Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Games! > Riddles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Edward (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:08PM) (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Post all the riddles you like. Here are the ones we've already posted in another location or further down in this thread:

[Provided by Cheyenne]:
You've got a chicken, a bag of grain, and a fox. You need to get them across a river, but your boat can only hold you and one other thing. You've got to take each item across separately. If you take the grain first, the fox will eat the chicken. If you take the fox first, the chicken will eat the grain. In what order should you get the fox, grain, and chicken across the river?

(view spoiler)

[Provided by M]:
Three men are returning from a business trip. They stop at a hotel for the night. They say they want a room. The desk tells them a room will cost $30. They each give the clerk $10. The bellboy shows them up to a room, shows them the running water. (In those days, a room just had a sink. The bathroom and shower were down the hall.)

When the bellboy goes back downstairs, the clerk is agitated. “I’ve made a terrible mistake,” he says. “I charged them $30 for the room, when the rate is only $25.” He gives the bellboy five $1 bills. “Take this to them and offer them my apologies.”

On the way up the stairs, the bellboy thinks to himself, “There’s three of them and five dollars. I can’t divide three into five.” When he gets to their room, he explains that they’ve been overcharged, and gives each a dollar, keeping the other two.

Each businessman had paid $10. Each has been given a dollar back, so each has paid $9. $9 X 3 = $27, plus the $2 in the bellboy’s pocket adds up to $29. Where did the other dollar go?

(view spoiler)

[Provided by Edward]:
He went to the forest and caught it,
So he sat down and sought it.
But since he could not find it,
Home with him he brought it.

(view spoiler)

[Provided by Cheyenne]:
The man who makes it doesn't need it.
The man who buys it doesn't use it.
The man who needs it doesn't know it.
What is it?

(view spoiler)

[Provided by Alison]:
A man was found murdered on Sunday morning. His wife immediately called the police. The police questioned the wife and staff and got these alibis:
The Wife said she was sleeping.
The Cook was cooking breakfast.
The Gardener was picking vegetables.
The Maid was getting the mail.
The Butler was cleaning the closet.

The police instantly arrested the murdered. Who did it and how did they know?

(view spoiler)

[Provided by Edward]:
Alive, I am a beautious sight
Dead, I provide service void of might
The living I carry within my corpse
Or corpses I shelter without remorse.

(view spoiler)

[Provided by Edward]:

White sails on a higher sea
Whose tears fill the lower sea.

(view spoiler)

[Provided by Kat]:

You are standing in front of a room with one lightbulb inside of it. You cannot see if it is on or off. Outside the room there are 3 switches in the off positions. You may turn the switches any way you want to. You stop turning the switches, enter the room and know which switch controls the light bulb. How?

(view spoiler)

[Provided by Kat]:
man is traveling to a town and comes to a fork in the road. If he goes left, he goes to the liars' village. If he goes right, he then goes to the village of truths - which is where he wants to go. However, he does not know which way is which.

He doesn't have time to go both routes, so he approaches a stranger who is standing in the middle of the fork. The stranger says he may only ask 3 questions and he will answer them.

The man asks, "Are you from the village of truths?" The stranger says, "Yes!" However, the man is still facing a dilemma: If the stranger was from the village of truths he can only tell the truth, but if he was from the village of liars, he would say he was from the village of truth.

So then he asks the stranger, "Are you telling the truth?" The stranger says, "Yes!" But sadly this leaves the man in the same position as before.

What question do you have to ask to get where you are going?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4216 comments Ooh. This one looks like a lot of fun. I do have at least one original riddle. Do I have to have it include a view spoiler part or should I just post, see if people get it, and then post the answer?

I don't know how to do the "view spoiler" feature.

message 3: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments You know how to do italics or bold right? Instead of putting a letter in the carrots < >, put spoiler in the carrots. I only know how because Edward told me yesterday :p

message 4: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments You can do it either way. I only used the spoiler thing here because we already did those riddles in another (completely irrelevant) topic, but if you like it, go ahead.

Here's an easy one:

White sails on a higher sea
Whose tears fill the lower sea.

How about you post it, then after a few people guess, post the answer under the spoiler thing. Then I'll move the riddle, spoiler and all, to the first post.

message 5: by Alison (new)

Alison ooh I've got one.

A man was found murdered on Sunday morning. His wife immediately called the police. The police questioned the wife and staff and got these alibis:
The Wife said she was sleeping.
The Cook was cooking breakfast.
The Gardener was picking vegetables.
The Maid was getting the mail.
The Butler was cleaning the closet.

The police instantly arrested the murdered. Who did it and how did they know?

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 181 comments The maid, because there's no mail on Sunday's.

message 7: by Edward (last edited Jun 08, 2012 10:37AM) (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Here's an attempt at creating a riddle:

Or corpses I shelter without remorse.

message 8: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Michelle wrote: "The maid, because there's no mail on Sunday's."

I don't check the mail often enough to know that one. Alison had to go somewhere but I'm sure she'll be back in an hour or so to tell the answer.

message 9: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Edward wrote: "Here's an attempt at creating a riddle:

Or corpses I shelter without remorse."

Ummm is it a (view spoiler)

message 10: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Yep.

message 11: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments I'm trying to think of another one.... Hmmmmph

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 181 comments Edward wrote: "You can do it either way. I only used the spoiler thing here because we already did those riddles in another (completely irrelevant) topic, but if you like it, go ahead.

Here's an easy one:

Whit..."

clouds and rain

message 13: by Michelle (last edited Jun 08, 2012 02:07PM) (new)

Michelle | 181 comments I got one:
You have a 7 liter bottle and a 6 liter bottle with no markings. You need exactly 1 liter of water (or some other liquid). How do you get it?
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments You (view spoiler)

message 15: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Ahh, I misunderstood the riddle. I thought that both bottles were the same size and one had 7 liters of liquid while the other had 6. My bad.

message 16: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4216 comments A man goes into a hospital for a routine surgery. After it is over the man is told it went well. . . but he leaves in a wheelchair. What happened??

message 17: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments He came in a wheelchair.

message 18: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Ermm.... People always leave in a wheel chair when they have a surgery. When I had a surgery on my EAR I left in a wheel chair.

message 19: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments It was a very humbling moment being pushed down the halls on that horrible thing. Nearly as bad as when they wheeled me to the operating floor in my hospital bed. But I was too shy then to say, "Excuse me, hi my legs work perfectly fine."

message 20: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (last edited Dec 10, 2012 09:36PM) (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4216 comments A man goes into a hospital for a routine surgery. After it is over the man is told it went well. . . but he leaves in a wheelchair. What happened??

The answer (view spoiler)

message 21: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Well I guess that's one good thing that came out of being in the hospital so much when I was a kid. Heheh, so not funny...

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 181 comments Cheyenne *Nackie* wrote: "You [spoilers removed]"

Sort of. It's in the spoiler.

message 23: by Caitlan (last edited Jun 09, 2012 09:53PM) (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments Here's a riddle

You are standing in front of a room with one lightbulb inside of it. You cannot see if it is on or off. Outside the room there are 3 switches in the off positions. You may turn the switches any way you want to. You stop turning the switches, enter the room and know which switch controls the light bulb. How?

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments And here's another :D

A man is traveling to a town and comes to a fork in the road. If he goes left, he goes to the liars' village. If he goes right, he then goes to the village of truths - which is where he wants to go. However, he does not know which way is which.

He doesn't have time to go both routes, so he approaches a stranger who is standing in the middle of the fork. The stranger says he may only ask 3 questions and he will answer them.

The man asks, "Are you from the village of truths?" The stranger says, "Yes!" However, the man is still facing a dilemma: If the stranger was from the village of truths he can only tell the truth, but if he was from the village of liars, he would say he was from the village of truth.

So then he asks the stranger, "Are you telling the truth?" The stranger says, "Yes!" But sadly this leaves the man in the same position as before.

What question do you have to ask to get where you are going?

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Edward (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:09PM) (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Let's see ...

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Edward (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:09PM) (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments (view spoiler)

message 27: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments nice ;D

message 28: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments What did one pawn say to the other pawn?

message 29: by M (new)

M | 11074 comments “If I had a Thompson gun instead of this silly short sword, there’d be a mad rush for cover on the other side of the board.”

message 30: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments No, but I like it. The answer is in the really long and rushed story I posted. It's actually more of a probverb.

message 31: by Edward (last edited Jun 23, 2012 11:29AM) (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Oh, sorry, the answer is, (view spoiler)

message 32: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments It would be funny.

message 33: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments haha

message 34: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4216 comments What can swallow yet has no teeth?
What can run yet has no feet?
Its sneaky, adored, toward cracks and needs
It can live in a hole yet is loved by all things.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) Alex (Al) wrote: "The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it? "

Oooh Oohh I've heard this!!! I just can't remember what the answer is XD

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) Alex (Al) wrote: "And this one's written in the front cover of I book I bought at a used book place. It took me forever to figure out it was a riddle.

"I never was.
I am always to be,
Though no one has ever saw m..."

Atmosphere? Lol scientific eh? No idea.

message 38: by ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (last edited Dec 29, 2012 11:29AM) (new)

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) Got it! @Alex, the riddle in post#38 is a coffin!

message 39: by ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (last edited Dec 29, 2012 11:32AM) (new)

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) Yay!

Hmmm..yeah. The future...or an orb that sees the future? It says a ball at the end :\
How do find the right answer XD

message 40: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4216 comments ✮ Ї'м Йоt Шєїґd, Ї'м Gїftєd ღ ~ Йцмєу ☮ wrote: "*****?"

:)

What can swallow yet has no teeth?
What can run yet has no feet?
Its sneaky, adored, toward cracks and needs
It can live in a hole yet is loved by all things.

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Edward (last edited Jan 03, 2013 08:45PM) (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments This has always been a favorite of mine:

What is the beginning of the end
And the end of space and time
The start of eternity
And the close of life and love?

I think I actually asked y'all this one years ago.

message 43: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4216 comments I know that one! But I don't want to spoil it.

message 45: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4216 comments Kggelen wrote: "What do you add to a bucket filled with ten gallons of water to make it a bucket filled with nine gallons of water?"

An empty gallon bottle that you fill and then take out of the bucket? Sorry. Guess. I am not sure of that one.

message 46: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments Alex (Al) wrote: "And this one's written in the front cover of I book I bought at a used book place. It took me forever to figure out it was a riddle.

"I never was.
I am always to be,
Though no one has ever saw m..."

Hm... Time???

message 47: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments Kggelen wrote: "What do you add to a bucket filled with ten gallons of water to make it a bucket filled with nine gallons of water?"

I'm not sure. Heat, maybe? Evaporate some of it?
Or, maybe, if the water is close enough to the rim, you could drop in a good-sized rock. That could push a gallon of water out of the bucket.

message 48: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments I took that riddle to my brother, and that was the first thing he said. "Just poke a big hole in it! Duh, Kai-ra." (He calls me Kai-ra instead of Kee-ra. But he's my brother, so it doesn't piss me off as much.)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 1365 comments "Fearsome legend
Lighter than beans
In a rainbow of color
It beats it's wing."-

message 50: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments A butterfly?

« previous 1 3