Rock This! discussion

Underrated???

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Jan 08, 2009 07:14PM) (new)

Phillip OK, KD just did a thread on clapton and how he's over-rated.

I want to start a thread on who people think are under-rated. and i'm going to start with diamanda galas...if you haven't heard mask of red death, check it out. i never hear this album mentioned in circles that celebrate rock or "dark" music. what gives?

i guess i'll start out with a top 5 under-rated list.

1) diamanda galas - mask of red death
2) elton john - all albums before honky chateau (he's a pop superstar, but no one seems to remember or care about those first few albums, which, imo, are the only ones worth listening to...)
3) david bowie - lodger
4) volcano the bear - any of their albums (ever heard of them? no? that's my point!)
5) the stooges (i bet now that asheton has passed, everyone will talk about how influential the stooges were, but how is it that this band is still relatively unknown? - if you say iggy pop, people know who you're talking about...but it's rare when i see stooges albums in people's collections).

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica I'm one of the lucky who saw them as an undergrad in Ann Arbor. A friend of mine moved to LA because Iggy wanted him to be their manager. I liked the Stooges but Iggy got too weird with all his Nazi stuff.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip kd, thanks for the recs...i love the flaming lips! but i don't know those other bands you mentioned (i've heard of 13th floor elevators, but don't know their music at all).

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica Mike Heron and Robin Williamson are underrated.

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica Robyn Hitchcock? Yes, he's a fan of Robin Williamson and Hike Heron.

message 6: by Phillip (last edited Jan 09, 2009 09:54PM) (new)

Phillip robyn hitchcock has played here in the bay area for decades and always received a lot of love from this part of the west coast...i think some of my friends that play in the clubfoot orchestra (i've been with them for a while now) worked with hitchcock. yeah, i'd say underrated though in the big picture.

i don't know mike heron and robin williamson. thanks monica.

i'm afraid i'm going to write about too many things that are outside of rock.

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Mike Heron and Robin Williamson were the founders of The Incredible String Band. Rock embraced more music in the 60's and 70's

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Phillip wrote: "OK, KD just did a thread on clapton and how he's over-rated.

I want to start a thread on who people think are under-rated. and i'm going to start with diamanda galas...if you haven't heard mask of..."

Galas, Voivod, and Roky Erikson (here I am again recommending movies KD-- you have seen You're Gonna Miss Me, right?) would all probably be on my list, but since they've all been mentioned, and really, everything I listen to would classify, I'll try to stick to the bands that SHOULD have achieved commercial superstardom and never did...

1. The Legendary Pink Dots: the best pop band of the last quarter-century and still going strong (I just got my hands on their 2008 release, Plutonium Blonde, and it's starting to look like one of those albums they put out every four-five years that needs instant-classic status). They continued on in the psychedelic rock vein long after most bands had stopped, and add various components to that core.
GO DOWNLOAD: The Crushed Velvet Apocalypse, Nemesis On-Line

2. Death in June. And the entire British Dark Folk movement, really, but Death in June were the first band to do it, and have always been the most commercially accessible. They kind of fell off a cliff after Pearce moved to Australia, but the new live album is pretty darned good.
GO DOWNLOAD: The World That Summer, Disc Riminate: A Compilation of Personal Choice, But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?

3. The Replacements. While they, like label- and city-mates Husker Du (see #4), were only around for a relatively short period of time-- nine years-- they were inestimably influential during that period, and are one of the very few hardcore bands to survive a transition to pop and still sound great. Paul Westerberg is as good a songwriter as Bob Dylan-- he just came along too late for anyone to notice. (He's still doing it today as a solo artist under the moniker Grandpaboy.)
GO DOWNLOAD: Pleased to Meet Me, Tim

4. Husker Du. There was something in the water in Minneapolis in the late seventies, and whatever it was, it spawned both Paul Westerberg (of the Replacements) and Bob Mould (of Husker Du). The Huskers were around for an even shorter time, seven years, but they had exactly the same career arc as the 'Mats, just in a shorter time. Release some blistering hardcore albums that rank among the best ever heard in the genre, then gradually move over to power pop, sparking a revitalization of that genre. Break up when one member of the band gets too involved with addictive substances, and have your lead singer go on to a solo career that's not nearly as successful as it should be. But then, the band wasn't either. Husker Du were one of the greatest bands ever, and they still don't get recognition for influencing, basically, every hard rock, metal, and "punk" (there hasn't been a great punk album since 1992) band to come after them.
GO DOWNLOAD: Zen Arcade, Candy Apple Grey, Warehouse: Songs and Stories

5. Einsturzende Neubauten. No single band since the Beatles has influenced as much music as has Einsturzende Neubauten. This is where almost everything since 1978 began. EN were the genesis of "industrial" music, both in its pure form (and, really, there are only a handful of pure industrial albums-- ones that use no traditional musical instruments at all) and in the dance-rock form popularized by Skinny Puppy etc. EN's rhythmic and vocal approach was a huge influence on hardcore (and, through hardcore, all metal since about 1985), their frenetic pounding on stuff was a precursor to dance music (EN and KMFDM palled around a lot back in KMFDM's more experimental days), and, of course, the lack of instrumentation was a huge factor in the blossoming of noise. It's safe to say, as Henry ROllins once did in a documentary, that everyone who ever heard an Einsturzende Neubauten album between 1978 and 1985 went out and started a band. Everyone.
GO DOWNLOAD: Strategies Against Architecture 1980-1983, Tabula Rasa

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip great. i don't know #'s 1 & 2.....the other three are fantastic bands. i'll have to seek out 1 & 2. lots of love for minnesota bands up in there!

message 10: by Johnny (new)

Johnny (Jilsao) Laugh it you will, but I always thought "Blues Traveler" were underrated, they only released the singles from "Four" that had harmonica on them like it was the gimmick or something. The tracks on that album hardly anyone heard were some cool tunes...

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica Hi King,

I lost the Stooges thread and wanted to send you T.V. Eye from Fun House, but don't know how over goodreads. If you don't have it, let me know. If you do, crank it up as much as possible in your current circumstance.

Awrabest,
(as a Scotsman in Austria says)

Monica

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica Yeah, I'm ashamed to say I, flipped over that album of covers the lead singer did a few years ago.

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica Paul Weller is the lead singer I was thinking of.
I googled. I cheated.

message 14: by Monica (last edited Feb 02, 2009 08:05PM) (new)

Monica Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. Have you heard the Studio 150 CD?

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica Hmmm, thanks for the tip. I've so many books I want to get...I'll add them to my other wish list. :-)