Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #1) Abraham Lincoln question

Old Abe: Better off dead or undead?
Maurice Maurice Jun 12, 2012 08:16PM
For those who've finished...

I actually hated the ending. I think Abe's resurrection went against everything that he believed. Also while you can pretend that the rest of the book did happen as it is well in the past, the resurrection of Abe undermines the whole story. It's not like people wouldn't recognize someone as famous as Lincoln, especially these days.

While I found the parting of Abe and Henry hard, I would have rather it ended that way.

Scott couldn't agree with you more ...more
Aug 10, 2012 05:21PM · flag

I got the feeling they had reconciled and begun to work together to shape history. Who knows what events were deflected or manifested by these two? I really liked the way the story closed. Much imagination to be had!

it would be better if the book had included a bit of abe undead so we know what he has done since he supposedly died... if he's still active in making changes, then undead... but if he's just observing, then dead...

Gretchen (last edited Aug 07, 2012 09:58AM ) Aug 07, 2012 09:56AM   0 votes
Whether he died, was brought back to life, is a living dead individual is immaterial. I think that the point that the author wanted to leave you with, the dramatic crescendo at the end was the idea that "some men are just too interesting to die."
Which in fact great men like Lincoln do not die, they live on forever in our culture. We continue to talk about them and analyze what we think they would have done had they lived, or if they were faced with many present day situations. Lincoln is very much still alive.

I think he's doing just fine as the King of Mars.

Nat (last edited Jun 14, 2012 08:05PM ) Jun 14, 2012 08:02PM   0 votes
I thought it was a prefect ending. I think if they continued with the story after that it would have been a bit much and I think it would have added just that little bit that would make the story seem hokey.

I wasn't sure if I would like the book, but as I kept reading it, it was very hard to put down. I haven't seen the movie and I'm definitely glad I read the book first.
It definitely left me with the idea that I would like to read more about Abe being brought back. Even though it went against what he believed and some people are to interesting to be dead, I would like to think that it would pave the way for more interesting adventures into history with other figures that were larger than life also.

deleted member Aug 07, 2012 11:14AM   0 votes
I definitely was disappointed with the end. After fighting and despising something most of your life only to wake up as that very thing would be terrible. Plus now he has to live with all the horrific memories of the deaths of loved ones due to his actions forEVER. Plus he gets to watch his remaining family die off. Fun.

It did suggest some involvement in WWII in Europe. A sequel of Lincoln and Henry battling Nazis would be interesting.

When Abe was alive, he and Henry did not exactly part on good terms, to put it mildly. When I read the book, I was glad of the undead ending if only because it gave the two of them a chance for a reconciliation; I would have been crushed if the last words they'd ever exchanged had been so cold. That said, it would have been nice if we could actually SEE them talk to each other in the book, just to have some kind of closure. Just a page? A paragraph? How about one sentence? Something! We really have no sense of how happy or unhappy Abe is, nor do we know where he really stands with Henry.

Jennifer Tanko Harmeyer Some people are too interesting to die...yes, I too hope they were able to get over their differences.
Jul 13, 2012 07:21AM · flag