Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

Summer Reading June 11-17 > Abraham Lincoln was largely self taught. What kind of things have you learned outside of school and how/where did you learn them?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate, Young Adult Librarian (new)

Kate (katemcnair) | 58 comments Mod
HTML and web design. I did a lot of it in high school and never took a class until college. I use it today, and really appreciate knowing the language. I learned it mostly through websites like www.w3schools.com.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (themaybird) How to solve a rubik's cube.

message 3: by Regina (last edited Jun 11, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Regina Yan (reginayanster) | 14 comments Same! You can go to websites like http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/ that give you step-by-step instructions and tricks that help you remember them easily :)

message 4: by Austin (new)

Austin (airjordan) | 22 comments Hmm... well I'm homeschooled so I cook a lot. My mom and dad taught me to cook a bunch of different stuff.

message 5: by Clara (new)

Clara | 16 comments I learned about constellations from my grandma and about Mars/space exploration from some amazing, wonderful scientists and engineers at NASA. I learn a TON of stuff from the library. I love just going to the Non-Fiction section of the Lackman library and browsing for hours and hours. I usually find a lot of interesting books there.. science, physics, history... there's just so much, which is why I love going to the library, because I love learning new things just as much as I love reading stories.

message 6: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 32 comments I learned right from wrong and life lessons, I know that that sounds cheesy but it's true. So many of my moral values I've learned from experience. Not from teachers telling me that I shouldn't do "bad things".

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (themaybird) Regina wrote: "Same! You can go to websites like http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/ that give you step-by-step instructions and tricks that help you remember them easily :)"

I learned from Dan Brown's youtube videos :)

message 8: by Jenny (last edited Jun 13, 2012 07:43PM) (new)

Jenny | 42 comments I learned how to swim and play the flute and piano.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) I learned how to train my dog, and raise goats and poultry through 4-H.

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) I'm homeschooled, but outside of my normal studies I've learned to cook pretty well and I have recently gotten into learning about hair. I can do a whole bunch of different braids now :)
I go through different phases and learn as much as I can about one thing as I can and then a month or so later I switch to something else.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) Awesome! I'm part of the homeschool graduating class of 2012! Seems like all of us homeschoolers learned how to cook. My favorite to make is soup.

message 12: by Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (last edited Jun 14, 2012 06:57PM) (new)

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) It does seem like us homeschoolers know how to cook :) I looove soup, but my favorite is making desserts or pastries (I can make a killer cake).

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) I love making desserts too, especially cherry pie and lemon coconut bars.

message 14: by Kate, Young Adult Librarian (new)

Kate (katemcnair) | 58 comments Mod
Feel free to bring those by the library any time! Also, don't forget the library has lots of awesome cookbooks you can check out!

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) Oooh that would be fun! Maybe I'll bring a loaf or two of zucchini bread around later in the year (When we actually have zucchinis growing)!