Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > Thomas Boleyn: a double edged sword or simply a scoundrel?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments This is most likely a naive question and most probably inaccurate historically, but did Thomas Boleyn play a role in bringing down Anne and George? If so, what possibly was his motivation?

Please forgive me if I have placed this inquiry in the incorrect folder. I am still learning to navigate!

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 69 comments Trying to save his own neck, probably.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1911 comments That seems the most likely motive to me, too, Mary.

message 4: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Thank you for the posts! What a creep! I try not to view historical figures with 21st century eyes but it's a real challenge when it comes to him.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 77 comments I agree with Mary and Susanna. I think this man would do anything(and obviously did!) for power!!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 69 comments I don't think he was unusual for his time. He was ambitious, came from the lesser nobility. But he saw his children, as did most of the nobility, as pawns to be used to increase the family power and wealth. Their happiness was not an issue.

message 7: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Thank you all for the insightful posts. You have given me much to ponder.

Perhaps this next question is ridiculously naive but shouldn't the same "they are here to be used for my benefit" (good, bad or otherwise) be applicable to wives? If so, why does Henry 8 get such a horrible rep? In the end, wasn't he trying to secure his line? Okay, he did many devious things---most rulers do, arguably, and I do realize that I am speaking in sweeping generalizations and just rambling out loud so full stop here. The wheels are spinning, nonetheless..,

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kennedy | 51 comments I don't think it's a naive question, but it's so complicated! Wives--and husbands too--were often used for social climbing. It wasn't uncommon for a commoner with new money to marry into a noble family down on its finances so that the joined families could both benefit. It wasn't completely unheard of for men to take their wives' names, either, if the name needed preserving. I think it was called "patrilineal repair." Not too far off what Philip had to agree to when he married Mary Tudor (though it didn't work). At the same time, there are lots of letters that show real affection and friendship between spouses. And of course there were horrible people who just used whoever they came into contact with, including spouses and family members. I think Henry got a bad reputation among his peers because his behavior came to seem reckless.

message 9: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Thank you, Sarah. You have given me much to consider. I have always admired Henry VIII---much to the astonishment of colleagues, friends and the English side of my family. I do agree with you that the question(s) is complicated but in the end, I have always seen him as a caged animal. Perhaps the cage was golden but a cage, nonetheless. His behaviour often appears animalistic whilst at other times, he is tame, tranquil and loving.