Daily Diary discussion

Reading Habits > How do you decide what to read next?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I've noticed that whenever I finish a book, I take a few days to figure out what to read next, despite my having said, "I want to read X (and sometimes there's an A, B, C, and D in there at some point) when I'm done with Y."

I know that some people have a list that says what's to be read next. But what I'm wondering about it all of the other methods to pick the next book. How do you keep from wasting a couple of days deciding? And for those of you who do follow a list, how do you make yourself stick to it? Do you just start and eventually you love it or does your list really not work (it's OK. I won't spoil your secret).

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I'm catching up on a lot of series that have been out for awhile so I just move on to the next book. I always start a new book right away because I HAVE to have a book to read. If I've finished a series, I usually have a book on my shelf that I've been anxious to start. My TBR list is huge so picking a book is never a problem.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments I am a huge book collector. I have piles of books to be read all over my house. Also I have a TBR list here. Whenever I hear about a book that sounds great, or someone I trust recommends a book, I either buy it or put it on my TBR list.

Usually I don't like the endings to books so when I am approaching ~the last 40 pages I am already thinking about the next book I am going to read. I would say that there is about a 3 minutes lag between books.

Right now I am reading 3 books at once, so there won't be any lags.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I always start thinking about what to read next maybe halfway through. And that's a really bad habit because I don't focus as much as I should on what's in hand.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I've got my TBR list here at Goodreads, but since I work at a library I'm always reading magazines and newspapers for book reviews. If any strike my fancy, I check out an armful and keep them by my bed. Even before I finish what I'm currently reading I'll be gauging what kind of mood I'm in. Depending on my mood, I'll grab one of the books.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Lori wrote: "I've noticed that whenever I finish a book, I take a few days to figure out what to read next, despite my having said, "I want to read X (and sometimes there's an A, B, C, and D in there at some po..."

Entirely arbitrary. At any given time it can have to do with whim, what's due back next at the library, what was referenced in the book I just read (or what it reminded me of), a random conversation, a press release, a book group, or any of a dozen other sources.

message 7: by Ika (new)

Ika (devita) | 19 comments I sometimes browsing at the internet or at the bookstore. i also often go to the library and pick the books I am interested on.

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 30 comments I am always reading multiple books at once. Whenever a mood hits me, I pick something up and start it. Since my piles are huge, there is always something.

Additionally, sometimes I have a group read I need to start/

message 9: by Ika (new)

Ika (devita) | 19 comments hhahhahah... I do too, sometimes. lol.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chaoscat60) | 37 comments I have review books, scheduled reads with my on-line book club and sometimes I'll do buddy reads. So those sometimes dictates what to read next. I do have over 2000 books throughout my house and I will just surf my bookcrossing list cause they are all listed and see what suits my fancy.

message 11: by Ika (new)

Ika (devita) | 19 comments wow Cheryl, that's great!! Why don't you build a library?

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chaoscat60) | 37 comments Actually if my son ever moves out of the house one of his rooms will be my library, reading room. I have this lovely old leather rocker/recliner that I read in. My son's other room will be my husbands sound proof music room-he has a collection of guitars and plays them quite a bit. We're finally old enough where we can indulge in our hobbies. I have about 50 autographed books-I love going to author events now!!

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments I also get newsletters from bookreporter.com, anyone get that? They review books, authors etc. It is a great site and I have been with them for about 15 years.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I can't wait until I have a reading room/library!

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
It's arbitrary but I have loads of books collected to read. :)

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chaoscat60) | 37 comments There's a bunch of newletters out there, I do get bookreporter and quite a few others. I really like Bookmark and subsctibe to their magazine too.

message 17: by Ika (new)

Ika (devita) | 19 comments Wow Cheryl, it must be great! . I want to have a library at home. That's one of my dream..lol.

message 18: by Anna (last edited Jan 11, 2009 09:28AM) (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments First I check out the library. Maybe someone gave a book I was waiting for. If there is nothing interesting I take something to read from personal library that I haven't read yet.

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Through online newsletters, magazine articles, word-of-mouth recommendation, perusing the library stacks (new book section), and now Goodreads! I'm overwhelmed by book recommendations - and happy ;o)

message 20: by Ika (new)

Ika (devita) | 19 comments hahaha.. I think everybody is happy here.. lol

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily (emikay) I have a significant TBR list on here and an even larger one tucked in the back of my mind. I buy books faster than I read them, so I always have something that I can pick up and start. The moment I finish a book I generally go to my bookshelf and browse through the books I've bought and the books that I have checked out from the library at that moment ... and I just, pick one that sounds appealing.

message 22: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte Lori, This is a great question and one I often find myself pondering. I am like you, even though I own a lot of books and check out books every two weekes from the library, I find myself not wanting to let go of the last book I read, and I will often spend a day or so deciding what to read next. Sometimes I spread my 'choices' out on the bed and pick one, other times I will ask my husband or daughter their opinions.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker If I'm going somewhere and I *might* finish a book, I bring along several choices in my bag or the car just so I'm not stuck without a good book. Maybe part of the problem is having too many choices.

message 24: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte I think you are right, having too many good choices can/is part of the problem for me. There are so many books on my TBR, that I cannot decide which to start, and I am still thinking of the last book - which makes it harder.

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Glad to know I'm not alone.

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea It's a zen thing, the right book needs to present itself to me. Sometimes I pick up a book I think I want to read, and just can't.

message 27: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) For me it depends on the mood or if its something that has to be read for my reading book club.

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (chaoscat60) | 37 comments I hate it when a book doesn't strike my fancy because of my mood. I tend to put the book down for way too long and regert not reading it when I first started it!!

message 29: by Peanut (new)

Peanut Sometimes my choices are made for me...ex: when a book comes in at the library that I had on hold. Then I'm "forced" to read it.

Other times I'm reading a continuation of a series so obviously the next book in the series is the next book to be read.

Most times I go to my stash and start looking at book covers and reading the back and seeing what tickles my fancy. Sometimes I end up putting the book back after a few pages because it just wasn't working for me at the time (ex: Reading Lolita in Tehran - I want to read it, I liked what I read when I started it but it just wasn't what I wanted to read at the time). Went for a more fluffy book.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 41 comments I usually am reading 2-3 books at a time although now I am mired in WAR AND PEACE thanks to Meg and her around-the-world-idea but have read over 900 pages and hope to finish by Easter whenever that is.

I choose at leat 1 book that has something to do with the current state of affairs in some part of the world/our culture/trends and 1 book that's a mystery/humorous for a change of pace as well as some classic that I've never read

message 31: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) I've been trying to read series books but then find other non series books along the way that look interesting. I have a disease, I cannot leave a bookstore without buying something. I simply can't it's awful

message 32: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments I've got a long list of books that I want to read and I'm trying hard to read every position, but I'm still adding new books to this list.

message 33: by PookyGurl (new)

PookyGurl I find that I get caught up in a genre and that'll be it for awhile..that is unless I've ordered a book from the library that happens to be something completely different... then I'm off and running in a new direction.
Sometimes I just get hooked on an author and won't stop till I've read everything he/she has written.

I also collect NY Times book reviews ( I have baskets throughout my home with piles & piles of NY Times reviews).
I copy out reviews from magazines and of course there are unlimited resources here on the web.
I swear I won't live long enough to read the multitude of books on my TBR list.

I used to have a library, well actually it was half the living room that had two walls of floor to ceiling bookshelves.
I really loved the look of it but realistically it become just too expensive to maintain.
When we moved I sorted through them all, keeping those very close to my heart and donating the rest to a senior residence nearby.

Now I live at the library and I absolutely love it. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

message 34: by Diane (last edited Apr 30, 2009 01:23PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Pooky Girl - like you, I'm sure I will never live long enough to read all of the unread books I have at home - especially since I will constantly be adding to them!
As far as choosing what I will read next, I love looking through all of my books, maybe reading the first page, just seeing what grabs me. It's always so exciting to choose a new book to read - so many choices! So I have no guidelines, other than enjoying how many I to choose from and seeing which one strikes my fancy at that moment.

message 35: by Dan (new)

Dan (chaoticbuffalo) I usually have from three to six books...fiction/non-fiction mix...going at any given time so when I finish one I just let one of the books in my 'to read' pile meander over to the 'reading' pile of its own accord.

message 36: by Lilia (last edited Sep 16, 2009 12:01PM) (new)

Lilia (oldgeekwoman) Diane wrote: "As far as choosing what I will read next, I love looking through all of my books, maybe reading the first page, just seeing what grabs me. It's always so exciting to choose a new book to read - so many choices! ..."

I feel exactly the same way, but the only problem is that I have too many choices!

message 37: by Sarah (last edited Oct 05, 2009 10:48AM) (new)

Sarah I have many many choices, so many in fact that I worry I won't live long enough to actually read everything I'd like. I think there's always something to read.
When it comes to what to read next most of the time I have it all planned and listed so there aren't any problems, but sometimes, like now for example, I have different choices and when I try to decide what I want to read next I find myself with a huge question mark over my head.
so I've come up with an original solution. I narrowed down the number of possible choices to six books (which much easier than trying to pick juust one!) and numbered each. Then I cast a die and the nuber that came up was my next read.