A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Re-reading the series...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottlight930) The next time I read it, I'm going to take notes, because there are some details I read the first time around, that comes up in later books, that I forgot about, or was mentioned so fast, you don't realize it will be important later.

message 2: by Kit (new)

Kit Scott wrote: "The next time I read it, I'm going to take notes, because there are some details I read the first time around, that comes up in later books, that I forgot about, or was mentioned so fast, you don't..."

That sounds like a good idea. My second read I'm taking notes too. Especially since the TV series is running so many books behind! Guess I should start again so I can catch up with the 3rd season.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Does looking stuff up on the wiki obsessively count? Cos I have yet to manage a full re-read.

message 4: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments I do hat Maggie, but more because I'm slightly obsessed with the reading target for this year:p

message 5: by Eyehavenofilter (last edited Jun 13, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Neida: I'm rereading as well, I'm down to FoC and liking it better the second time around! The first time I was far too rushed. This time I'm really savoring it. By the time I get back to ADWD I feel it will be new as well.
( jumping up and down, clapping with joy!) pathetic I know.
But it makes me happy, and in this day and age, that is really something!

message 6: by Kati (new)

Kati  | 27 comments I started rereading them last week. I'm on book 3, and I hadn't realized before how much foreshadowing there was, or how important everyone's dreams or fire visions were. Definitely worth rereading to get all the clues. Like in book 2 when Dany visits the House of the Undying she sees a Man with a Wolf's head, wearing a crown. That alludes to the red wedding, which is just sad.

message 7: by Kit (new)

Kit Kati wrote: "I started rereading them last week. I'm on book 3, and I hadn't realized before how much foreshadowing there was, or how important everyone's dreams or fire visions were. Definitely worth rereading..."

Kati wrote: "I started rereading them last week. I'm on book 3, and I hadn't realized before how much foreshadowing there was, or how important everyone's dreams or fire visions were. Definitely worth rereading..."

Uuuuu! Yeah! The dreams and the visions. I plan on paying close attention second time around. And all the remarks about Jon Snows birth parents! And does the Man with a Wolf's head, wearing a crown forshadow red wedding or the final King of the Iron Throne!?!?!

message 8: by Shei (new)

Shei (sheiko) | 1 comments Greetings, everyone! I've just signed up last night and of course I had to add SOIF first. And look for a discussion group.

Big fan of SOIF here, though I'm also currently rereading the series. This is my 3rd time doing this. I've stopped myself from watching the HBO series because I get irked of slight nuances and I wanted to digest the details of the books again. I haven't started with ADWD yet!

message 9: by Juliane (new)

Juliane (DisgruntledPostalWorker) | 8 comments So I'm new to this group and pretty much burned through the 5 books in like 3 weeks.... So after reading all these comments and posts on this fan page I came to conclusion that reading them so fast I feel like I missed out on some important details.. With that said I'm going to start rereading tomorrow... Very slowly.. The books are just too exciting though.. And to comment on the people that want to take notes I found the app George RR Martins A World of ICe and Fire very very helpful!!! And worth the 5 bucks...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Juliane wrote: "So I'm new to this group and pretty much burned through the 5 books in like 3 weeks.... So after reading all these comments and posts on this fan page I came to conclusion that reading them so fast..."

I also read them a bit too fast.

I was going to listen to the audiobooks for my reread but the last one got bad reviews at Audible, so I don't know. I've been hitting the random page button at the Westeros wiki, reading articles, so I won't forget names and plotlines.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Juliane - I'd love it if you joined me over on my blog. I'm keeping track of my own reread their and should be posting up something on GOT Chapters 3-5 later tonight.

Though it might be a little slow paced - the goal is to finish Storm of Swords by March when the series starts again. Plus I'm also covering my read of The Belgariad among other things.

Would be fun to have you either way though, I'm really looking for people who will comment and talk about theories and opinions with me over their.

www.ivorydooms.blogspot.com

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments You to Eryk, I'd love to have you over on my blog, your comments are always extremely engaging! (We posted at the same time, so sorry I didnt see your comment until after!)

Double Post!

message 13: by Juliane (new)

Juliane (DisgruntledPostalWorker) | 8 comments Do not do the audiobooks!! I tried the 1st one cause I can listen to anything while I'm at work.. And it's terrible!!! So I decided to just read them.. I just love these books so much I flew through them.. Starting over tomorrow!! I'm so excited that there is a place I can vent and people to discuss these books with.. Lol and thanks for the blog invite!! I will check it out tonight..

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Amber wrote: "You to Eryk, I'd love to have you over on my blog, your comments are always extremely engaging! (We posted at the same time, so sorry I didnt see your comment until after!)

Double Post!"

Bookmarked. Even if I don't post I will be reading.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine (christine01) | 12 comments I have only read bk 1 of GOT, but it is my second time reading it... The books are so long that I tend to put it aside while reading others as well... I would love to have read bk 3 by the time season 3 starts, but not sure i am going to get there.... Sure going to try though =)

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments I think Storm of Swords is the best novel in the series! You gotta read it!

message 17: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments ASOS is the high point of the series. Best book in ASOIAF

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 107 comments I'm also going through aSoIaF again. Currently at aCoK ch 17 Tyrion.

message 19: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (biobib) | 52 comments Also re-reading... I just finished the Jon chapter in SoS where he is in the cave with Ygritte. I can't believe people still think the sex scenes in the show are more graphic than in the books.

message 20: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments I wasn't going to do a reread until we knew more about when the next book was going to be coming out but.... then I started reading the threads on this group again and now I'm excited to read them. I can't tell you how many times i've read the first three. Feast... I think I've done three times and Dance only once, so I have to reread that one FOR SURE. But to remember all the little things going on, I have to read the series again haha! O and I agree, ASOS is THE best book of the series.

message 21: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (biobib) | 52 comments I wish I didn't read so damn slow

message 22: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne | 5 comments Hi everyone, I just joined this group as my burning question was 'What do you read when you have finished reading the series so far??' I think you have all just answered....start a re-read of course!

message 23: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_holmes) | 6 comments The first law trilogy.

message 24: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne | 5 comments Matthew wrote: "The first law trilogy."

hey thanks Matthew

message 25: by Prin (new)

Prin (prncss1121) | 126 comments Mine is the first installment of The Farseer Trilogy

message 26: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_holmes) | 6 comments I've just finished it and I thought it was really good. You should check out some reviews.

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (gielske) | 107 comments I'm also re-reading Robin Hobbs elderling books again after this. So I can continue with the Rain Wilds grand finale that will be released next month

message 28: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne | 5 comments Thanks Prin - I started with your suggestion and well into the second book. Really enjoying it.

message 29: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (trionathree) I would strongly recommend heading over to reddit.com/r/asoiafreread/ and joining in on the discussions there if anyone is doing a re-read of the series. They are almost done reading A Clash of Kings but you could easily catch up on the old discussions. They go through each chapter finding hidden meanings and foreshadowing and I think it has added to my overall understanding of the series.

message 30: by Dionna (new)

Dionna | 308 comments You should also try http://towerofthehand.com/ for re-reads.

message 31: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Kay (TheOnionKnight1) | 8 comments Five times! You're an animal! I will be re-reading them in between my June book selection, which is rather anemic at the moment.

message 32: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Kay (TheOnionKnight1) | 8 comments Biobi wrote: "I wish I didn't read so damn slow"

What is slow? I use to read like a turtle and decided to tackle my issue head on. Lumosity along with iPad app called Acceleread have gotten me up to the average "faster" reader which is 300+ wpm.

The biggest gain I had was once I learned to stop subvocalization. If only someone had taught me earlier on in life how to read fast I would be much better off today.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments hahahaha

message 34: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Caitriona wrote: "I would strongly recommend heading over to reddit.com/r/asoiafreread/ and joining in on the discussions there if anyone is doing a re-read of the series. They are almost done reading A Clash of Kin..."

wow that was 10 minutes of my life I will never get back.

message 35: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (gianlucag) | 118 comments I'm currently re-reading the series and I'm on A Clash of Kings right now.
Reading these books a second time made me realize that I had missed a lot of stuff during my first read. Dreams and prophecies are particularly interesting, and knowing what's to come makes me really appreciate the dept of certain characters and their hidden schemes.

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Wow your comments and suggestions on taking notes and jotting down the foreshadowing clues has just inspired me to do the same. I have currently just finished reading the Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set and am currently/casually reading Brutal Journey: The Epic Story of the First Crossing of North America.
now i usually wait until a release date for the next ASoFI book before i start a reread. DWD i only went as far back as AFOC only because i reread the first three installments numerous times. (3-4) Now that the show has released it almost wants to make me start over with the whole series. AFOC i really enjoyed the second read and DWD i only read once (don't shoot me) only because i new i would re-read that as well as AFOC when the new ones released. Also remember i also followed series such as KCC Farseer Trilogy, Broken Man trilogy (it was good but not fantastic in my opinion) The Gentleman's bastards book 3 The Republic of Thieves is coming out in i believe september. If you have yet to read this series it is worth your time. if beginning is low it wont be long until it catches your attention. The other series i mention are all excellent series. I just ranted and i apologize. I am excited to reread this series and maybe take notes like you guys suggested. just on the things i think could be relevant. Thanks for the idea

message 37: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Oh i forgot if you read the Farseer trilogy and enjoy it you have to read The Tawny Man Series

message 38: by Dustin (last edited Jun 03, 2013 10:39AM) (new)

Dustin Hi, my fellow Ice and Fire fanatics!

I was a member awhile back, but seeing as how I wasn't very active in the group, I left. Then a couple weeks ago, my good friend Victor (who knows how much I truly adore the series,) sent the invite and so, here I am.
My name's Dustin. I'm currently 568 pages into A Game of Thrones. This will be my second journey through GRRM's insane world, and I relish every word. I originally read books I-IV in 2007-08, but I have yet to read Dragons, so I knew a re-read was in order.

Thank you, Victor!

message 39: by Victor (new)

Victor Your welcome, Dustin!

I will probably reread the series each time a new book comes out.

message 40: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments Hey Dustin! Welcome back! hehe! I too am rereading the series, I'm four POV's into GOT. I'm reading it with a couple other people who haven't really started it yet, so I'm kind of going slow (a challenge for me when I really start getting into this story). Happy rereading!!

message 41: by Dustin (last edited Jun 03, 2013 11:35AM) (new)

Dustin Victor wrote: "Your welcome, Dustin!

I will probably reread the series each time a new book comes out."

:)

Oh wow, talk about dedication! You're awesome, Victor! So where are you now in the series? Book III, right?

message 42: by Victor (new)

Victor Yes. I think book three might be my favorite, but I'll just have to read on to see:)

message 43: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Aly wrote: "Hey Dustin! Welcome back! hehe! I too am rereading the series, I'm four POV's into GOT. I'm reading it with a couple other people who haven't really started it yet, so I'm kind of going slow (a c..."

Hi, Aly!

Thank you, I'm feeling the love already! It's wonderful to be back home, isn't it? There's supposed to a group of us reading the series in a few weeks (I think,) but I simply could not wait to get started! I should be done with Thrones in about a week.:)

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments I've re-read the first book so many times, my signed copy is tattered and torn.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I no longer have a book jacket on my Game of Thrones cover.

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments I can relate! :)

message 47: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Jones | 14 comments I havent actually finished reading the series yet, I am currently reading 'A Feast for Crows' but I imagine I will re-read this series many times after I do finish :-D.

message 48: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Karen wrote: "I've re-read the first book so many times, my signed copy is tattered and torn."

Karen- that is so awesome that GRRM signed your copy of Thrones!!:)

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments I went to a fantasy conference in Seattle just to meet him and got him to sign all my SOIAF books! Loved talking with him and I was even on a panel with him, discussing the differences between Lord of the Rings and SOIAF! It was great! Just wish my books had been published by then! I would have asked him to sign them for me as well! Especially since it George and his books that inspired me to write epic fantasy in the first place! It would have been very special to have him sign my books. :)

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Please tell me your book i would love to read it and buy it i support all local writers as well american ade products. PRO UNION

« previous 1 3