Q&A with Joanne Phillips discussion

Can't Live Without
This topic is about Can't Live Without
Print or e? What's your preference?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
As many of you know, Can't Live Without is currently available only as an ebook on Kindle. This is the future for many authors, but I'm still hankering after seeing my book in print. Am I a dinosaur or what? Personally, if I really want to read a book I don't mind if it's on my Kindle or in print - if both then I guess cost will influence my decision. What about you guys? E or print or don't you mind?

message 2: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 6 comments I did not think I would enjoy using a Kindle and I only bought one because I published my own novel on the Kindle and it was a useful way of seeing what it looked like. Now I'm an addict and hardly buy any paper books, as there is so much choice on the Kindle for books and they tend to be cheaper. But I had many requests for a paperback version of my novel and I recently arranged for it to be set up on Createspace and over 300 people have bought the paperback version and it sells well in the local shops here so it has been worthwhile - and I have to say the printed version is lovely to look at and it almost makes me feel like a real published writer. The whole publishing experience was virtually free and I would advise avoiding any service that costs you anything.

I downloaded Can't live without last night as my bedtime reading - looking good so far!!!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
Hello Frankie,
First of all, thanks for buying my book and I really hope you enjoy it :) And I'm so glad you mentioned Createspace - I'm currently decided how to proceed with the paperback of Can't Live Without, and obviously CS is a top contender, so it's great to hear you've been happy with the quality and service. Your novel looks great - are you working on your next one?

message 4: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 6 comments Yes I am - I am working on two different novels - one set in Shetland, where I live and the other in Ireland where I used to live. I finished your book yesterday - I really enjoyed it.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
Wow, that's great. I've got two in the planning stage - a follow-up to CLW (glad you enjoyed it :)) and a sort of chick-lit/crime crossover novel. How are you doing with marketing and promoting your books - and finding time to write two more?

message 6: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 6 comments To be honest I have kind of stopped actively marketing the book, although it is still selling relatively well on its own. I did use the Amazon KDP free promotion which boosted sales a gazillion percent back in January. I work full time as well as write so there isn't much time for everything; and I edit other people's books, and I run a creative writing course, so all in all kind of busy. I find the marketing side the hardest, as I'm not much of a "hey look at me" kind of person. Then again, I don't know many writers who are, so I really ought to just bite the bullet and put more effort into it. How do you manage to juggle everything?

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
It is hard, and like you I find the whole 'look at me' thing hard. I'm comfortable with things like this on Goodreads because it's a conversation and I'm giving something back in terms of time and effort, but just firing out constant Tweets about my book or continuously plugging it on Facebook etc is not my thing. Nor do I think it works, to be honest.

I read recently that a self-published author starts to find readers without huge effort on Kindle once they have at least 5 books for sale on there, and this makes sense to me, in terms of visibility and readers being willing to invest in you. So, the best marketing advice I've heard is Stop marketing and get on with writing the next book. Which you are doing, and loads besides! Is your creative writing course local or online?