Chicks On Lit discussion

How do you decide what to read next?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I've noticed that whenever I finish a book, I take a few days to figure out what to read next, despite my having said, "I want to read X (and sometimes there's an A, B, C, and D in there at some point) when I'm done with Y."

I know that some people have a list that says what's to be read next. But what I'm wondering about it all of the other methods to pick the next book. How do you keep from wasting a couple of days deciding? And for those of you who do follow a list, how do you make yourself stick to it? Do you just start and eventually you love it?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Great discussion Lori! I'm anxious to read everyone's answers because I too usually waste at least a couple days trying to figure out which book to read next. Then it will inevitably end up being one that's not even on my TBR list!

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker That's how I am. I feel like I buy all of these many books and when it comes time to decide what to read next, I end up buying something new.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) This is a tough subject. I don't really have a way of picking. Sometimes I go by what my 2 book clubs are reading (but as everyone knows who knows me, I usually don't read what the book clubs are reading! LOL). I tend to be more interested lately in reading Memoirs or Biographies. Fluff stuff that doesn't really mean anything.

I just started "Lovely Bones" last night, which is starting out to be really good, but a definitely change to my previous read "A Bend in the Road" by Nicholas Sparks.

So, to recap, I really don't have a system.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I don't have a system, I tend to go with my gut. But I put so many books on hold at the library, that lots of times that will dictate what I need to read next.

Usually GR will point me in the direction because someone will be all abuzz about some book or other and I'll just drift to that if I can get it at the library pretty quickly. There is a challenge on another group here that will drive me sometimes too to a certain title above another. Lots of times it's a mood thing.

message 6: by Brandie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:32AM) (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I get a lot of recommendations, and just go by what mood I'm in. I have so many books sitting at home, that when I finish something, I usually pick up two or three, read the first few pages of each, and which ever one really grabs me, that's the one I start with. I usually finish a book, and then get right into a new one the same night. But I also go in phases, for example, I'm reading Edgar Sawtelle right now, which is a pretty long and heavy book. So when I finish it, I have every intention of picking up a quick, chick lit book next! I can't do long intense books twice in a row :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I go with whatever catches my attention. Somtimes it takes me a few days or more to come off the book I've just finished before I start looking at what I've got at home. If nothing here interests me, then I head to the libraries! Sometimes I have a specific book in mind to start with, like I just finished The 13th Tale last night and today I want to start The Heretic's Daughter - I'm trying to get caught up on my book club reads so I can begin reading that lovely pile of books I rec'd for Christmas!

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (pdwendy) | 5 comments Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I'm a NYT Book Review junkie. No matter how many times I've gotten burned (and in HARDBACK), I stubbornly think they must be right. I also listen to NPR's book podcast, and the Times (the book review again!) podcast for recommendations.

message 9: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I don't even know why I have a TBR pile other than to remind me to look for that book at the library when I see it.
I think that's why I didn't post on the Read in 09 thread because the moment I mark something as TBR I feel cornered into reading it and suddenly don't want to. I truly have to go by my mood and current infatuation. Sometimes after reading something really intense and consuming (like Pillars of the Earth was for me or 1000 Suns) I need something light and fun. Other times I get so consumed by an author or a genre that I just want to marinate in those books (Womens struggles in middle east is my current fascination, or it's been Tudor history and historical fiction).
By letting it flow from my desires I think is the reason I was able to read my goal this year because I didn't let myself feel tied down to any book or list.

message 10: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) I tend to buy books and think I will read them next. Then I end up not wanting to read it and buying something else.

message 11: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments No list. Sometimes my next-to-read book is the book that happens to come in at the library (my reserves). Other times I pick one that looks good in my stash I have at home. A few times it is a book that someone recommends that I just have to go get at the library (providing it isn't already out...then it goes on the reserve list). :)

message 12: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Mood. Mood totally dictates what I read next. That's why I love having a TR list now because I can browse through and see what strikes my fancy at that moment. It may still take me a few days and sometimes I have to take a few days off because nothing will click when I try to start reading.

message 13: by Katie (last edited Jan 09, 2009 04:41PM) (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Sometimes I take a few days to decide what to read next. Fortunately, I have plenty of short story collections to read in the meantime(Eudora Welty, Flannery O'Conner, "Great American Short Stories" "Best Short Stories of "), so I don't consider the time wasted.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Mood and what I have recently purchased.

I also take into consideration what I am doing.. Am I busy at work or am I travelling.

All of those things!

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Thanks guys. These are really good tips. I want to focus on books that I've bought but haven't read. I have books that I bought 4 years ago and haven't read. I don't think this will keep me from buying new books, but I want to read what I've already spent money on, you know?

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Kelly Jo, I think I need to place a moratorium for a while as well. With the exception of book club picks that I actually really want to read right.now.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samaranthine) | 10 comments Moratorium shmoratorium. For years I have been struggling with my problem with book buying. It makes deciding what to read next almost impossible. I buy and buy and for every book i read I buy three more just to celebrate my finishing the last one. One time I went a whole month without buying a single book. But I have seen the light: because my compulsion to buy books is not necessarily bad (well for my wallet) but I have this paranoia that when I am old and gray and immobile, I won't be able to buy so many books. I'll have nothing to read when i'm old and sick if i stop buying books now!! So I am making up for the time I am about to lose when I'm older. The books are an investment, my retirement fund. Or maybe i should just buy stock in Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

message 18: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I love that line of thinking, Samantha! I don't buy books that often because I have an amazing library a block away from where I work, but the books I do buy sit in my shelf for ages. Now I won't feel so guilty about not getting to them!

I try to think of what I'm going to read next when I'm finishing my current book. That way I have something to dive right into. Not that that always works! I also can read more than one book at a time, so I'm usually already halfway into another book when I finish one, but I know a lot of people can't do that.

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi After writing five or six different sentences and then deleting them all, I realized there is no method to my reading madness. I usually balance the must reads (book club, library due dates, hard to get titles) with series books (mystery detective, vamp series, etc.).

I do find that if I'm reading a large/heavy book, then I'll usually turn to a few shorter, easier reads during those reads. When I read Pillars of the Earth, I also longed for books that I could finish in a day or two... the ongoing saga books are great, but hard to read when you only have a few hours at a time.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Tera, if you are currently interested in womens struggles in the middle east check out "Infidel" by Ayran Hirsi Ali.... (can't remember if the first name is spelled right). Truly an interesting read.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments As for picking what to read next........... I have about 30 books (prolly more) at home that I have bought and have yet to read.... When I finish one book, I pick up three... then get my boys to help me pick the next one. I am TRYING to stay out of the bookstore!!

message 22: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Well I belong to so many groups and I am trying to read all the selections if I have not already read this months. I go to the library and get as many as I can and then end up going by the due dates back to get them read. I don't always succeed but I try. Lots of challenges on here and other book sites give me some leeway like reading any book by a particular author or genre. Some are by theme or place etc... It is just getting them all coordinated that is hard. Oh and time ....I seem to always always run out of time. :/

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments I think mood definitely figures into what I am reading. After I read a couple of books that challenge me, I usually want something light - like a Twilight book.
As for how I choose what to read, a number of things factor into my decision. I read reviews in the New York Times, listen to reviews on NPR and sometimes get suggestions from friends. There are also books that I have heard are wonderful - like "Fear of Flying" that I will buy and read.

message 24: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments my next two books are on hold at the library for me. They both came in at the same time which alters my plan of a quick YA read between!

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments i jump around depending on my mood. i am usually reading 3-5 books at any one time. when i finish something heavy, i usually follow it by something light. my TBR list is made up of favorite authors' works, best-sellers, and those i judge by the cover. :)

message 26: by April (new)

April (contusions96) For me, it is usually determined on what my book club is reading, what we are reading for CoL or what books have finally come in to the library for me to pick up. If I'm not reading any of those, I stare at my bookself until something jumps out at me.

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments KrIsTiefAyE, that always happens to me with my library holds! I guess I need to resort to only putting one thing on hold at a time. Like that will ever happen!!

message 28: by Dolly (last edited Jan 15, 2009 02:32PM) (new)

Dolly (dollya) For me, I have my to read list on here, but not in any certain order. Sometimes it depends on if a book I've had on hold at the library comes in, then I get that one next. Mostly whatever strikes me at the time, mood having a lot to do with it.

Also, recently my "secret pal" at work gave me a couple of books for Christmas, so I've read one of those and am on the second one now. So if the book is free and looks interesting I'll try those too.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I look at several things:

Title
Title Font
Cover
Synopsis
First Few Lines
First Couple Pages

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 26 comments My mood

message 31: by QueenAmidala28 (new)

QueenAmidala28 Books on hold at library first, go through stack at home and at least one current book. Random but it works. Gives me at least 6-9 books to choose from at a time.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 30 comments I have several TBR piles so always have a hard time deciding which book to read next. And I sure can't wait days to decide. So, unless I need to read a book for book club or for an author event, I ask my husband to pick my next book.