Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Where do I start?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie Desfosses (Italy3bug) | 1 comments I'm a new librarian! So there seems to be a lot of different tasks that librarians can do on goodreads. What do you suggest I start doing first? Theres just SO much!

message 2: by vicki_girl (last edited Jun 10, 2012 06:06PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments You could try working on these:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

Since the break with Amazon, alot of data needs to be added back to many books. You could try going through the list of editions of any book (example) and making sure every edition has a publication date, format, etc. added (to the best of your ability of course). Adding the language is also very helpful, as that field does not import automatically. Language data can usually be found at Worldcat.org by searching on the ISBN.

Just remember that we CANNOT use bookseller data (No Amazon, No B&N, No abebooks, etc.). A list of acceptable sites can be found in the following thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 3: by Kimmy (new)

Kimmy (kimmykay1213) | 16 comments Hello All. I'm a new librarian and came across a book listed twice while added some book images. I'm not sure how to delete one of the books since they both have comments and reviews. I was looking through the threads but couldn't figure out how to merge the two? Could someone point me in the direction of how to do this if its doable?

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Kimberly, you might want to start a new thread in the Book Issues folder with links to the duplicates, asking someone to walk you through step by step.

message 5: by Kimmy (new)

Kimmy (kimmykay1213) | 16 comments Thank you!!

message 6: by Krystal109 (new)

Krystal109 | 1086 comments If both of you haven't, read the librarian manual.

If you are ever unsure of how to do something or if it is okay to do something, ask on this group.

Check the commonly used threads for librarians like delete this book thread, combine books, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask. We would prefer you ask instead of accidentally making more work for yourself due to not knowing how to do something.

As for where to start, Cait listed a good thread. I started with my books and made sure the info was all correct and that they were added to a series (if they were in one).

message 7: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (booksandknowledge) | 3 comments Maybe this is kind of a stupid question, but ever since I became a Goodreads Librarian, it has bothering my mind.
Is there a way of deleting out librarian edits?

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Antonia, do you mean undoing the change made? Some edits can be undone and others can't. If an edit can be undone you'll see an "undo" link in the relevant change log, but this should be used with caution. (If you mean deleting the record of a change from the change log, then no, that's a permanent log.)

message 9: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (booksandknowledge) | 3 comments I meant the change log. Okay, thank you so much. I hope I'll do my best to contribute to the Librarian group. :-)