Time Travel discussion

Redshirts
This topic is about Redshirts
Time Travel Books > Redshirts - John Scalzi

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie (swingcorey) | 52 comments I just finished reading this book, and while it is not the best Scalzi book, it is, nonetheless, an enjoyable read.

About halfway through, I was pleasantly surprised to find this is also a time travel book. While not the main premise, and the time travel is really more of a "parallel dimension" type of thing, it does still contain several elements and themes common to standard time travel fare.

Has anyone else read this? Let me know what you thought. (My review is here.)

I'm also wondering if the group would be interested in making this a monthly read at some point.

message 2: by Tej (last edited Jun 13, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1727 comments Mod
Thanks Jamie, though going by the synopsis, which is intriguing, might you have given away the twist that explains the mystery of the synopsis!? Its bit of a catch 22, isnt it because many of us would not have bothered or know about this book without knowing there is time travel in it, so I guess in this case it cant be helped.

There is a thread somewhere in which we talked about books with unadvertised time travel.

Its all of us that nominate what ever books we want to included in a BOM vote so you can nominate this one next time :)

Jamie (swingcorey) | 52 comments Tej wrote: "Thanks Jamie, though going by the synopsis, which is intriguing, might you have given away the twist that explains the mystery of the synopsis!?"

I did initially ask myself "is this a possible spoiler?", but it isn't really. The real twist lies elsewhere (and that is all I will say!). :-)

Lianne (eclecticreading) This was actually the first John Scalzi book I've read and absolutely enjoyed it. There was a lot more to this book than I thought (I admit, I didn't know there was a time travel element to it but! the real twist that Jamie is alluding to was far more surprising), I had a good laugh =)

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 225 comments Here's a Q for people who have read it. Do you like how he ended it? The sort of several codas, instead of a single rousing finish?

message 6: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy Taylor (sooguy) | 89 comments I just picked this up in paperback this week, but probably won't get to it until later this summer. Will come back with thoughts once I have had a chance to read it.