The Sword and Laser discussion

Henry Jacoby
This topic is about Henry Jacoby
Interview questions for Henry Jacoby

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
We're interviewing author Henry Jacoby about his book, Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords.

Description:
An in-depth look at the philosophical issues behind HBO's Game of Thrones television series and the books that inspired it.

George R.R. Martin's New York Times bestselling epic fantasy book series, A Song of Ice and Fire, and the HBO television show adapted from it, have earned critical acclaim and inspired fanatic devotion. This book delves into the many philosophical questions that arise in this complex, character-driven series, including: Is it right for a "good" king to usurp the throne of a "bad" one and murder his family? How far should you go to protect your family and its secrets? In a fantasy universe with medieval mores and ethics, can female characters reflect modern feminist ideals?

Let us know if you have any questions!

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments That sounds really neat.

Was he a fan of Game of Thrones before writing the book, or did he decide to write the book owing to the popularity of the series and the HBO show?

I presume that for his research for the book, he read all of the books. Does he try to keep his book "spoiler free" for those who haven't done anything but watch the HBO shows?

Obviously, some of the topics he delves into are also applicable in society at large and are rather polarizing/contentious. Does he try to make any larger revelations/statements about society and the current world?

I see he's also written a book on House, MD. In the course of doing his writing, what kind of parallels between the ethical and philosophical issues in House did he see with GoT?

message 3: by Walrus (new)

Walrus | 80 comments When are you physically doing the interview, or better yet when do you need our questions by.

This books sounds muy interasante so I'd like to know if there is time to read it. I don't know if I can come with good questions without know more about him.

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
Walrus wrote: "When are you physically doing the interview, or better yet when do you need our questions by.

This books sounds muy interasante so I'd like to know if there is time to read it. I don't know if ..."

Interview is Tuesday.