Austenland (Austenland, #1) Austenland discussion

What's wrong with Austenland?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer At a booksigning for Austenland, author Shannon Hale mentioned in passing that die-hard Jane Austen fans "hate" her for writing this book. I am at a loss. I thought the book was delightful and there were several literary nods to Austen's writing and humor. What's to hate?

Danielle I realize this is months after you posted this, but I thought I had an answer :) I think that those "die-hard Jane Austen fans" that Shannon was referring to are the ones that think that any "pretend" Austen novel, like Austenland, is just a disgrace to the original Jane Austen masterpieces. Basically, they would hate that she was trying to copy Austen's work. While I personally don't consider Austenland to be an imitation Austen novel, because it's in a completely different era, with different characters, plot, etc., I can still see how some "die-hard Jane Austen fans" would "hate" Shannon for this book. Hope this helps!

message 3: by Enna Isilee (new) - added it

Enna Isilee Yeah. Some people love the originals so much, they see others as cheap imitations. I personally LOVE Austen "sequels."

mary Ethington Hard to believe anyone wouldn't like the wit and fun of this easy reading book. I like Jane's works, but I don't think other books take away from her books or stories in the least. This book did not remind me so much of a "Austen" book, so I don't see the complaint. They probably never read it and just judged by the title.

Dayna I don't see the complaint either, and I am one of those Austen-imitator-haters, lol. I cannot stand "sequels" or the most blatant, though modern, retellings of Austen. This isn't one of those books though. Hale has written her own story, and I found it to be very witty. It seemed more inspired by the women that love Austen, and not so much by Austen herself. But I thought that Hale's frequent homages to Austen's best lines were fitting and funny. I would even buy this book, I liked it so much. In the paperback version that is. I would have to agree with Mary, and say that any die-hard Austen fans that might "hate" this book simply judge it by the title, and probably don't know much about it.

Bookishnymph *needs hea* I'm and avid lover of Austen, and I didn't think it was that bad. Different, maybe, but not really bad.

mary Ethington I loved it! It wasn't trying to copy Jane Austen at all! I thought the book was funny. The idea of using Austen lovers (like herself) to tell a story about was clever, but I saw it in no way trying to copy Austen's works.

Dystopian I didn't care for it, but not because I think Austen's works are sacrosanct.

I said why on my review of this book, if anyone cares to look.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim DeCina Same here, Dystopian - honestly I'm surprised so many Austen fans are okay with it, not because of authenticity or anything, but because it comes with an awesome premise and then seems to be making fun of anyone who'd ever be interested. Not to mention something other people have said better than me: Jane Austen was writing social satire. This is very unironic romantic fluff.

Paula Vince To be honest, I think that Jane Austen, with her sense of humour, would be very amused and flattered by what Shannon Hale has done with Austenland.

Tedders Not everything I say about Shannon is flattering, but I'm going to step out, and admit based on reading Pride and prejudice... I like Hale better than Austen. I think Hale really captured the nerdy girl problem, and while not ground breaking the novel was heartfelt.

message 12: by Bree (last edited Apr 30, 2015 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bree Jennifer wrote: "At a booksigning for Austenland, author Shannon Hale mentioned in passing that die-hard Jane Austen fans "hate" her for writing this book. I am at a loss. I thought the book was delightful and th..."

I loved it, and I loved the movie too. She didn't smudge Pride and Prejudice in any form. Shannon is simply a fan of the story, and invented her own experience with the novel:)

Naomi I liked the idea of the story, but found the writing style to be a bit too juvenile for my taste. It's a rare book that I liked better as the movie.

Karen I just finished "Midnight in Austenland", which I have to say I liked better that the first book. Had a little more meat to the story.

Michelle I think perhaps die hard fans may dislike this book because they feel it shows them in a negative light. I am a Janeite and love this book however I have talked to others who felt the author was making fans of Austen seem like pathetic woman who pine away for the impossible. Again I dont agree but that is what I have heard. I love the movie too by the way even though it is much different.

Mochaspresso Jennifer wrote: "At a booksigning for Austenland, author Shannon Hale mentioned in passing that die-hard Jane Austen fans "hate" her for writing this book. I am at a loss. I thought the book was delightful and th..."

I loved the book, but I figured that it was because the main character of Austenland is a die hard Austen fan to the point of obsession. An obsession that is negatively impacting her life.