Oly Reads discussion

Book Talk > What books are you hoping to find under the Christmas tree?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
Are you asking for books for Christmas/Hanukkah/Chinese New Year/Winter Solstice? Which ones?
My Christmas wish this year is for Sherman Alexie's National Book Award winner, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. (And some sweaters would be nice, too...)

message 2: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
I wouldn't complain if I got either of the aforementioned choices. I really want "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence." I've so far bought it for my sister and my friend Christian, but really I wanted to keep it for mine own self both times. I also want the 2008 World Almanac. And a nice fancy new dictionary. And, the illustrated Strunk and White's Elements of Style book that they put out every year. I think it has a dog on the cover this time around. And, some new cookbooks. And, this scary book from my childhood called "From Bad to Worse" that I was telling Jackie about the other day. There's more, but I'll save those for another post.

By the way, it's my birthday tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get a Kitchenaid. That is all.

message 3: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Happy Birthday, Agathafrye! Let's go to Batdorf tomorrow to celebrate!

message 4: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

I got a Kitchenaid! It's shiny and red. Now I've got to find some good bread cookbooks. Bread for Christmas, all round.

message 5: by Merwyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Merwyn Haskett | 46 comments I've actually wanted less books this year, mainly so that I could catch up a bit on some that haven't been touched. However, along with Nick Drake CDs and Ring of Honor wrestling DVDs I wouldn't mind finding all seven Harry Potter books under the tree.

I like Harry Potter, so sue me...

message 6: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

I don't think you're alone in liking Harry Potter, Merwyn! I think I might possibly be one of the only people left on the planet who hasn't read them yet. At this point, there's so much perceived pressure that I don't think I'll ever read them. My daughter has been badgering me for years.
PS- I love Nick Drake, even though he makes me cry.

message 7: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Maybe you could give it to me, unless it has a holiday motif. Then I for sure won't want it. I just ordered Cleo these books for Christmas (she never reads this, so I'm safe)...
* The Absolutely True Diary... (see Jackie and King's posts above)
* Organizing from the Inside Out for Teenagers: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Room, Your Time, and Your Life (a mother can dream...)
* America Dreaming: How Youth Changed America in the 60's
* Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, Book 1)
* The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, Book 2)

And, for Dave and Cleo combined...
* Ripley's Believe it or Not 2008 special edition
* The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2008

message 8: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Nick Drake rocks! Well, actually, not so much rocks, per se, it would be weird to rock out to Drake. But he's great. He makes me cry, too.
I love reference books for Christmas. That World Almanac sounds enticing! Maybe I'll get it for my husband, Chris, and then just borrow it for awhile. He, he, he!
Every 3-4 years, I ask for a new Videohound Golden Movie Retriever. Not this year, though. I've requested a book by Michael J. Nelson (of Mystery Science Theater 3000 fame), Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese. He mocks all the mockable big Hollywood movies. Mmmm, cheese!

message 9: by Merwyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Merwyn Haskett | 46 comments Sounds like he's saying "kids books" like that's a bad thing :P

message 10: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Dearest Jenny-
Please tell Will that he's wrong and you're right. Thank you, that is all.

message 11: by Agathafrye (new)

So, what did everyone get/give? I gave a lot of books this year. Besides the ones I mentioned above, I bought for various people "Treehouses of the World," "Punk House: Interiors in Anarchy," and a boxed set of the "Warriors" series by Erin Hunter. I also got a year's subscription to McSweeney's from my honey.

I got the Sherman Alexie book I was hoping for (thanks, Mom!), but have yet to start it, as I didn't plan ahead and take vacation this week. Sometimes I'm just not very bright...
Plus, I finally succumbed to that cold that's been floating around, and I'd love to curl up on the couch and read, but Chris is hogging the couch with his new Chris Matthews book Hardball, so I am stuck typing this sitting at a wooden chair at the table.
Sadly, I did not get the Mike Nelson book on Movie Megacheese - but I did get two Borders gift cards, so I can order it, and any other title that takes my fancy in the next week or so!