College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Uglies: Progress

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) How is everyone doing with the book? Are you liking it?

message 2: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I finished it already. It was a pretty quick, easy read and I am curious to see what happens next.

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I am about half way through. So far it is okay. Kind of reminds me in bits about The Host. Anyone else see the similarity?

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I finished it and I'm on to Pretties. Like Franzz said, it was a very quick and easy read. It held my attention and was a good story.

message 5: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Has anybody else read Pretties? I finished it and didn't like it that much. I bought Specials too, but I'm not sure if I even want to read it...

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
i haven't read Pretties..and i'm not sure if i'm going to..i mean..Uglies was ok..but i didn't like it enough to want to keep going with the series..i figure i have SO many other books that i want to read..why read something i don't really want to read that much..

message 7: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) Wow, Pretties was that bad, Kelsey? I just got my copy from the library and have only read a chapter or two. However, their slang already irks me and makes me want to jump into the pages and strangle them.

message 8: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I have read all 4, they were okay, but not great or even close to wonderful. I would really like to discuss the 3rd book and a major beef I had with it, so if anyone else gets that far, let me know.

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha yep. Tallywa? What was that all about? Yeah, I was just really disappointed with Pretties. It wasn't nearly as good as Uglies. And it seems to me that the author keeps using the same formula for every book, if that makes sense. I would explain more, but I don't want to ruin it for those of us that haven't read it yet...

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) It sounds like some of you aren't enjoying the Uglies series. Would you like to stop this series and chose a different series? I don't want you to read something you aren't enjoying.

message 11: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I probably won't have time to read another series for the next few months, but I am game to try it later, if you all decide to stop this one.

In defense of the series, I enjoyed the last book the most. The Extras. I don't know if it was better, but it was more entertaining to me.

message 12: by Kelsey (last edited Jan 22, 2009 04:36PM) (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Hmm. So there may be hope after all.
Ashley, I didn't mean to suggest that we should all quit reading the series. It's completely fine if everybody wants to continue with it. I've got a humongous list of books that I need to read, so I'll be busy regardless! =)

message 13: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I would like to finished it. I hate not finishing things i've started!!

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Ok. No Problem :)

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison | 179 comments Well, I just read this book for a task in the reading challenge. I thought it was alright but not too exciting. I may read the next books if they fit with a challenge task in the future, but I would be okay if I never finished the series.

message 16: by Haley (new)

Haley (xbibliobibulix) | 42 comments I re-read this book for the reading challenge and also because I am writing my undergraduate thesis on this trilogy. I love these books despite their flaws and think they fit into the YA dystopian genre before it even really existed. I am writing my thesis on how, although much of the book centers around external conflicts. The internal conflicts are mirrored by the actions of the characters and situations they find themselves in. This is something that is very relevant in the genre with internal issues (like guilt, Katniss! or revenge, Tris!) being so important to the development of the main characters. Though I am focusing on this series for my thesis, because I believe that it serves as a precursor performing many of them moves that other YA dystopian authors are credited for before they even wrote, I am planning on expanding my thesis into a larger book/masters thesis encompassing many different YA dystopian trilogies but I am only allowed 20-30 pages for this thesis so I have to narrow. If anyone is interested I'll post my thesis when it is finished. I'd also be interested to ask if anyone has read or re-read this book more recently, after the rise of the dystopian genre and has any opinions on and it's place and whether or not they liked it more now that they have read other books in the genre.