Anne Rice's Vampires discussion

Interview or Queen?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hulst (KimberlyHulst) | 7 comments Which of the two movies do you prefer?
Interview with a Vampire or Queen of the Damned?

I think I have to side with Queen of the Damned. I enjoyed both Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned (books 3 and 4) much better then I did the first one. I was sad they combined them into one film though instead of two.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Interview with the Vampire. I wasn't to crazy about the other Vampire films they made. I prefer Interview it portrays the book better in my opinion.

message 3: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned are books 2 and 3...

Interview was the best movie! It actually followed the book really well, just a tad different at the end.

BUT Queen of the Damned had an awesome soundtrack :)

message 4: by Eli (new)

Eli Perez (preciousbug93) | 5 comments Haha I agree with Lorna Interview really portrayed Lestat and Louis very well even claudia I didnt like that it was different but it was still great. QOD did have a kick ass soundtrack I like the song forsaken the most.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

i never seen any of her movies

message 6: by Koko (new)

Koko | 1 comments interview with the vampire great movie!!!!!!!!!!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Interview was a great movie and started my love affair with vampires but I liked Queen for what it was; If you don't get caught up in the inconsistancies between the books and the movie.

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 1 comments I'd have to say Queen.
I'm sorry I think Louis is a whiny little girl and he bores me. Claudia wasn't much better.
I loved Queen bc it explained the origin of vampires and had most of the vampires in Rice's little world in it. Fascinating stuff!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2010 10:02AM) (new)

I think both films were horrible, to be honest... But Interview would be the lesser evil, I suppose.

I'm not even going to comment on Queen, that's how horrible it was to me.

But, as far as Interview is concerned.. I do not understand where they were trying to go with that film. It's so bad compared to the novel...
Brad Pitt messed Louis up so badly, he turned him into a whiny kid - rather than a melancholic sad soul.
Tom Cruise should have NEVER, I repeat NEVER played Lestat. Lestat is supposed to be an alluring, graceful, sexy aristocrat. Tom Cruise as not able to bring that out in his playing..
Kirsten Dunst didn't do so bad as Claudia. My biggest objection to her was her age. She was too old.
Antonio Banderas was supposed to play a 16 year old vampire.. he sure as hell did not look like he was sixteen years old to me.. o.o

message 10: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Lefkowitch (rnhealer) | 2 comments I am sorry to disGREE WITH THOSE WHO HAVE ENJOYED qUEEN oF tHE dAMNED AS A FILM. iT'S MY FAVOIRTE OF aNNE rICE'S vAM[IRE cHRONICLE NOVELS AND i WAS APALLED AT THE MESS THEY MADE OF THIS FILM. tHE ACTING WAS TERRIBLE AND THE CHARACTERS WER NOT WELL CAST. i DIDN'T LIkE IT AT ALL. tO EACH THEIR OWN poison.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Rodriguez  (jessilyn027) Lorna wrote: "Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned are books 2 and 3...

Interview was the best movie! It actually followed the book really well, just a tad different at the end.

BUT Queen of the Damned ..."

I agree that soundtrack was awesome and your right Interview was a much better movie. They left off way too much in Queen of the damned. It didn't have the same storyline at all. ;(

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise Rago (denisekrago) Interview.

message 13: by Meike (new)

Meike (meikewhitford) Just fnished queen of the damned and really enjoyed it.. way better than interview.. not too sure if I want to watch the film though, eso not as ppl say it was too far off the book, would only be disappointed i guess..

Did anyone else feel a bit deflated by the end of queen? not too sure if I want to keep reading the chronicles, think i need a break from anne rice for a moment. And the beginning of body thief could not hook me straight away...

message 14: by Dan (last edited Nov 11, 2011 09:51PM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 5 comments I was fifteen when the Interview With The Vampire movie came out and when I saw it I loved it. Later, when I got older, I read the book and loved that too. Queen of The Damned was a good vampire flick, it had great special effects, lots of gore and vampire fighting. And it is so sad what happened to Allya, I think she did a good job playing Akasha. And even though he didn't have Lestat's trademark blonde hair and blue eyes, I thougt Stewart Townsend did a good job as Lestat. But, when I read the novel it was totally different than what was in the movie. I don't know, I guess I'd have to go with Interview With The Vampire being the better one.

message 15: by Theuniverse67 (last edited Sep 26, 2012 02:45PM) (new)

Theuniverse67 (theuniverse) Actually, I quite enjoyed them both. But Queen of the Damned most certainly was my favorite, regardless if it didn't stay entirely true to the book.

message 16: by Fatima (new)

Fatima Hojeij Both great. But i would choose queen of the damned

message 17: by Lana (new)

Lana Lou (lialanalou) | 2 comments Oh man, Queen REALLY sucked!
Look at the actors! No one ever said Akasha has to be half naked and no comment on Lestat...
Tom Cruise indeed did a better job!!!
And whenever I'm reading something about Louis, Brad Pitt appears in front of my eyes, which, in my opinion, isn't so bad :D
He was perfect for Louis and I was totally stunned by Kirsten Dunst as Claudia. She also was perfect and yet such a good actress as a child.
The only big minus is Antonio Banderas of course. I was a little confused after seeing the movie because that didn't fit in at all.
The end differs a little but I think the scene between Armand and Louis after Claudia died is just gorgeous, so no objection.
All in all it's one of my favorite movies and it truly conveys the book's atmosphere!

message 18: by Keair (new)

Keair Snyder | 1 comments Kimberly wrote: "Which of the two movies do you prefer?
Interview with a Vampire or Queen of the Damned?

I think I have to side with Queen of the Damned. I enjoyed both Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned (bo..."

I, personally, despised The Queen of the Damned. I hated it compared with the book, I hated it compared with the characters in general, and the only positive thing I can say for it is that the soundtrack wasn't bad...even though Anne Rice had lyrics in the book that could have been used and wasn't. Interview with the Vampire, on the other hand, though different from the book, was still very much Anne Rice (probably because she wrote the screen play.) The actors were amazing, the story at least resembled the book (unlike QOTD that changed everything from who made Jesse to who made Lestat and tried to cram 2 books into one movie), it was all done well.

message 19: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Marston | 1 comments Wow, this is the first positive post I have seen about queen of the damned, other than the soundtrack I thought it was a failure.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

QOTD is a decent on its own. As an adaptation it is not very good, but you have to look at the film separate from it's legacy. QOTD novel is a massive, amazing historical and contemporary masterpiece so any film would have a lot to uphold. Hopefully with the franchise reboot we'll finally get the VC it deserves on film/TV.

message 21: by Andrew Michael (new)

Andrew Michael Schwarz (amichaelschwarz) | 2 comments Interview was a much better movie, as movies go, but as a fan you love them both, and nothing beats real vampire music. But really, Interview was the superior film.