Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Description suddenly changed and wrong

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Etta (new)

Etta | 22 comments Hi guys,
the description of my book is suddenly wrong. It reads "A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave."
I have no idea where that came from. It should say
"Huckleberry Finn was a boy with no home. Jim was a runaway robot in search of freedom. Together they embarked upon the adventure of a lifetime! Mark Twain's classic text has been a lightning rod for controversy since its first publication in the late nineteenth century, and has consistently been one of the most banned books in schools and libraries across the United States. In an effort to fight the censorship of this iconic piece of literature, editors Gabriel Diani and Etta Devine have removed every instance of the word "n-word" and replaced it with the word "robot." Complete and unabridged (except for bits here and there), with E.W. Kemble's original illustrations painstakingly altered by artist Denise Devine to include robots, this bold new edition makes Twain's timeless work accessible to a whole new generation of readers ... without being bogged down by what he wanted to say about racism."

Thanks so much. I have no idea how that happened.

message 2: by Etta (new)

Etta | 22 comments Ahhh. So it looks like the book has been re-linked to other editions of Huck Finn, including the reviews and ratings.

This is an altered addition and was separated before.

This is the second time this has seemingly randomly happened. Is there a way to stop it from happening again?

message 3: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Per the decision made in this thread, the Robotic editions were combined with (linked as editions to) the original work. Apparently this had the accidental side affect of assimilating the description. I've fixed it for you. :)

message 4: by Etta (new)

Etta | 22 comments Thanks so much Amara. I was wondering where all the nasty comments from people who clearly had read nothing but the title were coming from:)

message 5: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Since I noticed you haven't claimed your author profile yet, here's where you can do that if you're interested.

message 6: by Etta (new)

Etta | 22 comments Amara wrote: "Since I noticed you haven't claimed your author profile yet, here's where you can do that if you're interested."

Thanks!

message 7: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) You're welcome on both counts. :)

message 8: by Etta (new)

Etta | 22 comments It seems that once again the ebook and the book have been separated. When you go to the ebook of the robotic edition it is the regular edition.

It would be great if there was a way for people to not constantly go in and change this. Trolling people with librarian status really make this site less useful.

message 9: by Amara (last edited Jun 24, 2012 05:43PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) I'm not sure what you mean; I'm still seeing them together. As a matter of fact, I checked the logs, and no one appears to have changed the record since I last fixed it for you.

message 10: by Etta (new)

Etta | 22 comments Ahhh.
I see. I was looking in the download section. When I go to download it downloads the non-robotic version. I-tunes doesn't go to the robotic edition on iTunes but says it doesn't exist.
Barnes and Noble seems to have some versions at less than retail which doesn't make any sense since we haven't sold to them.
None of the online stores except Amazon have the book and our website where we sell the book isn't on it at all.

It being attached to the other versions seems to be confusing the auto stuff.

message 11: by Etta (new)

Etta | 22 comments Thanks.

message 12: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Etta wrote: "None of the online stores except Amazon have the book and our website where we sell the book isn't on it at all."

This is because those links work by ISBN. The ebook edition you're referring to is actually a Kindle edition; as it has an ASIN attached, using the non-Amazon links on its page will result in "book not found" messages.

As for your website not showing up on the list, ebook links are completely user-customizable. There are several defaults (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Worldcat, among a few others), but a user choose to add, delete, and/or rearrange their links however they please. For your website's store to appear there, the specific user looking at the list would have had to add your store to their list of links.

With this in mind, if you can provide the link to your website here, I can add it to the book in the "Official Website" field. That way, the link will appear on the robotic editions (and only on the robotic editions).

message 13: by Etta (new)

message 14: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) It's now added to both the Hardcover and Kindle editions of the Robotic Edition. :)