The Grapes of Wrath/The Moon is Down/Cannery Row/East of Eden/Of Mice & Men The Grapes of Wrath/The Moon is Down/Cannery Row/East of Eden/Of Mice & Men discussion

A very intersting book

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda i thought it was a very good book i just thought it was very rude how they didnt have respect for old people they treated them like they werent even worth being alive. Lennie was a very good kid besides him being slow he knew how to work around others and sometimes had more work done it was very sad and also geogre treated Lennie very bad when lennie really loved him alot and cared about him

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I don't think Steinbeck wanted to the reader to see George as treating Lennie badly. He looked out for him. It was hard to do, and caused a lot of difficulties for George. If you mean the ending, it WAS incredibly sad, but better than Lennie spending the rest of his life in prison. He would have been so much more miserable and poorly treated than the average convict. At the time the book was written, I don't think any special care would have been granted Lennie, due to his mental deficiencies. You are supposed to see the love and devotion George showed by doing something that broke his heart.