Erudite Readers discussion

Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)
This topic is about Born at Midnight
Author Interviews! > Shadow Falls Interview!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karina (last edited Jun 07, 2012 08:49PM) (new)

Karina So much positive praise for this series. What are your thoughts or comments?

Exciting news: We've recently discovered that C.C Hunter will be joining us for an interview!! Im sure there is a bunch of questions you are dying to know the answer to So ask away (:

message 2: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (scottreadsit) | 5707 comments Mod
How did you get the idea for Shadow Falls?

Cupcake Bookworm (cupcakebookworm) Karina wrote: "So much positive praise for this series. What are your thoughts or comments?

Exciting news: We've recently found out that C.C Hunter will be willing to have an interview with us!! Im sure there is..."

i just read it, and its really good...kinda cliched (how do u spell it?), but good...

message 4: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cupcake Bookworm wrote: "Karina wrote: "So much positive praise for this series. What are your thoughts or comments?

Exciting news: We've recently found out that C.C Hunter will be willing to have an interview with us!! I..."

Do you have any questions for C.C. Hunter?

message 5: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Will Sara visit Shadow Falls again?

message 6: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay How did you come up with the titles for the books?

Bron How did you come up with the idea for the storyline and characters of Shadow falls?

Bron What age did you start writing?

message 9: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great Questions!

message 10: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michele C (mcgxo95) | 4897 comments Mod
Did you always want to be a writer if not please tell us what career you had in mind when younger?

message 11: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will there ever be a movie for shadow falls?

message 12: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think we have enough questions!

message 13: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott wrote: "I think we have enough questions!"

Did you send it?

message 14: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 4 stars

Interview Questions for Scott Pilgrim

1. How did you get the idea for Shadow Falls?

C.C.: First, thank you so much for having me visit your blog. Bloggers have a special place in my heart. Now, to answer your question . . .

I love talking about how I got the idea for my Shadow Falls series. It’s really a funny story, too, and one I never tire of telling. You see, the idea of the paranormal summer camp actually came from my editor Rose Hilliard at St. Martin's Press/Griffin. And that's all she said to me, too—"paranormal camp." She expected me to come up with the rest. But you know what? Those two words were enough to get my imagination going. Once I got Kylie figured out, the rest of the characters sprang to life, and each of them brought a piece of the plotline with them. Now, I’ll be honest. When I started Born at Midnight, the first book in the Shadow Falls series, I had no idea how the story would end. And now that I’m starting the final book, XX, I still have no idea which boy Kylie will end up with or what will ultimately happen to her and her friends at Shadow Falls Camp/Academy. But that’s okay. That’s how my writing process works—I learn the specifics of the book as I write it. And you know what? I think that’s why I love writing so much—I love finding out how the story ends, right along with my characters.

2. What was your inspiration for Sara? Will she return to Shadow Falls?

C.C.: Thanks for asking about Sara. She’s one of my favorite non-supernatural Shadow Falls characters. As I did for a lot of the characters in my books, Sara is based on a composite of teenage girls I knew when I was growing up. I had several good friends who made mistakes with boys, much the way Sara did. It’s hard at that age, when everybody’s hormones are off the chart, and it’s especially hard for a girl who really only wants to be loved. She can get herself into situations that she’s not ready for, emotionally, and she can get hurt.

As for whether Sara will return to Shadow Falls, I honestly don't know. As I said earlier, I don’t know the details of a book before I write it. I'm getting ready to start XX, the last book in the series so it's always possible she might make an appearance.

3. How did you come up with the titles for the books?

C.C.: When I started writing Born at Midnight, the first book in the Shadow Falls series, my editor and I tossed around a lot of ideas for titles. We wanted a theme to the titles, something that we could use for the entire series. Because part of the plot involved how the paranormals at camp were all born at midnight, we decided to go with that for the first book. Then, we worked on titles that followed that trend for the books that ensued, with each one referencing a time of day.

4. How did you come up with the idea for the storyline and characters of Shadow falls?

C.C.: Like I said before, the basic idea for the books came from my editor with the words “paranormal camp.” After my imagination started kicking in, the characters and basic storyline fell into place. Because it was a young adult, I started thinking about what I felt, thought and experienced when I was sixteen, Kylie's age in the book. You see, I’m what we authors call a character-driven writer, meaning a story doesn’t come to life for me until I have my characters straight in my head. So, I scribbled some notes down about what I remembered from when I was a teenager and I started doing some research on paranormal creatures that would populate my series and before you knew it, I had Della, Miranda, Holiday, Derek, Perry, Lucas and Burnett walking and talking in my head. After that, the rest just fell into place.

5. What age did you start writing?

C.C.: Honestly? I've been a storyteller all my life. I came by it naturally, though. Some of my earliest memories are sitting around with my family, listening to them tell stories, or what other people might call "whoppers". You see, in my family, the truth never got in the way of our telling a good story, which is why our stories often got bigger, and better, each time we told them. What was important was making people laugh and, boy howdy, did we laugh a lot in my family. Before long, I was telling my own stories, too. As for writing those stories down on paper, well, that didn’t happen until later. I was a new bride in my early twenties and my hubby asked me what I wanted to do with my life. I thought about it for a moment, and then I told him I wanted to be a writer. Only problem was, I am dyslexic. That means I sometimes get my words mixed up or I just flat-out leave them out completely when I try to put my stories down on paper. So becoming a writer was a lot harder for me than most people. I had to learn how to deal with my dyslexia right along with learning how to write. But the struggle was worth it. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Except for maybe being a stand-up comedian.

6. Are you planning to write another book or series (not related to Shadow Falls) soon?

C.C.: Yes, and thanks so much for asking. I'm actually working on an idea for a new series now. I can't give you any specifics because nothing is definite yet, but I am excited about the new characters and the possibilities they present.

7. Did you always want to be a writer if not please tell us what career you had in mind when you were younger?

C.C.: Well, as I said, I've always been a storyteller, so becoming a writer was probably a smart move on my part. But I also enjoy public speaking and making people laugh. I sometimes think I might have become a stand-up comedian. Some times after I speak at a library or a writers’ event, people come up to me afterward and tell me I missed my true calling, that I really belong on stage. LOL. And I can see myself doing that and being happy, too. But I also enjoy teaching others, which is why I like doing workshops on writing. So I might have become a teacher. But, all in all, I think being a writer was the best choice for me—not only do I get to make up stories and get paid for them, I also get to get up in front of people and talk, as well as conduct workshops that, I hope, teach them a little bit about writing.

8. Will there ever be a movie for Shadow Falls?

C.C.: Oh, great question! I have had some interest from the folks out in Hollywood, but don't have any specifics to share, unfortunately. I think it would be great if it happened though. I’d love to see Kylie and her friends come to life in a movie or TV series.

9. Can you tell us anything new about Whispers At Moonrise? Is this the final book?

C.C.: Whispers at Moonrise is the fourth book in the Shadow Falls series. The final book is book five, and I'm writing that one now. Whispers shows Kylie at a real turning point in her life—and it’s an emotional turning point, too. The ending made me tear up. Okay, I teared up a lot in that book, and I think readers will feel the tug on their emotions, too. Kylie is reaching a crossroads in her life—she has to decide the path she wants to take, even though she knows that will mean making decisions that could separate her from the people she loves. Oh, one other thing that happens in Whispers at Moonrise is that Kylie finally believes she’s fallen in love with one of the boys. Now, whether or not it will work out, you’ll have to wait and see in book five.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you doing this and I really loved Born At Midnight!!!

C.C.: Thank you. I had a lot of fun writing about Kylie and her friends, and it always means a lot to hear from readers who enjoy my stories. And thanks for having me here at your blog. I've had a great time.
If your readers want to learn more about my Shadow Falls series, they can visit my website, www.CCHunterBooks.com. Also, they can check out the book video for Taken at Dusk, book three in the series, which I’m including below:

All best,
C.C.

message 15: by Karina (new)

Karina Great interview!
I recently got the book I'm excited to read it (:
(didn't want to get excited but I could not help it)