Trans-Atlantic Bibliophiles discussion

We Need A Real Name

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianders1) | 122 comments Mod
So it turns out that most of our members aren't really 1st Warders after all! Pat lives in London, Emily is in St. Louis, Holly is in Orem, and Susan is an 8th warder.

Any suggestions for a new group name?

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 67 comments That's a real name. Maybe it's not catchy, but it works for me. Actually, any name works for me. How many are we?? If some of us are in Lakeside 1st Ward, will they meet in a group and the rest of us send comments, or do we all participate via internet? Sorry, as the least sophisticated tech person in the group, I need to have things really spelled out!!! :), Pat

PS, cool library web site. I'll read just about anything, so I'm happy for you all to pick and tell me what it is!!!

message 3: by Diane (new)

I'm going to check with my neighbor and see if Skype would work for us. Have you ever used it before?

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (HHarvey) | 14 comments Yes, I have a skype account.

message 5: by Diane (new)

So could we talk to Pat in London and Emily in St. Louis on a laptop during a book club discussion and they could hear/us us and we could hear/see them? Or does that only work on Oprah?

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue | 12 comments I have used Skype before...What a cool idea!!! Now we do need a new name! Some thing more international!!!! If not everyone can Skype we could continue to communicate via the post method though.....

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 38 comments Skype probably won't work for me right now, but I could always call Di and she could put me on speakerphone during the Skype session.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 67 comments Ummm, I think I'm 8 hours ahead of you in Utah, so I won't be Skyping (besides not having a clue how). Can I send my comments to Diane or post them or whatever you all decide and particpate that way? I'm good for 4 or 6 weeks.

Potato Peel was great - you're right, it would make a very good book discussion. All choices sounded good to me - could you please just tell me which is first, when I read the note above, I wasn't where we were starting (sorry, not usually this dense, it's been a bit chaotic lately).

Thanks very much!!! P.

message 9: by Diane (new)

We're starting with "Fever, 1793" by Laurie Halse Anderson (no relation to moi). Let me know if you have trouble getting it over there--maybe I can mail you a copy!

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue | 12 comments Great!! thanks for doing this Diane!

message 11: by Diane (new)

No problem! And you're my friend now!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 38 comments Mine, too! So any name ideas? Come on, Izzy - your terribly creative. Maybe something with International or Utah Co.-based or...

I'm in a journal exchange and the groups were each assigned a letter (A-G). The group names are now Aardvark Aficionados, Bogus Bananas, Creative Collaborating Chicklets, Demurely Dangerous Duchesses, E=MC2, Femmes Fatales, and Gloriously Gutsy Gals.

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue | 12 comments Hey! i just finished reading " Fever 1793"!! Can't wait to discuss it!!!

message 14: by Diane (new)

I read it on the plane and still had an hour left of my flight! Quick read, but a subject I knew nothing about.

message 15: by Tisha (new)

Tisha (tishafinlay) | 11 comments Skype is okay with me, but I'm in Provo so I'm assuming we'd just get together here adn skype to those not in Provo? I've never actually done a book club before so this is new to me. Please just let me know what we decide to do!

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 15 comments I have a few chapters left. How do we set up a time to discuss it? It's really a great book. Thanks for doing this Diane. It was so nice of you to bring me the book.

message 17: by Diane (new)

No problem, Kate! When everyone is done, I will start posting discussion questions online. If we can figure out a time when some of us can meet in-person, we can do that in addition to our online discussion.

I'm glad you're liking it!

message 18: by Diane (new)

I still think we need a better name. Something that represents how far apart many of us live. Maybe the "Trans-Atlantic Bibliophiles" :) Though if my niece Kate in Korea joins us, we'll need to include the Pacific Ocean as well...

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 38 comments I dig it. TAB works for me.

message 20: by Diane (new)

Trans-Atlantic Bibliophiles it is! If anyone on another continent would like to join us, we can just keep changing it! Feel free to invite anyone you'd like.