The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hello from the Laurentians.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by marie (last edited Jan 07, 2009 10:12PM) (new)

marie Hello all.. In lieu of a local book club.. (does not exist in my corner of the world where English is a foreign language) I am delighted to find this group! I've gotten hooked again lately on reading and keep adding to my list. Have about 10 pages left of The White Tiger and then I am determined to finish Middlesex which for some reason I have been trying to slog through for about a year! (read many other things between.)

If I get the gist of it, there are two current books being read by the group. (?) Jonathan Strange and Guernsey. Not sure about a deadline but I am ordering both of them as the descriptions are appealing to me.
Looking forward to some good discussions!!!

message 2: by Petra-X (new)

Petra-X (mona-lisa-with-eggs) Hi there! Gee you must live in a very isolated place. I live on a little island of about 14K people and we have bookclubs.

I want to read White Tiger, I've just ordered it.

message 3: by marie (new)

marie Petra X wrote: "Hi there! Gee you must live in a very isolated place. I live on a little island of about 14K people and we have bookclubs.

I want to read White Tiger, I've just ordered it."

Hi Petra. There probably are book clubs but I have no idea how to find them. This area is about 95% French speaking. I want an English language book club.

message 4: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Marie, welcome! Happy reading!

(I know what you mean about the book clubs. I live in Rome, where there are probably millions of English speakers, but I haven't been able to find a face to face book club in English.)

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments Welcome ... I wouldn't worry about the deadline too much - Gursney is a fast read - and I'm sure we will be talking about January reads past January. Norrell & Strange is a long read and I'm sure many people won't finish it on time.

Again good to have you along!

message 6: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments HI Marie, Welcome to the group!!!

message 7: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9863 comments Mod
Hi Marie,
you are correct about the group reads, we read them for the whole month, but lots of members end up picking them up late, so whenever you get to them is fine. I leave the threads for the group reads open, so you can always hop in them and discuss away!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Welcome Marie!

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Welcome to the group!

message 10: by marie (new)

marie Wow thank you everyone for the welcome!
Well I ended up not ordering Jonathan Strange.

Instead I ordered Guernsey (I liked the little video amazon has on it) and The Time Traveler's Wife.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Welcome Marie! I have Guernsey on hold at my library - but looking doubtful I'll get it this month.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

A big hello & welcome to the group!