Middle Earth Geeks discussion

Group Reads > Nominations for group read

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connor, LOTR EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!! (new)

Connor (connork) | 147 comments Mod
Alright, I decided that we should let you members nominate a few books and we'll cast a vote on what to read for a few months.

Also, any suggestions on how long we should read?

message 2: by Connor, LOTR EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!! (new)

Yeah, that is a good place to begin. Anyone else have suggestions?

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookspirit99) The hobbit. I started there and the movie is coming!

message 4: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments Farmer Giles of Ham. and JRRT's essay, "Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics".

message 6: by Connor, LOTR EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!! (new)

How about Smith of Wootton Major & Farmer Giles of Ham since they're usually together.

message 7: by Connor, LOTR EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!! (new)

Thom wrote: "Farmer Giles of Ham. and JRRT's essay, "Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics"."

I did not know he had an interpretation of Beowulf! I guess I should've known since he translated many of those tales, but wow! I'm gonna have to remember that!

message 8: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments He also wrote a short play about The Battle of Maldon called something like "The Homecoming of Berthelm, Beortnoth's Son", and I have been told, but not seen, that he wrote a novel in Indo-European as regenerated by glotto-chronology. For a sense of the man, one could do worse than his Father Christmas stories. And his is the definitive text of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. The Journal of English and Germanic Philology (JEGP) is now available on line, and somewhere there must be a bibliography of Tolkien's academic work.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Elizabeth (anna_elizabeth) Farmer Giles of Ham...Roverandom...The Children of Hurin...The Silmarillion...The Hobbit...The Lord of the Rings...

message 10: by Hadley (new)

Hadley (ewlyn) | 9 comments Michael wrote: "Begin at the beginning!

The Silmarillion"

I agree with Michael!

message 11: by Saffia (new)

Saffia (long4adventure) | 15 comments Haven't read Children of Hurin. Is it a goodread?

The stories in the Silmarion are my favorite. Farmer Giles of Ham would be a good one to start on.

message 12: by Connor, LOTR EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!! (new)

The Children of Hurin is amazing! You need to read it.

message 13: by Norbert (new)

Norbert (norbertbook) | 3 comments May I suggest a book about Tolkien?

It has just been translated in English "The broken schyte" published by Walking Tree. It's a book formed by different articles about death and immortality in Tolkien's books.

I read the original version in italian (La falce spezzata) and it's really interesting.

message 14: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookspirit99) Interesting!

message 15: by Norbert (new)

Norbert (norbertbook) | 3 comments Here is the link to the book's page
http://www.walking-tree.org/books/the...

message 16: by Saffia (last edited Jul 01, 2012 02:19PM) (new)

Saffia (long4adventure) | 15 comments Just read Children of Hurin.
interesting,but absolutely scary beyond my comprehension! Why can't the good people always get a happy ending.

message 17: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 6 comments Sophy wrote: "Just read Children of Hurin.
interesting,but absolutely scary beyond my comprehension! Why can't the good people always get a happy ending."

Teutonic gloom.

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookspirit99) i know right? this group likes to procrastinate!

message 19: by Julius (new)

Julius (bookseeker007) | 9 comments Hey, the mods might have to step in and say it's time. Just let me know; I'm game.

message 20: by Connor, LOTR EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!! (new)

Michael wrote: "SOOOOO, is this group read gonna happen or not? I am itching to get back to Middle-earth, but needed something to read so I started the The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks last week! Those are s..."

Sorry, yeah we kinda are procrastinating. It's hard for us all to get on consistently, but I guess we could sometime soon. I'm halfway through Les Miserables, but I could get my rear in gear and try to get this group into action.

message 21: by FantasyFan J (new)

FantasyFan J (ff101spch) | 10 comments How about The Children of Hurin?

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Futers (gruffling) | 16 comments Just added the Broken Scythe to my "to read" list - thanks for the pointer.