The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Way of Kings question

Any word on when book 2 comes out???
William William Jun 13, 2012 02:11PM
I loved the first book. Waiting for the second. Any new recent developments? I know Sanderson is working on the last of the WOT series but is he working on The Stormlight Archives as well?

Vanessa (last edited Feb 05, 2013 06:54PM ) Jul 11, 2012 10:17AM   1 vote
He's mentioned a couple times that he would like to see it ready by fall/winter 2013...so realistically, early 2014 at the latest. Hopefully.

Steelheart is showing a a released date of September 24th 2013 (Amazon), so book two should be out sometime in 2014.

I hope he takes all the time he needs. Currently there are no other books I'm looking more forward to than this, but it needs to be perfected. The world is fantastic - it deserves all that Sanderson can throw at it. 2015 is better than 2013 if that improves the quality.

depends though the first stormlight he wrote on and off for like 10 years

Probably late 2013 or 2014. He is still working on the drafts of AMOL and is still adding to that one. I would not be surprised if he starts getting into SLA2 sometime very soon as he has stated this draft of AMOL is probably the most extensive.

I really enjoyed this book. Almost as much as Thrones. I cant wait unit Stormlight 2 comes out.

He said Christmas 2013 in January. He did a sample chapter reading.

According to the progress bar on Sanderson's website, he has not yet even started writing book two of the Stormlight Archive. Of course, that doesn't mean he doesn't already have some of it planned and/or plotted, but according to his website it seems he has yet to actually start writing the first draft.

Keep in mind, however, that he is very good at releasing books almost every year, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't out by mid 2014.

Scott (Ozziespur) 2014 ... great. That's just around the corner *sigh* :o) ...more
Jun 18, 2012 09:37PM · flag
Denis Pedersen It could be worse... At least it's not George R. R. Martinish (5/6 years?) or Scott Lynchish (I think my local bookstore have given me 3 or 4 differen ...more
Jul 23, 2012 03:13PM · flag

loved this book!

This is from Sanderson's May, 2013 Newsletter:
(available from his website)

"WORDS OF RADIANCE UPDATE

And now, as many of you have been hoping to read, some news about WORDS OF RADIANCE, the sequel to THE WAY OF KINGS.

The book is progressing well. But it's also going slowly. Big epics just take so much TIME. It's not simply the wordcount; the longer and more complex the book gets, the more time it takes to produce each page. A weaving of a half dozen characters and plots is a difficult thing to juggle. I love it, but boy is it hard.

I'm at 260,000 words as of this writing. (The target is 300,000 words, or about the length of THE GATHERING STORM.) Awesome things are happening in the book, but I worry that it feels too fragmented, with everyone doing their "own thing" and without a stronger narrative to hold the book together. This was an issue with the first book, but the powerful Bridge Four sequence served as a backbone for the entire book and held it together.

This book needs more of an eye toward the entirety, and that's my main focus right now as I finish up the last chapters and turn toward revisions. I wanted passionately to have it out by November of this year, but that's growing more and more difficult. I know you all would rather have a better book later, and I'm not going to force anything.

At this point, we still have a "soft" release date of November, as listed on Amazon. However, we haven't committed to retailers for that date, and we haven't bought marketing space for it. (Which are the two big things that lock in a publication date.)

THE WAY OF KINGS was turned in in May 2010 and came out in August/September 2010, and TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT was turned in in August/September 2010 and came out in November 2010. So there is still plenty of time, but I can't promise anything. It could come out anywhere between November 2013 and May 2014. (Though it's highly unlikely to be later than that, considering how much I have done, and how well the writing is going.)

If you haven't been aware, I uploaded a series of YouTube videos of me writing a new interlude for the book. This may help tide you over. You can see the high-speed version here.

Take care, and happy reading.

Brandon"