Lord of the Flies Lord of the Flies discussion

Alternate ending(s)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Margarita

In my ending, all the little kids that weren't part of Jack's hunting group or that were force to join because of fear, get rescued along with Ralf by that soldier who ends up being Ralf's dad. Jack and his evil minons get left behind on the island and end up dying because of the fire that they themselves start.

Once all the little boys are back to civilization, they all go back to their homes where a long term of theropy will be awaiting them.

Ralf tells his father about all the things that happened in the island, inculding the death of Simon and his best friend Piggy. Ralf tells his dad that he wants to go in search of Piggy's aunt so that they can explain to her what happened to her nephew.

Thats my alternate ending

Lena Nice. I had hope that we would find out how they coped with normal life after the island.

I also wanted them to kill Ralph.

I also wanted at least a couple of them to be convicted for murder/man slaughter.

I also wanted Jack and/or Roger to die.

Tanvi Lena wrote: "Nice. I had hope that we would find out how they coped with normal life after the island.

I also wanted them to kill Ralph.

I also wanted at least a couple of them to be convicted for murder/man ..."

You wanted them to kill Ralph? And how could they possibly convict kids of murder? They would be termed juvenile delinquents at the most.

Melissa Why? So that we would feel better about the book? Revisionism is not my thing.

AnNie My alternative ending is where Simon lives. The end.

Sparrowlicious Melissa wrote: "Why? So that we would feel better about the book? Revisionism is not my thing."

Agreed. I like the (not so open) 'open' ending and that the kids get rescued regardless of what they did on the island.

Anwesha Uh, I was pretty much assuming that all the kids would eventually die. Morbid as it is, that was my alternate ending.

message 8: by Youstina (new) - added it

Youstina Hanna why would RALPH want to talk to Piggy's mom? Doesn't he have a mother and a father?

Geoffrey The ending was appropriately ironic. A representative from the adult world, responsible for the nuclear war that took down the plane the children were in, exclaims that the children are nothing more than barbarians. What moxie!

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Funderburk The mere fact that the book was thought provoking enough to still be discussed today, this discussion a case in point, seems to suggest that the original ending was perfect!