with questions, demands, etc. he just planted the primroses - hoping it would help Katniss deal with Prim's death. He knew that event would still be weighing heavily on Katniss. And Peeta didn't expect anything in return, he just showed up and started giving to her because she is his home. He rightly said in Catching Fire that if she died he would have nothing.

Peeta is Katniss' anchor. When he was in the Capitol's hands, she craved him. When she found he had been hijacked and thought he was lost to her forever, she grieved him and sensing she couldn't live without him, she decided to kill Snow and then die. When they were in the Capitol on their mission she wanted to protect him and help him heal. Until Peeta returned to 12, Katniss was emotionally vacant, but when she saw him looking normal (his eyes were unclouded) planting the primroses outside of her house, she immediatly became self-aware and energized - she woke up from her haze of grief - she had hope.

They started hanging out (he would come over for meals) and helping each other heal and eventually they worked on the book together and grieved all of the people they had lost during the war. But because she hadn't been doing her therapy like Peeta had, (P delivered the message from her therapist that he couldn't keep pretending to treat her anymore) it took a while for Katniss to catch back up to Peeta romantically. But once she got serious about getting better, she was able to rekindle her feelings for Peeta. She even recovered to the point that she was able to have kids with him - something she was always too afraid to do before.

It was Peeta's love for Katniss that pulled him out of his hijacking and Katniss' love for Peeta that pulled her out of her self-destructive depression.

Their love was deeper than it ever had been because they both knew that they needed each other - it wasn't lopsided or childish any more - it was real and tangible and tested.

Courtney See Melissa? You get it. :) I love those books and if they weren't packed away (I moved recently) I'd pull them out for a re-read. Thanks for commenti ...more
Sep 24, 2014 07:50AM · flag

I think much of the passion that they may have felt has been burnt out by too much emotional overload. Too many people they loved dying, killing too many people.

Now, there is quiet support for each other. Love comes in may different forms, and perhaps this is what both of them need.

I think with everything they've been through, they are who they are in the end. Really, you have to consider that the story is told from Katniss's perspective. She has come out of a deep depression and continues to suffer from PTSD. She is now detached and jaded, and her narration reflects that. I agree with Mark that their love definitely changed by the awful circumstances they endured. I hope that they grow into a couple like Finnick and Annie were, both traumatized, but the only ones who are able to understand and support one another. It's too bad their story isn't fleshed out in the end. I do agree it is too abrupt and the narration left me feeling a little empty. But the beauty of it is that it reflects how Katniss feels a lot of the time.

I think he loved her differently, but I think he still did love her. I mean, his ability to trust reality was completely screwed, so what do you expect? He could never love her the way he did before. But she stuck with him through all of that, and I would imagine that he loves her for that now.

No, I mean people can argue he loved an image of Katniss until mockingjay and that might be true. I do think his initial love was a little childish in THG but got stronger in CF. I don’t ever think he’ll love her in the same way he did but I also think that’s kinda good.

The love was definately different, changed by the awfull circumstances they endured. I think they developed the kind of comfortable slow growing love over time but lacking some of the original passion.

yes you are right, once peeta lost his memory he lost more than that, he lost his connection with katniss, and they`re connection they used to have, was a strong unbreakable love. Now, im not saying that he does not love katniss, im just saying he`ll never love katniss the same way he once did in in the hunger games and catching fire

due to spoilers i figured out that he'd get brainwashed, which got me ranting about how it wouldn't be the same if they just tried to tell him how he loved her, and that I'd only be happy if they restored it, but as i read it i realized that he didn't forget everything, his memories were just overshadowed. Through Mockingjay he was able to gradually look past the venom, so i believe he still loves her

I don't think that Peeta felt the same way for Katniss like before. For me it's like Suzanne Collins got bored writing the last book. The books' ending is kind of depressing for me -_-=

I think: no.

The hijacking changed everything.

Hannah (last edited Jul 02, 2012 04:31PM ) Jul 02, 2012 04:26PM   0 votes
To me the ending felt ackward. Kind of forced. I could feel the changes in the characters, and I didn't like the feeling. I think it would have been better if Katniss had chose neither. After everything, I honestly think it would be better if Katniss just decided be by herself for awhile.

Although I do also agree with what Courtney said. I didn't like the changes in the characters, or how the ending felt, but what Courtney said about Peeta and Katniss are true.

I didn't like the epilogue. I wouldn have prefered it if the book had ended without it; with Katniss answering Peeta's "Real or Not Real" question.

At first I was so furious that they didn't have the same kind of love as they did before, but I'm slowing accepting that it's really not possible for them to have a love that is identical to what they did in the first two books between what has happened to them and the remaining PTSD. Despite the fact that circumstances have changed their love, I still think Peeta still truly loves Katniss, and she loves him. I really think she made her choice long before Gale left, and stuck to it because she loves and needs Peeta just as much as he loves and needs her.

The same? No. Even if you don't go through great trauma, people are always changing. With that great a trauma, you put the pieces together and arrange them as best as you can. He'll probably always have some of the twisted memories to contend with, but he seems able to shrug them off.

Candace (last edited Jun 15, 2012 03:30PM ) Jun 15, 2012 03:30PM   -1 votes
DONT KNOW TO BE HONEST I MEAN COME ON THE DUDE HAD TO BE TOLD IF AN EVENT WAS REAL OR NOT REAL....IN THE END THEY COULD'NT MAKE IT WITHOUT EACH OTHER BECAUSE THEY BOTH ENDED UP MENTALLY BROKEN...AND ALL THAT REALLY MATTERED WAS THAT THEY HAD EACH OTHER TO KEEP THE MONSTERS AWAY AT NIGHT. after what thet've been through who cares if he loved her in the same way... am surprised they still know what love is.

F 25x33
Leah I agree! Yes! So what, if they weren't PERFECT? No couples are, and they had lot of obstacles to overcome, but they both love each other, and make eac ...more
Jan 04, 2021 04:55AM · flag

it's a difficult situation. i felt that with everything they went through it just left them raw. can you imagine having gone through that kind of ordeal, it would leave someone unsure of everything and everyone. however, they can keep each other grounded. they can count on each other. so i'll understand if they're not as sure as when they first started.