Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Non Sequiter - Hearing Snippets of Conversation?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Markosaurus (new)

Markosaurus Fisticuffs (markosaurusfisticuffs) | 1 comments Have you ever been walking down the street and caught just a snippet (one line or two) of a conversation that seemed completely random? ie "and the pig was wearing pajamas, you know, the ones that have the feet built-in" In reality, it probably followed a rational line of thought, but to you it was the perfect non-sequiter. Well I heard one today and want to compile a list of them for use on a rainy day... well maybe not, but I'll find a use for them.

My non sequiter while walking through my company's atrium:
"yeah they have some really nice recyclable bags, in zebra even."

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) I heard this in a diner on the way back from Chicago at 2 in the morning: "I said it was because I had to stay home and give my cat shots for his diabetes."

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Reading through some of these discussions it sometimes feels like I am listening in on peoples conversations.

message 4: by Matt (last edited Jan 08, 2009 07:11AM) (new)

Matt | 819 comments Lived in an apartment a few years back where by bedroom faced a busy street and my old stereo would sometimes pick up bits of cell phone conversations. One morning I awoke to a gravelly voiced woman saying "Mmm hmm, just like when your husband is a mechanic, and then you're the last one to get your car fixed."

shellyindallas re: Msg 2: My cat used to have diabetes (he is in remission) and had to have shots of insulin every 12 hours. I used to use this as an excuse to dip out of places early, or just stay home.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments I think I will do this to someone else so they can have a good story. While holding my cell phone in a crowded public place I will say something like:

"You shove two of em in the blender...sure, shaved of course....yup, and then add nutmeg, half of a bloodfruit peeled and puree. It'll be loud at first but they'll quiet down..."

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) LOL
I'd give money to see the faces of those near u :)

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
Oh, the bloodfruit makes another appearance. If I ever meet you, Kevin, I'll bring mimosas made with blood oranges.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 08, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. Kevin....just don't do it in an airport...

I was once in a bar when a drunk woman starting screaming "You said you were going to buy me a Shitzu!" over and over again at the guy she was with.

That became a tag line for my friends for a long time.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah sally, i used bloodfruit just for you as i had never heard of it before.

RA - that is the BEST i have heard so far. i am laughing now as i am saying it again out loud. i would say back firmly "no, i told you that you were full of ****"

message 11: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I don't pick up other people's conversations. I have enough trouble with the voices in my head.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments When I worked on the assignment desk in news, I always got a kick out of listening in on all the scanner chatter. I knew my friend's home had been broken into before the police showed up at his house. I also knew when someone I knew was pulled over by the police... or when someone's house was on fire. I felt like a bit of a snoop.

Not only that, when I'd be in the producer's/director's booth for any reason, listening in on the headset chatter was also always a hoot. Dirty jokes or your mama jokes at 5 in the morning are an effective wake-me-up.

message 13: by Kevin (last edited Jan 08, 2009 01:46PM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments a few years back when the bluetooth style earpiece things were brand spankin' new i was in a restroom in an airport standing at a urinal when a guy walks up and stands at the urinal next to me. he goes "HEY, how's it going buddy? What's shakin?" as most any talking at the urinal is considered taboo for most guys i am thinking "what the heck?" so after a very pregnant pause i start to go "not much i guess" (thinking this is possibly a bad answer to his query) and then right before i say it he goes on with his real conversation in the bluetooth thing. whew, almost proved i was an idiot. very strange

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dreamelis) | 53 comments This is one of my favorite stories and ever since it happened I've been meaning to try this and still have't, after all these years.

I was walking down the sidewalk of a little strip mall thing, and two guys walked past each other and as they did, one said, "Coffee?" and the other said, "Tea."

True story.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
The sad thing is that now you have to assume everyone walking down the street talking to themselves is actually on the phone. But 20% of them are probably schizophrenic.

Even when someone appears to be addressing you, chances are better than average they are just on the phone.

message 16: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I overheard a woman outside the courthouse today, telling her mom about her SO's sentencing.

"And he yelled to me that we needed the money, he did it all for us!"

message 17: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 488 comments I was walking to the library the other day and I passed a woman who was saying very loudly on her phone, "Well what's a little nudity between the in-laws?"

message 18: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 125 comments I passed a co-worker, a woman in her sixties talking on the phone, and overheard this: "Uh-huh. Yes. Vulva."

message 19: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 195 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Even when someone appears to be addressing you, chances are better than average they are just on the phone."

I have had that situation once with the lady at the front desk at a business partner's office. She was wearing a headset and answering calls, and twice I was absolutely certain that she was talking to me, but she wasn't. And, of course, when she finally was adressing me, it took me quite a while to realize.

message 20: by Harry (new)

Harry  (harry_harry) | 226 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "The sad thing is that now you have to assume everyone walking down the street talking to themselves is actually on the phone. But 20% of them are probably schizophrenic.."

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this, but it cracks me up everytime.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Cell Phones

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

No idea what it means, but I like it.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

It's better than the snippet I overheard yesterday. Four boys, ages 12-13 I'm guessing, strutting down the sidewalk. One made a rhyme about hos and something that rhymes with hos, I can't remember what. His friend said, "You ain't GOT NO HO!"

message 23: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments Uh yes, I hear this all the time at med campus. I heard once that some student said that she found it disgusting that she had to model a vagina, yep people are asexual. APPARENTLY. It makes me so sad that people still think like they're in the Victorian Era. [image error]

message 24: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 369 comments

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.