Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
This topic is about Mockingjay
Spoiler Talk on Books We've Read > What we thought about Mockingjay (and the trilogy)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments I was disappointed to see that author Suzanne Collins doesn't appear to have any other YA books to read as I did enjoy this trilogy. I delayed finishing Mockingjay until a year or so had passed between it and Catching Fire and was drawn right back into the story.
After the delay I was a bit taken aback by the level of some of the violence and cruelty, and the deaths, too many deaths of characters I didn't want lost.
The choices for so many were agonizing, but in the end
I thought Mockingjay had a great ending, a hopeful epilogue and a lot of food for thought.
(view spoiler)
I am glad to have read it.

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments This is undoubtedly one of the best trilogies I've read in a whole lot of years. I've got 2 sets of the books now. A nice boxed set that is just mine and the other 3 that have been lent out quite a few times and are starting to show some wear! I got the ending I wanted in MOCKINGJAY. Though I still think Josh Hutcherson is NOT Peeta and I don't see Peeta as him when I think about the books or talk about them with anyone! Coin was WAY dangerous, but unfortunately far too many leaders are like her.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments I had mixed feeling about this series but was very glad to have read it. I read almost no YA fiction (does Harry Potter count?) so don't know if the rules are different.

I will be spoilering like crazy in this post.

I found Mockingjay excruciating slow in the beginning; it really took time for me to get back in the swing, and it was only a couple of months earlier that I'd read Catching Fire. A couple of things to note for starters:

- I never quite got over the fact that Cinna was dead, kept expecting him to show up. Maybe in part because he was played by Lenny Kravitz in the movie...
- Like Ann I was surprised by the level of violence and gore in MJ. I found myself wondering how they were going to film this for a YA audience. And I was more than sad to lose some of Katniss' band of brothers/sisters.
- Do you think Haymitch knew what was going to happen when Katniss voted for the followup Games and he voted with her? I thought that was quite a leap. I did not see that coming AT ALL. I do have to give Collins credit for her plotting... much of the action took turns that surprised me.
- Have to agree with Melodie about the casting of Peeta. Josh Hutcherson did not match my mental pictures of him in the least. I also thought Gale was miscast--never thought of Gale as the male model type. Liam Hemsworth would have done better playing Finnick in my mind.
- Not sure where I came out on the Gale/Peeta issue (felt a little like Morelli/Ranger in the Stephanie Plum books) but I guess my disappointment with the outcome meant I was rooting for Gale all along, as the boy Katniss loved first. I was surprised that they both gave up so easily, although admittedly "the bomb thing" would have been hard to move past. (as an aside, didn't buy that Peeta and Katniss would sleep in the same bed for months--or was it weeks?-- with his arms wrapped around her with no fooling around ever occurring. That's where I wondered if this was one of the plot devices typical of YA fiction).
- I have to admit that I never quite bought Katniss loving either of them during the course of the books. This made her stand out as a character.. I find it is the rare female character who can't get in touch with her ability to be passionate romantically. Or maybe this is just the kind of books I gravitate toward.
- Listening to these made it a little hard to keep up with the political intrigue and that many characters, so at some point I'd like to go back and re-read the last half of Catching Fire and the first quarter of Mockingjay. Also, I never quite followed how Prim wound up in the Capital at the end. Maybe someone can explain.
More thoughts but I'll stop for now.. work calls!

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Montooth (andrewmontooth) Ladies: War sucks. I think Ms. Collins made that point clear. She didn't want us to like the ending. Remember she conceived this series while the US was still deeply mired in Iraq.

I'm glad she is not making a sequel at this time. This trilogy wrapped nicely and would end up like Rocky 16 (?) if she kept it going. No need for her to labor the point.

What made this series "real" was the odd way she managed the decisions that led to plot twists. Nothing went as expected. You never got that gratifying but arrogant "Victory!" emotion so common in thrillers. Why? Because there is no victory in war.

But what made the story work for me was Katniss. Here is a heroine who was not just another James Bond in drag. She was a true female hero, acting and reacting like a woman and not some roid-raging man in heels. There is a good relfection on what made Katniss different on Seeley James.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Andrew: Thanks for contributing! I totally got that Suzanne Collins wanted to show how horrific war and the actions of people who are power hungry can be. She did it very well.
I was hoping for a new book by this author, not a continuation. I agree it closed out the three books very well. I have lots more thoughts on that for another time when I have more (time)
I love Katniss's character, she is true female hero.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Carol: I will respond to your comments tonight - looking forward to spoilering like crazy with you!

message 7: by Melodie (last edited Jun 11, 2012 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments The thing with sleeping in the same bed and no sex...you find it every now and again, but in most of the YA I read, sex happens! If it didn't I wouldn't read it because it would NOT "ring" right for me. In my experience and what I know of my nieces anyway, teenagers have sex. Some don't, but most that I knew or know did.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Agreed Melodie! Thanks for the insight on the way many YA novels handle it. I haven't read enough YA to be able to assert a ratio, but it certainly does happen!
In this case with Katniss and Peeta at the end of the story, I took their chaste status as part of their healing, coming back from a numb existence for Kat particilarly and warming up and to each other over time.
Melodie wrote: "The thing with sleeping in the same bed and no sex...you find it every now and again, but in most of the YA I read, sex happens! If it didn't I wouldn't read it because it wouldn't "ring" right for m..."

Donnajo | 3588 comments I agree with melodie, from the YA books I've read and I seemed to have read more than usual lately. sex does happen. who would even expect me reading these books. I didn't even read YA books when I was a YA. LOL. okay maybe a few. but I wasn't much of a reader back then. anyway. I'm glad I read this trilogy and have to say enjoyed the first 2 books more than the last. but know you had to have the last one to complete the circle. I think I was more on gale's side than peeta's. but the ending of those two had me kind of at crossroads. I can see why she would have ended up with peeta over gale. again I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes out in dvd or cable. I wish I had my notes for the 1st two books still. it's weird the other group I'm in are reading the trilogy now so they are up to the 2nd one so I'm trying to comment and it's hard to remember and having read all 3 with Ann I have to say I got more out of it and I know she has mentioned it to me when one of us misses something the other catches or remember it.
I'll be back to comment more.

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Carol: I think Harry Potter does count! See below for my thoughts ... ;)
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I had mixed feeling about this series but was very glad to have read it. I read almost no YA fiction (does Harry Potter count?) so don't know if the rules are different.

- I never quite got over the fact that Cinna was dead, kept expecting him to show up. Maybe in part because he was played by Lenny Kravitz in the movie...
That makes sense, haven't seen the movie yet. Katniss would have agreed with you!

- Like Ann I was surprised by the level of violence and gore in MJ. I found myself wondering how they were going to film this for a YA audience. And I was more than sad to lose some of Katniss' band of brothers/sisters.
Carol - some of the losses just about killed me. I was really liking Boggs even before he promised Katniss he would keep her alive no matter what President Coin intended by sending Peeta to join the squad. That really endeared him to me. The chapters before 19 were a lull in the deaths and horror so this accidental stepping on a bomb was shocking. I also really hated she lost Finnick too

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: " - Do you think Haymitch knew what was going to happen when Katniss voted for the followup Games and he voted with her? I thought that was quite a leap. I think perhaps he did, or at the least trusted Katniss to have something in mind; Katniss was quite a tactician and I think Haymitch with all of his faults understood her well enough to side with her.
I did not see that coming AT ALL. I do have to give Collins credit for her plotting... much of the action took turns that surprised me. It surprised me too

- Not sure where I came out on the Gale/Peeta issue (felt a little like Morelli/Ranger in the Stephanie Plum books) but I guess my disappointment with the outcome meant I was rooting for Gale all along, as the boy Katniss loved first. I was surprised that they both gave up so easily, although admittedly "the bomb thing" would have been hard to move past.
I thought she was going to reject both of them, and with fairly good reason for both. The bomb thing was a big deal and I don't see how it would be something to get past since Katniss was against that type of bomb from the beginning, and Peeta was trying to kill her and had such venom and hatred Not to mention when Katniss wasn't thrilled with Gale's assertion that she would choose whichever of them "she couldn't survive without". It didn't strike me as a bad comment at first, but I see her point. It could be construed that they think she is cold and uncaring from that.
She is hurt by it and I don't blame her for her feelings. At that point I felt that the odds of it being all three of them surviving seemed so very slim. Perhaps that was cold, but so many people die in this book.

- I have to admit that I never quite bought Katniss loving either of them during the course of the books. This made her stand out as a character.. I find it is the rare female character who can't get in touch with her ability to be passionate romantically. Or maybe this is just the kind of books I gravitate toward.
It seems they couldn't buy it either, and I agree, she seemed above that sort of need with the desire to save Prim and her Mother paramount. I thought the desire to defeat her enemies in the Capital and avenge all of those killed in the games was too great.

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "- Listening to these made it a little hard to keep up with the political intrigue and that many characters, so at some point I'd like to go back and re-read the last half of Catching Fire and the first quarter of Mockingjay. I did Mockingjay on Kindle which helped a lot. Agree that an audio sometimes takes you right past political intrigue. Donna Jo is right, we sometimes helped each other catch nuances as we commented on each chapter

Also, I never quite followed how Prim wound up in the Capital at the end. Maybe someone can explain.
I was surprised at her arrival right in front of Katniss at the front, but thought it was connected to two things, her interest in and plans to study medicine, and more so I chalked it up to Coin's machinations to leverage that with an assignment in harm's way to hurt Kat. .

Donnajo | 3588 comments I was always hoping Cinnia would show up that he was alive and just they had him hidden. especially when the clothes came for kat

I really like finnick. wasn't crazy about haymitch from the start.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Donnajo wrote: "
I really like finnick. wasn't crazy about haymitch from the start. ."

I agree with you, DJ. Finnick grew on me, and I was deeply saddened for Annie when he bit the dust. I wasn't crazy about Haymitch either, could never reconcile with his alcoholism, but I felt better about him after he helped Katniss in the first Games by sending her stuff. And he did seem to know what he was doing, so after a time even though I didn't like some of the things he did I accepted him as an ally of Katniss's. I'll give Collins another credit; she knew how to create unlikeable characters that you still wanted to follow and see how they showed up next.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Ann wrote: "Carol - some of the losses just about killed me. I was really liking Boggs even before he promised Katniss he would keep her alive no matter what President Coin intended by sending Peeta to join the squad. That really endeared him to me. The chapters before 19 were a lull in the deaths and horror so this accidental stepping on a bomb was shocking. I also really hated she lost Finnick too ..."

Ann, I'll answer more when I have time but I have to say "Yes!" to this. I couldn't believe what happened to Boggs, I really wanted Katniss to have an ally in that situation and it seemed so cruel. And Finnick, and, well, you know.

Donnajo | 3588 comments I forgot about Boggs I liked him too.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments @Ann: I agree that Katniss was quite the tactician. And she didn't seem to realize it, despite her confidence in herself in other areas. When Boggs gave her the she didn't think she deserved it. Or maybe she was in denial about his fate.

And re: Peeta v Gale, I also wondered at some point whether she might wind up going on alone, because she really didn't seem clearly passionate about either. But I found her statement about not needing Gale's fire because she had enough fire herself made sense for where she was after all of the war she had waged.

message 18: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Carol: I agree, Katniss seemed to sum up the parting with Gale rather well with her comments about the mismatch of both of their personal fires.
In retrospect now I think the possibility of a life with Gale was lost the moment Prim was first selected for the Hunger Game. That was when Kat's fire to survive and support her family in concert with Gale was repurposed and they started to move apart irretrievedly.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "@Ann: I agree that Katniss was quite the tactician. And she didn't seem to realize it, despite her confidence in herself in other areas. When Boggs gave her the she didn't think she deserved it.....And re: Peeta v Gale, I also wondered at some point whether she might wind up going on alone, because she really didn't seem clearly passionate about either. But I found her statement about not needing Gale's fire because she had enough fire herself made sense for where she was after all of the war she had waged. ."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Ann wrote: "In retrospect now I think the possibility of a life with Gale was lost the moment Prim was first selected for the Hunger Game. That was when Kat's fire to survive and support her family in concert with Gale was repurposed and they started to move apart irretrievedly. .."

Hmm, I'll have to ponder this, Ann...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Catching Fire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Suzanne Collins (other topics)