Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #1)
This topic is about Abraham Lincoln
Summer Reading June 11-17 > Rewritten histories/classics: awesome or not?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate, Young Adult Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (katemcnair) | 58 comments Mod
Should authors be allowed to rewrite history or your favorite classic book? Is adding zombies to Pride and Prejudice sacrilegious or genius? Do vampires just confuse the history of Abraham Lincoln or bring it to life?

message 2: by Zach (new)

Zach | 26 comments I think that authors should be allowed to rewrite classics, it gets people to read the classics because they want to know the original story and learn more

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (themaybird) Well obviously they should be allowed, freedom of expression and all. Personally I also think its really cool, but I can see people finding it offensive or confusing.

message 4: by Austin (new)

Austin (airjordan) | 22 comments I agree with Zach. I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, but if I read the zombie version sometime soon I'm sure I'll want to read the original to get the real story.

message 5: by Clara (new)

Clara | 16 comments I think it's really important to know the original story before you read an adaptation. Give the author who came up with it some credit :)

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 42 comments I think people should be allowed to write whatever they want, but I encourage people to still read the original.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) I think that if it's in public domain, people should be able to rewrite it if they want to (there just so happen to be a few books I WISH were in public domain so I could rewrote their endings....). However, I also think that credit should be given where credit is due, and the original read first so that it can truly be appreciated for what it is and looked at in a manner unaffected by the rewrite.

District2tribute | 25 comments I think if adding zombie to a novel about love to get more people to read it is not right. I mean come up with your own book that would appeal to a greater range of audiences not just take a classic and stick an unnessecasry detail into it.