The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Game of Thrones asked for more nudity

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul | 26 comments Anyone see this:

HBO calls for more nudity on TV show
13th June 2012 6:00 PM

Bosses behind hit show Game of Thrones say they often have to ask for more nudity.

Game of Thrones 'most pirated show'
IT'S already got a reputation as one of the raunchiest shows on television, but Game of Thrones bosses say they want more nudity in upcoming seasons.

Orgies, topless prostitutes and explicit sex scenes feature heavily in the violent drama show, which has just finished its second season run on Sky TV's Soho channel in New Zealand.

But apparently, the graphic details don't go far enough.

In a podcast on Empireonline.com, Thrones episode director Neil Marshall said he had been asked by HBO to make some scenes more explicit - even if they'd already been shot.

"The weirdest part (about directing the show) was when you have one of the exec producers leaning over your shoulder going, 'You can go full frontal, you know. This is television, you can do whatever you want! And do it! I urge you to do it!'

"So I was like, 'Okay, well, you're the boss'," Marshall said.

"This particular exec took me to one side and said, 'Look, I represent the pervert side of the audience, okay? Everybody else is the serious drama side, I represent the perv side of the audience, and I'm saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene.' So you go ahead and do it."

message 2: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments At least he's honest.

message 3: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments Shades of Saturday Night Live.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Someone could do to punch the pervert side of the audience, because he really should butt out and let the director decide what works best for the shot. "Do a full frontal because I'm a perve and want to look at boobs" is exactly what bothers me about a lot of the nudity scenes - you can tell it's there for that reason alone. :(

message 6: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Ruth wrote: "Someone could do to punch the pervert side of the audience, because he really should butt out and let the director decide what works best for the shot. "Do a full frontal because I'm a perve and wa..."

I like to look at boobs. Does that make me a perve?

message 7: by Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth (last edited Jun 17, 2012 11:04AM) (new)

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Not at all, Noel, I was responding the way that particular producer mentioned in the interview was said to talk, calling himself a spokesman for perverts and saying that, as such, the director should make sure they got a full frontal shot.

I have no objection to anyone wanting to look at boobs; boobs are, in general, rather lovely; but what I object to is when creative decisions are interrupted by producers and the like who have decided more tits will sell better, and put that before whatever else directors and the like think will work best for the scene.

I think there are plenty of times when Game of Thrones treats sex and nudity wonderfully, but there are other times when I think a different approach may have worked better, and it makes me sad to think that directors are encouraged away from considering alternatives now and them.

message 8: by L.S. (new)

L.S. Burton (lsburton337) Too much nudity in a show will often have the opposite effect on me. If it's there very blatantly because some perve leaned over the director's shoulder ... I think that becomes very apparent in the shot. It takes me OUT of the scene because I begin thinking about that.

message 9: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Ruth wrote: "Not at all, Noel, I was responding the way that particular producer mentioned in the interview was said to talk, calling himself a spokesman for perverts and saying that, as such, the director shou..."

Phew, that's a relief.

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Silva (kellysilva) | 10 comments I was actually thrilled that there was less nudity in season 2. If I'm trying to introduce a show like this to people who I think would enjoy it, (like my mom), but we can't even get through the first 5 minutes without topless chicks running around, then she isn't going to want to watch it. Season 1 nudity all seemed very gratuitous and added in just for the sake of it.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul | 26 comments I think the nudity is to gain more young male viewers....

message 12: by Ulmer Ian (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments Paul, HBO doesn't care about viewers. They care about subscribers. HBO probably loved the SNL skit since that's the sort of publicity they need to get new subscribers. I mean normally HBO tries to get subscribers by appealing to TV critics who will write reviews or by getting various TV awards. But stirring up some controversy works as well...

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Does HBO have any adverts, either between, or even just before and after the shows? If so, they will certainly care about the viewers because those advertisers will pay more for slots around the popular shows etc. Even if there are no adverts on HBO, the channel will still likely have an interest in their viewing figures. The BBC, for example, use viewing figures as a way of measuring their success.

message 14: by Ulmer Ian (last edited Jun 24, 2012 06:07AM) (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments HBO doesn't have ads.

The BBC needs political support once a decade. So the viewing figures are about making a political point really. And it is broadcast to everyone, so there's no worry about people forgetting about BBC (which is what would happen if HBO stopped making interesting shows, folks wouldn't talk about it and their subscribers would evaporate). So it's a very different dynamic than HBO.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Well, naturally it's not identical, but I still think HBO will care about the figures. With the BBC, I think it's less about making a political point, and more about maintaining popularity with the British public who fund it, and in this way, the two can be thought of as the same. The subscriptions are where the money is, but knowing which shows people are watching helps them judge which shows are more likely to get and keep people subscribing. Thus, if they find nudity increases the viewing figures, they are likely to find that desirable and demand more.