Saxton B. Library Reads - Columbia, CT discussion

Oh, those reading lists

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Saxton B. Little Staff | 120 comments Mod
Got a good themed reading list to share...bring it on! I'll begin the discussion with this one I saw on Flavorwire...

Thirty Books Everyone Should Read Before They're Thirty

message 2: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments I see that I've read maybe a half-dozen books from that list. And, I'm waaay past thirty! Yikes!

You and me both! but who says only the young have a market on anything :)

Borrowing this list from Sarah Weinman's Blog Off on a Tangent (I saw it on Books on the Nightstand)

Here's a great list of titles for those of us who loved Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl:

Crime Reading List

message 5: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments I checked out the Crime Reading List. I don't seem to read a lot of crime novels. I used to. I have NO IDEA why I've gotten away from that genre. I'll need to try one or two from the list.

Doreen wrote: "I have NO IDEA why I've gotten away from that genre. I'll need to try one or two from the list."

Some of the crime books today are gruesome. Maybe you're looking for a gentler, kinder, happier read.
Many people are shying away from the brutality. In the books to movies discussion you mentioned The Girl Trilogy. I saw the them all and read them all. Brutal, but I liked them, books as well as movies. How about you? Did you read them?

message 7: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments I read all three of 'The Girl' trilogy and saw all three movies. I haven't seen the Hollywood version though. I like foreign films better than Hollywood. Foreign films are usually grittier and stay true to the tone of the story.

Going back decades....I loved reading, "To Kill a Mockingbird" and loved seeing the movie too. I think for me, the book and movie both have to be powerful and must hold a strong resemblance, each to the other.

After seeing the original Girl Trilogy, I was surprised at how well Hollywood did with their version. It was good but I still liked the original better. If I had not seen these I might be less biased.

It's wonderful when Hollywood gets it right.

Here's another great list I came across today. I must be honest and confess I don't watch Mad Men but I know many of you do so here's a list compiled by Billy Parrott, Mid-Manhattan Library, Art and Picture Collections (NYPL)

Mad Men Reading List

message 10: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments I checked out the Mad Men list. Just what I DON'T NEED; more books to add to my 'to-read' list!!! I don't watch Mad Men either, but I hear lots of good stuff from those who do watch it. I read some of the comments. I'm going to mention the list to the people at our library who choose the themes for our ever-changing displays. Maybe they'll do a Mad Men display!

message 11: by Saxton B. Little (new)

That might be a good display for our library too! I'll keep it in mind as I'm always looking for display ideas.

message 12: by Saxton B. Little (last edited Jul 25, 2012 08:49AM) (new)

Ok, here's an odd list as posted by the LA Times with interesting choices. You'll note I added my own title to their article.
Close to Shore by Michael Capuzzo.

Nine Books Not to Read at the Beach

Got any of your own to keep you out of the water?

message 13: by Saxton B. Little (new)

The Library of Congress picks 88 books that shaped America

"This list is a starting point,” said Librarian of Congress James H. Billington. “It is not a register of the ‘best’ American books – although many of them fit that description. Rather, the list is intended to spark a national conversation on books written by Americans that have influenced our lives, whether they appear on this initial list or not.”

So what do you think? Good list or not?

message 14: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Yes, it's a good list. There's a good mix of titles and authors. I wouldn't take any OFF this list, but I'm sure there are dozens more we could ADD to the list!

message 15: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Not for me, but shouldn't the Bible be in there?

message 16: by Saxton B. Little (new)

Doreen wrote: "Not for me, but shouldn't the Bible be in there?"

Good question.

When I first saw the list, it was in regards to how many women were represented. I think it was only 16 or something close to that.

I like that you can nominate your own titles for consideration and the theme.

The Librarian of Congress James H. Billingtonstate that this is just a starting point so this will be a list to watch.

message 17: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Saxton B. Little wrote: "Doreen wrote: "Not for me, but shouldn't the Bible be in there?"

Good question.

When I first saw the list, it was in regards to how many women were represented. I think it was only 16 or somethi..."

Well, I guess my suggestion is indeed the Bible. The idea of God and religion was planted in our country with its first settlers. Our currency, our justice system; both reference God. Our laws, especially the older ones, rely heavily on religion.

I'm curious to watch this list too!
Saxton B. Little wrote: "Doreen wrote: "Not for me, but shouldn't the Bible be in there?"

Good question.

When I first saw the list, it was in regards to how many women were represented. I think it was only 16 or somethi..."

message 18: by Saxton B. Little (last edited Aug 09, 2012 01:47PM) (new)

Here's a list posted by NPR. Readers voted for their favorite teen books of all time and these are the 100 that received the most votes. Some great reading here for your teen or even yourself.
100 Best Ever Teen Novels

message 19: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Okay... I'm going to take a look. At the moment, it just so happens that I'm with our teen librarian! I'm curious to hear what she thinks of the list!

message 20: by Saxton B. Little (new)

There are a few classics, and a few older titles but most seem very contemporary to me.

I'm not even certain I can remember anything all that memorable from my teen years. I know I was reading romance and V.C. Andrews, horror and school reading assignments but few have stayed with me.

I'm not familiar with all the titles on this voted list and will probably look them up.

I know many of these are popular with our teens at our library.

message 21: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Saxton B. Little wrote: "There are a few classics, and a few older titles but most seem very contemporary to me.

I'm not even certain I can remember anything all that memorable from my teen years. I know I was reading ro..."

Well, our teen librarian printed out copies for each of us. She looked it over and realized she has read approximately half the books on the list! I put a couple of them on hold for myself after discussing the list with her. I also pass on the lists you post. It's such a great way to learn about book selections and to spark conversations with the patrons and coworkers! Keep them coming!

message 22: by Saxton B. Little (new)

I think it's great that your teen librarian printed the list and that you had a conversation about the titles.

Be certain to let us know what you read and what you thought. I think it's interesting to read teen title and comment from the adult point of view.

And I will keep those lists coming as its a good way to keep a log of them.

I enjoy your comments and glad you're part of our group.

message 23: by Saxton B. Little (last edited Sep 16, 2012 10:01AM) (new)

NPR asked and 75,000 answered...Here's the link to reader's favorites Top 100 Teen Books

Any missing?

message 24: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments I have "Thirteen Reasons Why" that I plan to begin reading soon. It was required summer reading here, so I look forward to experiencing firsthand what is being read at the high school level, especially now that my sons are adults. I recently read, "The Fault in our Stars", by John Green and was touched by the simplicity and sincerity of youth. It was very touching.

message 25: by Saxton B. Little (new)

Oh, so many books. If I started to add all the worthy Young Adult fiction to my list, I'd have to be reincarnated of become triplets! I have read a few YA. The Hunger Games Trilogy was a favorite. Have heard such good things about John Green.

message 26: by Saxton B. Little (new)

If you need a great book for book discussion I don't think you could go wrong with one of these titles as listed by The Women's National Book Association.
I've read a few of these and absolutely loved The Absolutist by John Boyne. How about you? Any favorites here:

National Reading Group Month Great Reads

message 27: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments No favorites here, but some could become favorites, I suppose. So...YOU'RE KILLING ME WITH THESE LISTS! I love, love, love the lists! Keep them coming!

message 28: by Saxton B. Little (new)

Doreen wrote: "No favorites here, but some could become favorites, I suppose. So...YOU'RE KILLING ME WITH THESE LISTS! I love, love, love the lists! Keep them coming!"
Doreen, thank you...I love them too!

message 29: by Saxton B. Little (new)

Last month the longlist for The Giller Award was announced. The award honors excellence in "Canadian fiction – long format or short stories". The finalists should be announced today.

The 2012 Giller Longlist

message 30: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Saxton B. Little wrote: "Last month the longlist for The Giller Award was announced. The award honors excellence in "Canadian fiction – long format or short stories". The finalists should be announced today.

The 2012 Gill..."

I checked out this link. None of the authors or book titles are familiar, but that part of the fun, for me! And, today is October 1st, so the winner will be announced!

message 31: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments BTW...just finished reading, "Thirteen Reasons Why". Profound subject and a phenomenal way of telling a story!

message 32: by Saxton B. Little (new)

Yesterday YALSA announced this year's "Teens’ Top Ten." Book groups nationwide suggested titles, and young people all over the country voted for their favorites. Check out the list!

2012 Teens’ Top Ten Winners!

message 33: by Saxton B. Little (new)

Over the years I've found some great reading lists at AbeBooks in their Avid Reader section. See the current list here:
Madness of Mental Illness Explored Through Books