Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > 2nd Year Librarian Adding Complex Text

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena (biblio_phi_l) Hi all! I'm a second year librarian working for DC Public Schools, and I'm curious as to how I can incorporate complext text into my library instruction.

I figured I'd start by introducing readings outside of what they are accustomed too, then have them complete brief constructive responses based on what they think the author is getting at. The only thing is-- that's all I've got for now. I'm certain there are more effective ways. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and, more than likely, incorporated.

Lena

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena (biblio_phi_l) Also, I try to keep up with librarians on twitter for sharing ideas. Please, if you have a twitter, would you mind leaving it so that I can add you? Thanks!

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments You will find that the majority of GR Librarians are not real life librarians just readers.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena (biblio_phi_l) Thanks for the heads up Paula. I'm just trying to take as many avenues as I can to reach my goals for next school year.

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Hi Lena! I'm in the neighborhood, I live in northern VA, right outside the beltway. = )
Anyways, this is a 'librarians' group only in the sense that it is for those users like myself who have taken on tasks in cleaning up the book records in GR.
I know there are a lot of IRL librarians on GR, maybe there is an actual group for them already (or you can make one), where you'll get some good feedback on your question. I think most of us GR librarians are not IRL librarians though. (I work in human resources, for example.)

message 7: by Lena (new)

Lena (biblio_phi_l) Thanks! I went a-searchin' myself and found a School Librarians and Teachers pg. I appreciate ya'll. Take care.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellereid) | 1 comments http://lmnet.wordpress.com/

Lena, I don't know if you're part of the listserve I posted just above, but I am and it's a great place for questions like the one you posted. It's for school librarians. I have found tons of great info on it.
Good luck!
Michelle