Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

II. Publishing & Marketing Tips > Facebook Fan Pages: Does it Matter When You Post?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randy (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:18PM) (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments Some experts recommend that you post before or after work hours and on weekends. Do this apply to writers' Fan Pages? (Not necessarily.)

to read about my experience

message 2: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Frances | 133 comments This is a great question/topic. I supposed it depends on which time zone you're working with. If you're too early with the post, it may get lost. If you're too late, well, it may get lost. . .
Weekends? How does a holiday impact exposure? Should you post before or after a holiday weekend?

message 3: by Randy (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments Hi Jaye,

In my experience, it doesn't seem to matter. The link above that says "my experience" discusses my experience.

I think my fans read when they have time. (or maybe they're all unemployed.)

message 4: by Justin (last edited Jun 13, 2012 08:38PM) (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Hmm, I would agree in saying it doesn't matter. Although I haven't been posting stuff on my Fanpage lately I have found it tends to go unnoticed or un commented no matter what time of day it is. I myself am unemployed so I could be posting like crazy on there but when I do see someone liking or commenting it makes me happy but this is very rare.

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments Thanks for comments, Justin.

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Thorson (jennthorson) | 65 comments Lately, Fan pages have been having the issue that Facebook is limiting the amount of fans that see new postings. In fact, George Takei was just posting about this this afternoon.

This blogger posted a workaround folks can use to be able to see more from the pages they've Liked-- http://alwaysupward.com/blog/fb-fans-...

Of course, the Fans need to see the information in order to make adjustments on their side. :)

I'm noticing about 18-25% of people who have Liked my page see a post.

message 7: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (terrytyler) | 93 comments I think you could drive yourself nuts trying to work this one out. Also, everyone's page is different. Logically, you might think that the best time would be 7.30 in the evening. But what about all the stay at home writers and mums, unemployed, disabled, or just lucky enough not to have to work? There are all sorts of theories about the best time to FB post, tweet, etc etc. I think it's individual, and you have to work it out for yourself re your own friends/fanbase/followers

message 8: by Randy (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments Jenn:
According to Always Upward, 18-25% is high, you must be doing something right!

Another option I'm considering: pay to reach all fans and send them a note telling them how to receive all my posts. (To reach 1,900 of my fans would only cost $10.)

I think Tweeting is more specific because your message is only on top of the feed for short while. I would think FB posts would stay on top of newsfeed longer. Or not...

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Klehr (goodreadscomkevink) | 50 comments Justin wrote: "Hmm, I would agree in saying it doesn't matter. Although I haven't been been stuff on my Fanpage lately I have found it tends to go unnoticed or un commented no matter what time of day it is. I mys..."

Justin, I find the same problem. Being in Sydney I tend to post during the morning to grab the attention of US 'friends' in the evening - but most of my stuff goes unnoticed or un-commented on.

I tend to 'comment on' or 'share' other people's posts to get noticed.

That's why I like the goodreads forums. I can comment, go to bed and magically overnight the folks on the other side of the timeline respond.

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments As for people who are following my Fanpage they tend to just not notice but as for my friends on my regular page I sent out a request for them to like my FanPage and only 3 out of 50 liked it..That could be it went unnoticed, bypassed or even ehh I dont really care which hurts my feelings cause I mean even if you don't care its like we are friends show me some support ya know? I mean I'd support my friends if they wrote a book! But yeah it's one thing to get followers and follow others but it's a completely different story to keep up with the pages.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Randy wrote: "Some experts recommend that you post before or after work hours and on weekends. Do this apply to writers' Fan Pages? (Not necessarily.)

to read about my experience"

some experts seem to forget this is a global market and your perfect timing might be night-time for your greatest fan.
I think real fans/readers will go look at your page whenever they want to know what's new. The rest, forget it - I'm in Italy, and I have friends all over the world, from North America to Australia, can't post at the "right time" for each of them. Besides, some are night-owls, other morning persons, so you never know when the right time is...