Pulp Fiction discussion

Prolific Authors > Robert B. Parker

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 13 comments At present one of the books that I am reading is 'Cold Service' and as always I was hooked from the start. I thought since he died recently I would dust off some of his Spencer and Messieurs Stone novels.

message 2: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 102 comments His earliest books are probably the best. The later ones seemed a little phoned in, in my opinion. Plus, Susan Silverman (Spenser's girlfriend) is probably the most intolerable character in all of detective fiction. His best unwritten plot would be for her to disappear, and that Spenser and Hawk never go looking for her.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 13 comments Ah but it is true his earlier stuff is better. But I still liked his later novels. The one that I am reading now is an case in point. I will let you all know more when see how Spencer and Hawk get even, and how it goes with (shock) Hawk's girlfriend.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard Farnsworth | 4 comments I really enjoy Parker books.

I agree that his Spencer books get a little formulaic the further into the series you read, but always enjoyable. Stone was a little tighter, but again, he set the chracter and tone early and carried it through. I thought that in the Sunny Randall books he tried a little harder, given that a manly man like him was writing from a woman's perspective.

And lastly were the Apaloosa books. Spencer as the sidekick to a tight-lipped gun hand in the old west. I felt guilty that I liked them so much.
The follow up last book (finished by someone else) was like a parody of the rest, I guess that's what we have to look forward to as the 'estate' publishes more Spencer and Stone books.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 13 comments King also makes me think he is paid by the word and why describe someone or something in 50 words when you can astound your readers with your vocabulary in say 5000?

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 440 comments Sam wrote: "King also makes me think he is paid by the word and why describe someone or something in 50 words when you can astound your readers with your vocabulary in say 5000?"

Agreed. Well put.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 13 comments I just finished 'Cold Service's and was real disappointment.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 13 comments What I like about the Messieurs Stone books is that he is vulnerable at times, and have times that I can visualize someone that is trying to do his job amongst a bunch of good ole boys that he does not belong to. Although that could be shades of made for tv movies.

message 9: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 35 comments Ive read every Spenser book that Parker wrote and the earlier ones were the best.The later ones were all the same and I really got sick and tired of the annoying Susan Silverman! I wish he had dumped her and went back to the blond in the first couple of books.

message 10: by Col (last edited Jan 30, 2013 07:48AM) (new)

Col (col2910) | 487 comments Dennis wrote: "Ive read every Spenser book that Parker wrote and the earlier ones were the best.The later ones were all the same and I really got sick and tired of the annoying Susan Silverman! I wish he had dum..."

I knocked Parker on the head after about 19 or 20 of them, maybe in the early 90's. They started off smart and funny, but by this point were just irritating - I kept wanting Hawk to give him a bitch-slap and show him who the daddy was, which was never going to happen.

I think it's kind of inevitable with every character series that seems to go on and on and on.... James Lee Burke and Robicheaux spring to mind.... too many books, and they start becoming caricatures and unbelievable.

Michael Connelly and his excellent Harry Bosch books seem to be heading down the same slippery slope in my opinion.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 13 comments I have to agree about Silverman and Spencer. She was a pain in the ass. And yes, Hawk should have put him straight. Parker should have written more Jessie Stone.

message 12: by Cathy (last edited Mar 10, 2013 06:34AM) (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments Col wrote: "Dennis wrote: "Ive read every Spenser book that Parker wrote and the earlier ones were the best.The later ones were all the same and I really got sick and tired of the annoying Susan Silverman! I ..."

Col: bitch-slap? PDF.

Agree with your comments after reading so many books, inevitably they become caricatures of themself. Well put. Saw the same thing in Randy Wayne White's Doc Ford series. Put down Chasing Darkness and haven't one after that.

Too bad because we really feel invested in these guys.

Sorry to hear that about Harry...reading in series order and about #14 m/l with Spenser (and hate Silverman, too, agreeing with Sam) and #8 or so with Bosch.

Really enjoy Dick Francis and he's got a new character each book as far as I've read. Might be the way to go but I love 'taking the ride' watching a character develop. Ultimately, based on what's said here, to collapse.

message 13: by Col (last edited Mar 11, 2013 05:51AM) (new)

Col (col2910) | 487 comments Cathy wrote: "Col wrote: "Dennis wrote: "Ive read every Spenser book that Parker wrote and the earlier ones were the best.The later ones were all the same and I really got sick and tired of the annoying Susan S..."

Dick Francis - never read him, but saw something on another blog somewhere recommending him. He's won a few awards in his time for his writing, 1 or 2 Edgars, a couple of CWA Daggers - so I probably dismissed him unfairly, I've acquired a load recently - charity shop bargain hunting - I'll try him soon.

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments Col wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Col wrote: "Dennis wrote: "Ive read every Spenser book that Parker wrote and the earlier ones were the best.The later ones were all the same and I really got sick and tired of the an..."

Col: He's from Wales and very, very good. Good intriguing mysteries and usually involving the races/horses. Franics (my g-mother's maiden name BTW) was a jockey before he began writing. I should say excellent mysteries and just got away from reading him...should go back soon, I have some on shelf.

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments Col wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Col wrote: "Dennis wrote: "Ive read every Spenser book that Parker wrote and the earlier ones were the best.The later ones were all the same and I really got sick and tired of the an..."

Col: Ahhh, a hunter of bargains! The best read ever is one that's great and costs 50 cents with torn cover, dog eared pages and all. Words are still the same and saved money to buy more books.

And can't go wrong with Dick Francis. Never seen a DF book I didn't love.

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 13 comments Dick Francis is an excellent author and having it be in an racetrack setting has not been done much is any before.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 440 comments Francis is one of the few authors that actually seems to understand horses enough to be able to write about them in an action/mystery setting. It's one reason I can't stand most westerns & have had to grit my teeth through far too many fantasies.

message 18: by Col (new)

Col (col2910) | 487 comments I managed to track down a load of his book in the past few weeks - about 30-odd in a charity shop for less than a tenner. I'll give him a go next month - 1 a month for the next 3 years or so, if he's any good!

Nothing lost if I don't enjoy the first one.

message 19: by Cathy (last edited Mar 21, 2013 03:48AM) (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments Col wrote: "I managed to track down a load of his book in the past few weeks - about 30-odd in a charity shop for less than a tenner. I'll give him a go next month - 1 a month for the next 3 years or so, if h..."

With a promise, almost, you will enjoy it unless, by chance, you pick out a dud which I doubt he wrote one. We want to know how MUCH you enjoy Dick Francis.

message 20: by Col (new)

Col (col2910) | 487 comments Cathy wrote: "Col wrote: "I managed to track down a load of his book in the past few weeks - about 30-odd in a charity shop for less than a tenner. I'll give him a go next month - 1 a month for the next 3 years..."

Hiya Cathy - 1 a month from April, I promise!
Cheers for the map - I'll send a message later, back to work now.

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 215 comments No worries, no promises, Col. Do what you like, my friend!

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 13 comments Col,, that's great. Please let us know.