Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Tangents/Off-Topic Discussions > lets show our support please

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments Ok speaking personally I am sick of all the haters out there flaming people, If you dont like something politely say so and move on, there is no need for anything more seriously haters go get on with your own life and stop ragging on everyone else's
ok guys we here in vf all love felicia lets show our support!
felicia thank you for making another awesome music video, I love country and of course gaming so i was so excited about seeing this its so much fun :)

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-bLm...
the video link was supposed to be in the above section oops! doh me lol

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (poppysocks70) I loved the video and I was brought up with the saying "if you haven't got anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."

Keep up the great work Felicia.

Mel (booksandsundry) (booksandsundry) It looked like a great fun video! You did a good job Felicia, don't listen to the nastiness out there.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ndayeni) | 64 comments I totally agree about the new video - it's just as awesome as the others have been (I seriously can't get "I'm the One That's Cool" out of my head a lot of the time). Keep up the great work Felicia, for there are a great many of your fans who love and appreciate all of your efforts.

I suggest you start linking the haters to this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz2jbCJXkpA

message 6: by Seawood (new)

Seawood We thought it was ace. :)

A big thank you also for "Game On" in particular, too - I'm training for Great Manchester Swim at the moment and my longest training session happens to be on a Tuesday night. I have the song on my waterproof MP3 player, set to come on about half-way through and the line "it's Tuesday night, let's do this raid!" always makes me laugh and gives me a bit more energy to keep going through the next couple of km.

Mind, I found out the hard way you can't sing along whilst you're swimming...:D

message 7: by Kamil (last edited Jun 14, 2012 07:28AM) (new)

Kamil | 938 comments I really loved the song; it has a positive vibe, and reminds me of songs like 'wild at heart' by gloriana. it was the kind of catchy, funny song I was in need of at this time of the year.

And I can point out one video that turns all the insults they brough into dust prooving how they're wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id23nV... ( that's what started my crush on Felicia
and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbFjeP... made any rehab futile )

message 8: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Althgrough I'm on the verge of loosing it and soon there might be a green giant in torn undies sitting in my chair I'm trying to find a good thing in the whole situation; at least for some day stray kittens will be left alone.

message 9: by Tangled (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 55 comments I think she looks great in Laura Croft Cosplay gear. I think the people who dislike this have no sense of humor. So sad.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments Tangled wrote: "I think she looks great in Laura Croft Cosplay gear. I think the people who dislike this have no sense of humor. So sad."

I was pretty surprised that a petite red head with realistic physique worked so well in that outfit. But I guess that's why she's an actress ,-)

The song itself. Well, I'm not into country, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few songs I can like. This one is catchy and entertaining enough to definitely not be "offended" by. In fact, I think I even like it better than Avatar (so I guess my dislike for electronic-y trumps country?)

Also, I really like how she keeps experimenting with different types of music, instead of just rehashing what worked the first time. It's one sign that she really does it for fun and not with the sole intent to sell it on iTunes.

Besides, is it me, or did she put on a very different voice than usual? I probably wouldn't have recognized it, especially since there seemed to be an accent I never noticed before (letting the Texan shine through?)

I'm already curious to see which genre is next (I can't stand rap, but I think the resulting sh*tstorm would be funny to watch.. though Felicia probably wouldn't stoop down to trolling the trolls) ,-)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 32 comments I liked it a lot. Not much of a country music fan, but it was catchy and fun. I dig the opposites attract love story!

message 12: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Thanks you guys, what was meant as a casual fun video turned into something way different, but there's clearly something going on in our society now, between gamers hating on women, to the Michigan state house censoring a woman for saying Vagina..I guess the positive is that there's a movement building among women AND men to fight this stuff. So, worse things could happen, even if I had a really really depressing week. Threads like this are really lovely to read, so THANKS :)

message 13: by Alex (last edited Jun 15, 2012 11:16PM) (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments I need to hijack this for a bit...

My perspective might be skewed on this and some are welcome to call me names if this comes across as pitying women or if saying "I'm glad I'm not a woman" comes off wrong (the reason is simple and stated right above me.. unless I take too long writing this).

Women are kind of vital for the continued existence of our funny little human race. Sure, I guess in about 99.9% of all cases we guys are still involved in it. But all we have to do is pop up for the fun part and that's it. No morning sickness, no aching back, no giving birth and not having to deal with monthly annoyances.

So purely from that point of view, we guys already dodged quite a bullet and the very least we can do in return is showing some respect.

Instead women are often treated as second choice. Got a man and a woman applying for a job, being about equally qualified? Well, the guy won't suddenly go pregnant on you and disappear for maternity leave, so he gets preferred.

On average, he also gets paid more, so when it's time to decide who goes on parental leave, guess what? It's generally the one with the lower income. Or the ability to breastfeed. Or simply a much closer emotional bound to the child she had growing inside her.

If a man is in charge, no matter the rules or laws, there is a good chance he will be influenced by other considerations (some might be valid, most will be not). In a male dominated working place, will introducing a female disturb things? Will half the guys suddenly prefer hanging around her desk than doing their job? Evil prejudice: woman are always so emotional and PMSing all the time. We can't have that at work.

So they often have to work twice as hard and get paid a lot less. Hooray for equality.. on paper.

In return they can be lucky if they get to vote. Some might say "oh, but that's just the eastern world". The last canton of Switzerland allowed women to vote in 1990. That's not exactly 3rd world. It's also one big WTF.

I can understand why someone would disadvantage women at work and believe it's a rational decision. But how is there any way to rationalize not letting half of your population vote?

In regard to Brown's comment: fine, it may have been a little snide. Yet it was pretty harmless and most of all, it seemed pretty appropriate. I'm not a woman, but I'd imagine that abortion is a pretty sensitive issue and a very personal and difficult choice. I'd be more than a little "snide" if some men think they are equipped to legislate this kind of thing and force their choices on me (especially if they are based on or argued with whatever bs they make up about "what god wants").

Are they seriously saying that's enough to be censored? Could we then also get rid of all the Dicks in politics (or at least call them Richard)? What kind of Kindergarten is this, anyway? "Oh no, she said Vagina... but secretly we're just huffy".

I'm not saying women should be put on a pedestal out of pity, but treated as equals out of respect (and because they are.. and where they are not, the genders usually complement each other.. one of those "nature is pretty smart" things).

However, can we find a new word for "feminism"? I'm getting the impression that many guys take it as "women wanting to take over the world" and oppose it for no better reason than simply not getting it.

I'll need to let my blood pressure come down for a bit... sometimes mankind just p**es me off.

Just in time... almost missed the deadline for that "Tropes" kickstarter.

message 14: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Felicia wrote: "Thanks you guys, what was meant as a casual fun video turned into something way different, but there's clearly something going on in our society now, between gamers hating on women, to the Michigan..."

it's nothing unusuall, that successfull women were hated; the only difference is that in the past the haters called themselves " the holy inquisition"

But please, Felicia, i beg you, don't get their opinions get to you, the future generations need good role-models to follow

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments Alex wrote: "I need to hijack this for a bit...

My perspective might be skewed on this and some are welcome to call me names if this comes across as pitying women or if saying "I'm glad I'm not a woman" comes ..."

wow thats some rant! but its one of the good ones, I agree with many things you said there especially that woman should be treated as equals out of respect :)

message 16: by Alex (last edited Jun 16, 2012 01:44AM) (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments Jane wrote: "I agree with many things you said there especially that woman should be treated as equals out of respect"

The funny thing is that the same reason applies to everybody else and not just women.

Somehow I just remembered something that always annoyed me. There have been a few voices saying that it is incredibly unfair that girls aren't forced to do military service (or the civil service alternative). Well, before the whole thing was dropped, because you ended up with spending tax money on thousands of people in uniform with nothing to do.

So there is one little thing, where for once, women are better off and some men instantly start whining about how unfair it is? The only unfair thing about it would be to not allow them to join if they want to.

message 17: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments The reason the song and Felicia were attacked might be deeper than what they say: Felicia not only is a gamer/ geek but also rides into battle for the rights of gamers/geeks carring the gamer's banner. So by hurting her, those so called "haters" ( I bet some of them sung alongt to the song's lyrics) want to hurt us gamers

message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments Kamil wrote: "The reason the song and Felicia were attacked might be deeper than what they say: Felicia not only is a gamer/ geek but also rides into battle for the rights of gamers/geeks carring the gamer's ban..."

My first instinct is to ask "what would they gain from that"? Then I realized that no matter who was attacking whom for whatever reason is making any sense. I could probably make up a ton of silly excuses for flaming the video.. let's try and delve into the enemies mind.

Betrayal. A gamer girl being into a non-gamer? Treacherous . You insult male gamers by saying we're not good enough for you... (next we go back to talking about dating "outside your race"... or is that xxx still going on? It's so tedious to keep track of all the idiocy in the world...)

Mockery. You're not taking gaming with the utmost seriousness and your tongue-in-cheek depiction is making fun of us. We feel insulted and not even you looking damn hot as Lara Croft will make us forgive you. We demand a 50 pages treatment on the importance of pro gaming for modern society.

Impostor. We don't care how long and how much you have been gaming and that we haven't even heard of half the games you played before we were born. You call yourself a gamer, but you have a life and a career and so you are NOT a real gamer anymore. Stop making us feel bad about gaming being the only thing in our lives.

Awful. I hate country and every kind of music that isn't my favorite. How can you dare associating my beloved hobby with this garbage? Also, your yellow eye shadow clearly states that you think gamers have no taste. That should have been XBox green and you know it.

For shame. Pretending that gamers could EVER be accepted by the rest of society is making me mad. We want to be freaks, social outcasts, and feel good about our whining how the world hates and doesn't understand us. Don't you dare suggesting we aren't "that special".

Boring. Next time, put on a bikini and lick a Wiimote. We will still complain about you not being a real gamer, but at least it will buy you about 10min before we start posting.

Youtube. NOT trolling the comments would be bad form for any self-respecting Internet user. Really, I'm just doing my duty as a member of the YT audience.

message 19: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Alex wrote: "Also, your yellow eye shadow clearly states that you think gamers have no taste"

Hey! I liked the yellow eye shadow, and won't accept anymore badmouthing of it

message 20: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jglbeer) | 4 comments I posted something similar on the YT channel but i loved the video as its always makes me smile to see Felicia having fun. Shes awesome and i love the dancing at 3.52 :)

message 21: by Tangled (last edited Jun 16, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 55 comments @ Alex V.funny. :)

Even though I am a fan of old school Internet anonymity (as opposed to you newfangled social media types putting your names everywhere), I'm going to say that YT comments in particular support Penny Arcade's Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory.

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments Tangled wrote: "Penny Arcade's Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory."

As they say "it's funny, because it's true". At the same time, that also makes it pretty sad.

Speaking about anonymity. So very torn about the concept of laws requiring you to confirm your identity for online comments. Usually I would firmly oppose that idea and yet I would just love to see people held accountable for their insults and threats (because no matter what some trolls might wish to believe, that kind of thing is NOT covered under "freedom of speech".. at least not over here).

Looking back, my attempt to see it their way lasted less than a paragraph. Maybe I suck at empathy or maybe it's simply because it's stupid and doesn't make sense. I just don't get it. When I see something I don't like, I just move on. At no point does it occur to me that wasting the rest of my day (or even week) on it would even remotely resemble sane behavior.

Well, I guess this is an exception *cough*. But technically it's not about something I dislike, but about an attack on something (someone) I DO like. That makes it okay to dwell on it, right? Right?

And what IS the right way to respond to it? Making sure they realize you're laughing about them, don't them seriously and couldn't care less about their comments might be the best way to make them get bored and go away. But isn't ignoring like allowing, which is encouraging's little brother?

PS. Wow, I'm long winded. I need to increase my vocab, so I can say more in fewer words...

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments Even though I'm not a huge country fan (despite living in the south for a decade), I always watch Felicia's videos. They're usually about something nerdy, and almost always have cameos of my favorite geek celebs. And if I can't hang out and make fun, silly videos with her for a living, I appreciate being given the chance to watch Felicia and her friends have a good time and share the love of their work with us.

Having worked in Hollywood some, it's refreshing to see someone not only love what they do but also be able to make a career out of it without sacrificing her integrity.

Pardon my language, but fuck the trolls, Felicia. You're revolutionizing gaming, the entertainment industry, and geek culture. Half of those 12-yar-old trolls wouldn't have ever heard of 4chan or reddit if you hadn't helped make being a geek something that could be talked about openly in the first place.

message 24: by Tangled (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 55 comments Alex wrote: "Tangled wrote: "Penny Arcade's Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory."

As they say "it's funny, because it's true". At the same time, that also makes it pretty sad.

Speaking about anonymity. So very t..."

Honestly, I think that apathy is different than having a negative emotional reaction to something. It's easy to walk away from something you do not like. It's harder to walk away from something that upsets or angers you. If something rubs you the wrong way, you may speak out--and the more upset you are, the more effort you will put into it.

Now, I'm not sure what it was about that very funny and harmless video that upset people (maybe your suggestions were in play), but I think they may be targeting it because they have other issues and something pushed their buttons. I think in this case we may ask if they seem to have raised any issues we want to consider or if they simply seem to be projecting their own problems onto a public target. After all due consideration I'm judging it to be their problem.

There is nothing upsetting or hurtful in that song. You can't please everybody. I'm just glad that FD 's work pleases me. :) More videos please!

message 25: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Sarah wrote: "Even though I'm not a huge country fan (despite living in the south for a decade), I always watch Felicia's videos. They're usually about something nerdy, and almost always have cameos of my favori..."

I think the only FD's video I disliked was the tour of her houses in skyrim. Not that it wasn't great. Just had an issue whith the tail at the end.

message 26: by Alex (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments Tangled wrote: "There is nothing upsetting or hurtful in that song. You can't please everybody. I'm just glad that FD 's work pleases me. :) More videos please! "

It's almost embarrassing how this thread caused a strange desire to watch it again... and it's growing on me. Now I'm not even sure if I just bought it out of protest or...

Btw: it's available on Amazon as well now (even .de). Was there an announcement I missed? Well, if you're like me and reject iTunes out of principle...

Okay, ellipsis... not a good way to say more with fewer...

message 27: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloemelissa) | 57 comments The intensity of the hate/trolling does make it feel like it was somewhat orchestrated. Most of the comments didn't get going until a few hours after the post. I saw it earlier on and argued with a troll who was badmouthing the use of rockband and claiming no gamer would ever play it. However after one back and forth i bid adieu.

Country isn't my thing, but I appreciated all the geeky refs and the general concept. It was meant to be fun and light, and it succeeded. After later hearing about troll city I went back through some of the comments, and after a few pages I was ready to punch people in the face. I believe trolls and those harassing need to have some sort of consequence, however I think the issue of internet info registration is very risky. Hackers alone are reason enough to be wary, as well as the issue of someone typing your name into Google and every comment coming up. Sorry, I don't want everyone to know every forum or thought I place on every subject. That's why I don't want a Facebook. It's the whole time and a place issue and also brings up discrimination issues in employment. That doesn't mean I don't hold myself responsible, just means I have a personal life as well.

message 28: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Chloe wrote: "The intensity of the hate/trolling does make it feel like it was somewhat orchestrated. Most of the comments didn't get going until a few hours after the post. I saw it earlier on and argued with a..."

You know, this has been bothering me for a few days. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it (apologies, I really do prefer to cite such things) but one article I think referring to the Feminist Frequency trollbomb suggested much the same thing - and pointed the finger at 4chan. I know nothing about 4chan other than it has a fairly unsavoury reputation for daft stunts, and this article is probably incredibly wide of the mark. But...it does feel like a concerted attack from *somewhere*, doesn't it?

OTOH I have also had the conspiracy theory that anything with this much controversy (for example, Hitman, Lara Croft) is being done deliberately to cause a storm of publicity and hence make more money. Given the political situation with regards to womens' rights at the moment which lots of people are sensitive to, a savvy publicist might post a few choice epithets to stir things up and draw attention to mediocre, rebooting or flagging franchises. Things like Feminist Freq and Felica's new vid get caught in the crossfire when the trolls have already been lured out from under the bridge.

Or maybe I'm just being naive and the internet really is full of people who don't see anything wrong in this behaviour.

message 29: by Tangled (last edited Jun 16, 2012 06:06PM) (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 55 comments Caroline I think people who see nothing wrong with that behavior are a vocal minority. The Internet is about as full of such people are your local junior high school. Think about it.

message 30: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Tangled wrote: "Caroline I think people who see nothing wrong with that behavior are a vocal minority. The Internet is about as full of such people are your local Junior High school. Think about it."

Maybe so. Maybe not. Can't prove it either way!

message 31: by Tangled (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 55 comments Caroline that's true. I'd by a "Anonymous" style idiot brigade before a I'd think it was a publicity stunt though. Can't prove it either. :)

message 32: by Alex (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments Tangled wrote: "I'd by a "Anonymous" style idiot brigade before a I'd think it was a publicity stunt though. Can't prove it either. :)"

Oh, I can completely see what happens if a bunch of pubescent kiddies see that FemFreq kickstarter: "Oh noes, she wanna take away our boobies. Burn the witch!!11elevenone".

Well, their insane attempt to have her kickstarter taken down (based on what reason, btw?) probably achieved the exact opposite. I wouldn't even have known about it. So, congratulations trolls of the world. This might have just been the most inane, incompetent and backfiring attempt to prevent something in the history of inane, incompetent and backfiring attempts to prevent something.

I can only hope she will take legal actions against at least some of them. Even if they can't find all of them, just a few of them going to jail might be a decent deterrent. And let's not fool ourselves, if a guy can go to jail for half a year over offensive posts (despite Aspergers), what does it look like for rape and death threats... without any "medical excuses"?

Most forms of trolling are a legal offense and no amount of "it was just fun" or "freedom of speech" is going to change that. You harras, insult or threaten someone online, you better be very confident in your proxy server.

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela (happi_fishyahoocom) | 7 comments I can't believe how horrible some people can be. I thought the video was great and Felicia has yet to disappoint me. Whenever I need a laugh she provides. :)

message 34: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Tangled wrote: "Caroline that's true. I'd by a "Anonymous" style idiot brigade before a I'd think it was a publicity stunt though. Can't prove it either. :)"

Oh, that's true - I'd kinda forgotten "Anonymous". I tend to think of them as to do with kicking against the whole bankerfail thing, but there have been some daft stunts too.

It does sort of break my brain that people can't predict the ramifications of their actions online by now. Don't they realise "all publicity is good publicity", but that it may not be good publicity for *them*?

message 35: by Tangled (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 55 comments @ Alex "You can't get me, I'm behind 7 proxies!"

Sorry. Laws against harassment and defamation apply to Internet communications as well as any other kind, however, in the US it is chore to prove. First you'd need to convince the police to get a warrant YT (or whatever site may have the IP associated with the post), a warrant for the ISP to get to the person who had the IP address at the time. The you have to prove that the person who has that IP was the one behind the keyboard using the computer/internet connection (wireless routers are common) and that there were no proxies or IP spoofing even if there were no other people who had access to that connection. I mean, unless you are Homeland Security or RIAA/MPAA who have special laws that elevate their interests above pesky 4th and 5th amendment rights that are supposed to be guaranteed by the US Constitution (not that I have an opinion on that), it usually isn't worth the hassle. It can be done (especially if the offender uses a real name and links to something like Facebook), but most people just let it go unless they have reason to believe the threats are serious.

message 36: by Alex (new)

Alex (trienco) | 80 comments Tangled wrote: ...

Oh, I realize that there are a lot of hoops to jump through and that most of the time it won't get anywhere. Suing over every single insult wouldn't do much good. Still, I don't like the message of "it's okay, nobody will care going after you, because it's too much trouble".

Some people have a conscience, for the rest we have rules, regulations, laws and (I better don't go there). But if they aren't enforced, they are kind of useless.

message 37: by Tangled (last edited Jun 17, 2012 02:03PM) (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 55 comments Alex, I sympathize and I agree laws should be enforced evenly (regardless of whether it's a single person being harassed or a bank). However, I'm also a huge fan of privacy, "innocent until proven guilty", and the promises in the US Constitution's Bill of Rights. I tend to think it's OK to let some who may be guilty go in order to protect the freedoms I can hold on to (for as long as they still exist). It makes more sense for individual sites to handle security and mod comments if necessary than it is for any government to try to police the entire Internet.

I'm not defending the haters, but do you really think rounding up a bunch of 12-year-olds and charging them with harassment and assault (for implying harm) or whatever would really make the trolls go away? If there is a serious threat, or if people are stupid enough to post photos of themselves committing a crime, then that is different. However, for rude comments, I say mod the threads or ignore them. The backlash of supporters post idiot attack should balance it out.

message 38: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye I havn't read all of this thread, however my friend showed me the gamer girl/country boy vid. What is wrong with video. In fact what is wrong with gamer girls. Nothing. Nothing at all. To flame felicia is wrong, she did nothing wrong.

Now I have to admit that I have done my share of flaming. But it is where someone has hurt or upset someone else. What the hell did Felicia do. Oh yeah, she plays computer games, does cool stuff and makes being a geek etc cool. oh and she is a girl. MMMM nothing wrong with that.

message 39: by Necrophidian (new)

Necrophidian | 74 comments I wanna toss something into the mix here, just as an aside...

I see a lot of people making comments like, 'I don't like country' or 'country's not really my thing' and 'please stop doing the chicken dance, you're embarrassing me.'

Okay, not so much the last one--that's more of a personal issue--but the other two, definitely.

Anywho, for those of you who've expressed such sentiments, I'd like to suggest that maybe it isn't country music itself that turns you off, but rather the staid and formulaic contemporary approach to the genre that's engendered primarily by the music industry?

I mention this 'cuz I too used to say things like, 'I don't get country music' and 'I don't like country' and 'what good is the fundamental right to chicken dance in a public library if we don't exercise it?!'

Okay, not so much the last one--that's more of a personal issue--but the other two, definitely.

But then I dug down into the roots of country, and I sorta got lost in the awesome. That, in turn, led me to obscure, present-day corners of the genre where some really interesting stuff's being produced.

So, if you're a fan of music in general, I'd caution against writing off country too quickly. Poke around, explore it a bit. You might be surprised at how much you like the stuff you find.

Just sayin'. :)

message 40: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 180 comments @dj enigma I was never a fan of country music I wrote it off without ever really giving it a chance, until friends in an online game introduced me to some of the more modern country music thats been around for the last few years acts such as sugarland, toby kieth and martina mcbride and I found myself hooked couldnt get enough.
so yeah dont knock something until you have properly tried it and as with most things your not going to like all of it but explore and you may be surprised like i was :)

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 89 comments I'll admit, give me the right country song and I do like it (Garth Brook's "The River" has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it). However, I worked on several contemporary country music videos while I lived in Nashville, and the attitude of some of the younger artists was appalling, which is probably where I was turned off from the genre as a whole.

Now, I know there are others in the genre that are wonderful people (Dirks Bentley, for one - that guy has class); I just worked with them a lot less, so I have a bit of personal bias. However, slide guitar is still one of my favorite instruments, and when it's used in those country ballads, I can't help but smile.

message 42: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments "please stop doing the chicken dance, you're embarrassing me."

am I the only one that likes it? come on! Now I really feel alienated

message 43: by Suki (last edited Jun 22, 2012 01:55AM) (new)

Suki (ysabelkid) | 9 comments I enjoy (some) country, I dig Felicia and I love anything that adds a geeky flavour to what might be a bit blah. Honestly, I'm just keen on geeky songs that have a gamer flavour! And I think I'd best describe myself as a casual gamer (gasp!).

Honestly, I couldn't read more than a page of the YT comments. Red film over eyes and all that. But I wrote it off as trolls, kids and whiners. Although it's horrible for Felicia to have had to deal with that kind of crap, the reality is the flaming made everyone more aware of what is a very cool song (which I am buying off iTunes as we speak). And that behaviour just made me even MORE determined to support geeks - particularly female (yes, I'm biased) - who are doing their best to enhance and empower the community. Financially and in any other way I can!

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sflanagan19) | 127 comments Felicia, I loved the video so much I immediately downloaded the song so I could listen to it on the bus. It's just so much fun! You clearly were just going out to do a fun thing with some friends--and it just so happens that you then broadcast that fun thing on the internet. I really enjoy it and I hope you can overcome the a**holes on the internet, because they clearly don't know how to have fun and live a little. You are a fantastic singer, a role model, and seem to really enjoy life. Kudos to you!

message 45: by Crisp (new)

Crisp (crispi) | 120 comments I was over-exposed to country by my college roommate - waking up to "whose bed have your boots been under" and "prop me up by the jukebox when I die..." every morning resulted in giving me a minor case of the cringes when I hear similar songs.

So when Felicia revealed this one, I had to groan - and laugh my ass off. Thanks a lot, Day!

But I think it was done in that spirit - it was fun, it was silly and I loved it anyway.

Screw the haters. Make good art.

PS: I LOVE old country like Patsy Cline.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sflanagan19) | 127 comments Happy Birthday Felicia!!