Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

A Pemberley Medley
This topic is about A Pemberley Medley
Book Issues > Kinde edition query

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shy (roseofskye) | 15 comments Ok, I have yet to work up the courage to exercise my Librarian status, though I suspect when I restart cataloguing my own library I will have lots of opportunities. But I was adding a book today after a reading hiatus and came across two Kindle editions for this book with different ASIN numbers with the same publication date. Now, I have actually purchased the kindle version (ASIN B0069TPCQ8, the one that doesn't have ac over currently). If I search Amazon for the other ASIN number (B004UHOJAG) I get no results. However, if I google that ASIN, I do get an Amazon link which takes me to this page:

http://www.amazon.com/A-Pemberley-Med...

But if you actually try to click on the book, it says the page is not available.

My first thought was to combine these editions keeping the B0069TPCQ8 ASIN one that shows up on Amazon, but I was afraid to take the first plunge in case I was wrong - is it possible that Amazon has re-issued the book with a new ASIN number and deleted the earlier version from their website? How would I know that? I'm fairly new to the ebook world and decided to post my query here for the opinion of more experienced Librarians!

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Yes - it is possible to have two kindle editions for the reason you describe. Also different countries may have different ASIN's

The books are combined correctly, they do not need to be merged (deleted).

It is better to leave editions with ASIN's/ ISBN's if unsure rather than merge (delete)

message 3: by Shy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shy (roseofskye) | 15 comments Well there you go, I'm glad I asked. I knew ISBNs are often reused but I didn't know if it applied to ASINs, especially when the publication date was identical. Just going to add a cover picture to the one I purchased.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments Shy wrote: "I knew ISBNs are often reused but I didn't know if it applied to ASINs, especially when the publication date was identical."

Actually, the release dates on GR say "first published March 28, 2011" - that means when the title was first released in any format (in this case, the paperback). Neither Kindle editions on GR have an entry for that particular edition's release date. On Amazon, the publisher are claiming the current Kindle edition was put out Nov 17, 2011 but that could be the date it was first made available on Kindle which would have been the now deleted version.

This brings me to the point that Kindle books don't really seem to have reliable release dates. Publishers don't seem concerned with them being accurate. Digital files are just so fluid since they are so easy to produce and update that it doesn't seem worth it to note when they are updated.

I also see a lot of incorrect Kindle release dates on back catalogues. If a title was first published before Kindle existed or before it became very popular (and thus before it was the norm for new releases to have a Kindle or ebook edition), it's not unusual for it to be added to Kindle recently yet have a release date the same as the original title release.

Take this one, for example: http://www.amazon.com/Death-Comes-Epi... - the release date says January 5, 2002 but because it was on my "watch list" at ereaderiq.com, I know it was not actually added to Kindle until April 27, 2012. Very misleading but the publisher doesn't seem to care.

That's a different case from an updated Kindle edition having the same release date as a former and now deleted Kindle edition but the point is, sometimes, it's anyone's guess when that particular digital file was added to the Kindle store.

message 5: by Shy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shy (roseofskye) | 15 comments This is just designed to drive anyone with OCD about organisation crazy, isn't it. Trying to put order on an untidy world... :)

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments LOL, yes. :)

But when in doubt, I just leave details blank. Let someone else figure it out, lol.