Hardcore Faith discussion

Adam
This topic is about Adam
general themes > Adam by Ted Dekker

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) It takes an obsessive mind to know one. And Daniel Clark knows the elusive killer he's been stalking.

He's devoted every waking minute as a profiler to find the serial killer known only as Eve. He's pored over the crime scenes of sixteen young women who died mysterious deaths, all in underground basements or caverns. He's delved into the killer's head and puzzled over the twisted religious overtones of the killings.

What Daniel can't possibly know is that he will be Eve's next victim. He will be the killer's first Adam. After sixteen hopeless months, the case takes a drastic turn on a very dark night when Daniel is shot and left for dead.

Resuscitated after twenty minutes of clinical death, Daniel finds himself haunted by the experience. He knows he's seen the killer's face, but the trauma of dying has obscured the memory and left him with crushing panic attacks. Nothing--not even desperate, dangerous attempts to reexperience his own death--seems to bring him closer to finding the killer.

Then Eve strikes again, much closer to home. And Daniel's obsession explodes into a battle for his life . . . his sanity . . . his very soul.

Enter a world of death and near death that blurs the lines between fiction and reality in a way that will leave you stunned.

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) Discuss! (I thought we could do individual book discussions regardless of whether or not said book is selected for a group read.)

This book freaked me out a little. :)

(view spoiler)

Dustin Thank you, thank you very much, J.S! This is AWESOME!

Tracy Thanks J. so we are going to start this in July?

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) Tracy wrote: "Thanks J. so we are going to start this in July?"

The last I checked the poll, it's still a tie between this and Demon: A Memoir.

Tracy I can hardly wait to read this book. It's sitting on my dresser waiting for the first.

Dustin Hi, Tracy-

I am very much looking forward to sinking my teeth into Adam, as well! Unfortunately, I won't be able to begin on the 1st like we'd talked about (there's just too much going on right now,) but I'm hoping to get to it around the middle of the month, or thereabouts..:)

Tracy I can wait a while Dustin. What does Stormy and Odd call it, delayed gratification? I have Odd Hours and Reason to Breath that I have to read for July. I am also missing one but for the life of me I can't think of what it is.

Tracy Oh, I know it's Angel Evolution by David Estes.

Dustin Sounds great, Tracy! I really appreciate that.

How's Odd Hours, anyway?

Tracy I just finished Odd Hours Dustin and Odd Interlude. I miss him already. I can hardly wait for Odd Apocalypse. I wish this series would go on and on and why not. Butcher is doing it with Dresden and then there is Alex Cross, Harry Bosch, Stone Barrington and many more. I could handle having a new Oddie every year.

Dustin Oh good, I'm glad you enjoyed it, Tracy!

Did I ever tell you that I read Odd Thomas, and found it quite enjoyable?

Tracy No Dustin I don't think you did. I love Oddie he's great. I'm missing him though wishing my life away so I can dread Apocalypse at the and of the month.

Isn't it Frankenstein that you don't care for?

Dustin Well the first two Frankenstein books were okay, but the ending of #3 really turned me off big time, and I've since lost a lot of respect for Koontz's newer work. I love most of his older material, though!

Tracy Hey Dustin think I'm going to start Adam now. I am reading two other books so it will take me a little bit to get through it. Its just sitting there on my nightstand looking at me all sad.

Dustin All right, Tracy.

message 17: by J.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) So who's read Adam yet?

Tracy I have started it but I'm not finished. It is a little slower than the other Dekker books I have read. Not that it isn't good just not as gripping so far.

Dustin Please let us know your thoughts on it, Tracy, once you're done..:)

Tracy Hey Dustin! I will. Right now I am trying to finish up 4 books for a read a thon I am doing right now. Adam is one of the 4 so I hope to have it finished this week.

Dustin Tracy wrote: "Hey Dustin! I will. Right now I am trying to finish up 4 books for a read a thon I am doing right now. Adam is one of the 4 so I hope to have it finished this week."

Oh, okay. Thank you!

message 22: by Nike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nike Chillemi J. S. wrote: "It takes an obsessive mind to know one. And Daniel Clark knows the elusive killer he's been stalking.

He's devoted every waking minute as a profiler to find the serial killer known only as Eve. He..."

I read this novel a while back and it's one of my Dekker favs.

Tracy Glad to hear that Nike. I have heard some great things but when I started it was a little slow but it has started picking up now. I love everything Dekker that I have read and relieved I won't be disappointed with this one.

Tracy I have finished Adam and of course I loved it as much as I have loved all the others I have read. I think this one had more of a Christian atmosphere than the others I have read. Well, the stand alones anyway , of course the Circle series and the Books of History's are Christian.

message 25: by Dustin (last edited Jul 30, 2012 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin Wow, that's great to hear, Tracy!:)

message 26: by J.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) I lent Adam to my grandmother a couple of months ago. She called me on the phone when she finished it. "That was intense!" she said. I wholeheartedly agreed.

Dustin J. S. wrote: "I lent Adam to my grandmother a couple of months ago. She called me on the phone when she finished it. "That was intense!" she said. I wholeheartedly agreed."

Wow, your grandmother, J.S..?

message 28: by J.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) Dustin wrote: "J. S. wrote: "I lent Adam to my grandmother a couple of months ago. She called me on the phone when she finished it. "That was intense!" she said. I wholeheartedly agreed."

Wow, your grandmother, ..."

What? She's only 71. (Compared to my 23.)

message 29: by J.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) She reads lots of crime fiction, and this was right up her alley.

Dustin Wooo-hooo, I'm so excited!! I finally started Adam last night! I'm only 19 pages in, and I'm loving it already.:) It's fascinating!

Tracy Glad you have started it Dustin.

Tracy J. S. wrote: "She reads lots of crime fiction, and this was right up her alley."

Treasure that common interest and form a bond out of it because its not often you will experience it.

Dustin Tracy wrote: "Glad you have started it Dustin."

Thank you very much, Tracy!!:) I cannot wait to get back into it!

message 34: by J.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) Tracy wrote: "J. S. wrote: "She reads lots of crime fiction, and this was right up her alley."

Treasure that common interest and form a bond out of it because its not often you will experience it."

She and I do have quite a bit in common. :)

Dustin So far (I'm only on p. 109,) I am really liking Adam a LOT! Dekker's character development is very impressive, the suspense is unstoppable, and the story's unpredictable. I just want to delve deeper into the characters and find out what happens next!!
Plus, the 9-part news article throughout the novel is utterly fascinating. I'm loving it!!

message 36: by J.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) Dustin wrote: "So far (I'm only on p. 109,) I am really liking Adam a LOT! Dekker's character development is very impressive, the suspense is unstoppable, and the story's unpredictable. I just want to delve deepe..."

Doesn't that article make it seem like the story is something that really happened?

Dustin J. S. wrote: "Dustin wrote: "So far (I'm only on p. 109,) I am really liking Adam a LOT! Dekker's character development is very impressive, the suspense is unstoppable, and the story's unpredictable. I just want..."

YES! It's very much like reading a real-life magazine article...Chilling.

Dustin I should be done with Adam later today! Yay!!:)

Tracy How are you liking it Dustin?

Dustin Oh, I am LOVING it, Tracy! It's very rare that a book creeps me out like this one continues to do, and effect me like it has. Bravo, Ted Dekker!!

Dustin I should have my review of Adam up fairly soon. My mind's still reeling..

Dustin At long last, my review of Adam is complete!:)
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...