Horror Illusion discussion

Horror titles > Scariest book you've ever read?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah, Boooooo(k) Mod (last edited Jun 12, 2012 08:11PM) (new)

Hannah (faize) | 70 comments Mod
For me, it'd probably be The Road, but that's because I saw the movie prior to reading it and I think they did a great job bringing out the more subtle horror elements.

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice Hobbs | 3 comments Scariest book I ever read was The Store by Bentley Little. Just thinking about it gives me chills. It's a bout a smallish town where a new Store is about to open. Lots of people in the community get jobs there and they have just about everything. Sounds great right? Oh jeez!

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Collins (Nancy_A_Collins) I don't know about 'scary' but The Road is definitely one of the more disturbing books I've read. The same author's Blood Meridian is also quite foreboding. The Shining by Stephen King,Ghost Story by Peter Straub & Hell House by Richard Matheson were also good for a shudder. JG Ballard's Crash is also in the same category as The Road--more disturbing/disgusting on an emotional level than traditionally 'scary'.

message 4: by Hannah, Boooooo(k) Mod (last edited Jun 13, 2012 12:19PM) (new)

I agree with you on your first point there.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris-garciduenas) | 6 comments I don't know about scary the book that kept me wide eyed was Adam, by Ted Dekker. It was based on demon poesession.

message 6: by Hannah, Boooooo(k) Mod (new)

I've heard Ted Dekker has published some pretty freaky stuff, but I've never gotten around to reading any of it. This must be fixed!!:)

message 7: by Danielzinho (new)

Danielzinho | 4 comments I read this book a long time ago, but it was pretty scary - 'Needful Things' by Stephen King. Also, when I was little, there was this series, also based on a King novel - 'IT', boy, did it give me nightmares... Haven't read the book yet, though. Looking forward to it!

message 8: by Raven (new)

Raven I like 3 by Ted Dekker not frightening though.

Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ* (appsl) | 69 comments I haven't read a scary book till now!!! :(
Please recommend me some reallllly scary book...

message 10: by Raven (new)

Raven Hmm. . . Really scary?? The Devouring series freaked me out. I loved it though.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris-garciduenas) | 6 comments I own the book Thr3e it's fairly good.

Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ* (appsl) | 69 comments Thanks guys! I'll go get them...from somewhere. xD

message 13: by Bookgeek_zah, Head (less) Mod (new)

Bookgeek_zah | 181 comments Mod
:)

message 14: by Arthur (new)

Arthur | 23 comments The SHINING is extremely scary.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert | 1 comments IT by Stephen King,I would also have to agree that THE STORE is also very creepy....

message 16: by cynthia (new)

cynthia (peeksmom) | 1 comments 'Swan Song' then 'The Shining'.

message 17: by Hannah, Boooooo(k) Mod (new)

OHMYGOSH, I take back what I said earlier. The Road comes in second place for most disturbing.

In April, I read Blindness by Jose Saramago. The scariest, most disturbing and unbelievably real book I have ever read.

message 18: by cy (new)

cy Robert wrote: "IT by Stephen King,I would also have to agree that THE STORE is also very creepy...."

amen!

message 19: by ~Brandy~ (new)

~Brandy~ The Amityville Horror totally freaked me out. But then again I read it when I was little. That picture of the pig that the little girl drew gave me the creeps....

message 20: by George (new)

George Jr. | 3 comments I have to agree with Brandy, The Amityville Horror disturbed me because at the time they claimed it was a true story. More recently The Epicure by H.R. Howland I found disturbing.

message 21: by Dina (new)

Dina Rae (dinarae) | 17 comments Loved The Road, but wasn't scary. I think The Shining was the all-time. I was little when I read it-maybe 11 or 12. Had nightmares for months. Loved the book and still do.

message 22: by Bookgeek_zah, Head (less) Mod (new)

Hahahahha!

message 23: by Clark (new)

Clark Hays | 8 comments I'm with Dina. I read The Shining when young and it freaked me out. I read it again recently and found it not so scary at all.

Much scarier, for me, are nonfiction works like Cruelty: Human Evil and the Human brain (Taylor). When you read about what people are actually capable of, and how their brains work (or don't work) while committing atrocities ... well, you want to sleep with a dagger under your pillow.

message 24: by Rena (new)

Rena (goodreadscomuser_renatexidor50f9) | 2 comments Janice wrote: "Scariest book I ever read was The Store by Bentley Little. Just thinking about it gives me chills. It's a bout a smallish town where a new Store is about to open. Lots of people in the community ge..."

I love that book! Very intricate, and very strange.

message 25: by Rena (new)

Rena (goodreadscomuser_renatexidor50f9) | 2 comments The Takening by Dean Koontz and Strangewood (not Koontz), are two thoroughly creepy books.

message 26: by Christina (new)

Christina Reeder (ladyreeder) I just read Adam by Dekker, was chilling from time to time.....I loved it!!! I also have read books by King, Koontz and Little. I'd say Little is more on the creepier side. But all in all they all are great story tellers.

message 27: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Taylor | 1 comments reading "it" by Stephen King as we speak. definitely gives me the creeps......and I love it!

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Wiliamson Sandiha | 3 comments Janice wrote: "Scariest book I ever read was The Store by Bentley Little. Just thinking about it gives me chills. It's a bout a smallish town where a new Store is about to open. Lots of people in the community ge..."

Is that the same story as Needful Things by Stephen King? Just wondering because how you described it sounded familiar to his book.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Wiliamson Sandiha | 3 comments Stephen Kings "IT" is one of the scariest books I have read. To this day walking by sewer drains gives me the creeps. At Kroger by my house in one of the parking spots is a drain right when you get out of your car, I always freak out and imagine that creepy clown looking back up at me. I try not to park there even though it's close lol

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Wiliamson Sandiha | 3 comments Kyle ~The Rebel Leader~ wrote: "I couldn't go near storm drains and bathroom sinks for a year after reading IT."

I hear ya on that!!!

message 31: by Allana (new)

Allana (allanavee) | 9 comments Not a book, but a short story called 'The Monkey's Paw'.
Be careful what you wish for. :)

message 32: by Reymart (new)

Reymart Dinglasa (ReymartwritesAbook) | 58 comments I've read the IT a year ago every night. One of the scariest. I loved it. and always love it. And yeah. Salem's Lot and The Shining.

message 33: by Will (new)

Will Granger | 2 comments I think The Shining, although someone told me the ending and ruined it. Ironically, It by Stephen King was really scary for me until the ending.

message 34: by Bookgeek_zah, Head (less) Mod (new)

Reymart wrote: "I've read the IT a year ago every night. One of the scariest. I loved it."

I agree that book's absolutely extraordinary :)

message 35: by Scott (new)

Scott Langrel | 1 comments 'The Ceremonies' by T.E.D. Klein.

message 36: by Bookgeek_zah, Head (less) Mod (new)

I'll look into it Scott, sounds intriguing!

Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ* (appsl) | 69 comments I'll definitely have to try it out!!