The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver question

Is It Right?
E.E. E.E. Jun 08, 2012 01:05PM
No pain. But as the saying goes, no pain no gain. I don't agree with the no color. But no pain? No difficult descisions... ever? It is definitely something to think about. No love, no hope. Just live and release. It is called perfect, but it isn't. Do you think a world without color is perfect? Would a place of no pain feel right to you? Think really hard and carefully about this.

We can't miss what we don't have. So they don't know they are lacking in life. I think part of the controls in "The Giver" society is the sharing of feelings they have every night. If they get these petty annoyances and grievances off their chest it can't build up into a revolt against the governing body.

So you read the book. Go along this emotional journey of seeing a world with basically lets face it nothing. And you are still asking if the Community's way is the right way? You read the book??????

The world Lois Lowry created in this novel is impossible simply because we were created with and always supposed to have choice and free will. What I enjoyed about this novel was the contrast between a world that many people long for--where choices are made for them and there is no want or pain--and our world. The fact is, our world comes out on top. It is easy sometimes, in the midst of pain and regret about a choice we made that was wrong, to think that a world like that in "The Giver" might be better or easier. But it isn't. Because there is no love or joy or freedom, none of which you can have without choice.

Choice is the price of joy, love, and all that is true and good. My favorite part of this book is that it reminds us of this and reminds me, for one, that the price is worth it. And so maybe we can all better appreciate the world we live in after reading this book.

This to me seems almost like world war two,but very different at the same time, when by trying to help people they are really just hurting them and they don't know it. They think it is for the greater good, kind of like how Hitler thought what he was doing was for the greater good.

That is why this book is a dystopia and not a utopia. The author had that in mind when she wrote it....I only know this because I heard a lecture she gave. It was made to make the reader think about what the would be willing to give up to have a "better" society and whether it would be better if so much had to be given up. I recommend reading Fahrenheit 451 as well by Ray Bradbury....in the same live as The Giver and one of the best sci-fi books out there.

These were some of the issues in the book that struck me deeply. If we grew up without color, as the characters did, would we miss it? Well, in some way we might be aware that something is wrong...but we wouldn't know to miss it.
Or would we even be aware that something was out of kilter? Perhaps we would simply shrug and say, "That's the way of the world."
I don't know.

Remo Do you miss all the perceptions which you are not aware of right now?
Maybe there are other things than what you can see or hear, but you just grew up
...more
Jul 26, 2012 03:25AM · flag

To be able to feel or understand love, beauty, and all those great things, we must feel and understand the opposite. In another words, we need dualism.

This book made me appreciate the free will, colour, love, pain, emotions, we have in life. I loved this book but it scared me deeply when I read it. I can not imagine a world void of colour and emotions. It scares the crap out of me.

I have been wondering whether utopian societies are more dystopian than actually utopian. I am sure to the citizens of utopian societies, it would be perfect, but to those outside looking in, it seems terrible.
A life without color would be boring. And what is life without pain, sorrow, or difficult decisions? It is how we learn and improve ourselves. People in The Giver's society do not know of any other world, so to them, ignorance is bliss.
It may not seem right to us, the readers, because we do not have such restrictions are rules in our society (in America at least).
To me, utopian societies are flawed in one way or another.

ϟEvelynϟ (last edited Jul 07, 2012 02:19PM ) Jul 04, 2012 08:32PM   0 votes
I love this book because it made me realize how inconsiderate we are of things. It made me see all the wonderful things I had in life that I thought I would never lose. Then all these things the community didn't have and that just amazed me. No color? No pain? No love? No free will? Then, I think, I would just emotionally destroy myself if I didn't have any of those things that makes life wonderful. But really, they had no idea these things were withdrawn from their cookie-cutter lives(until the end). They don't know there's color, they don't know there's love, they don't know there's no pain, etc. How could they possibly know? The knowing that they are missing out is what kills me. I don't know why they would take away all of these things that complete life. I imagine all the chaos that was created once Jonas left the community. I just hated the ambiguous ending. I will never come to an agreement with myself whether Jonas lived or died.

Janet Hi Evelyn, if you want to know about Jonas, read the other books. This is a series of 4. The last one comes out in October. Giver is the best so far b ...more
Jul 19, 2012 08:06AM · flag