ROBUST discussion

Defenders of Valinthia
This topic is about Defenders of Valinthia
Dan's Radio Ad

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Roberts (Daniel-A-Roberts) | 467 comments I did a radio ad. It's going over 130 streamed stations originating with a San Francisco 70's station.

Details are in my blog: http://magicvsscience.wordpress.com/2...

I think I took being an Independent Author to new heights of self promotion. Not sure, but close if somebody else did this. If you take the time and effort to listen to the ad (schedule time is listed on the blog) - that's actually me doing the talking. ^_^

Rwar!

Now you all can make fun of how much I packed into a 30 second time spot. LOL

message 2: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Really cool banner, Daniel.

When it is 0801 here in Ireland and the UK, it is 0301 in New York and 0001 in San Francisco, all on the same day. People who live in Middle America can adjust in between.

In Australia at that moment it is coming up for cocktails or dinner time, depending on which state you're in, also on the same day.

message 3: by Andre Jute (new)

That's the voice of Dan himself in the radio spots. Awesome! http://magicvsscience.wordpress.com/2... @DanielRoberts68

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Roberts (Daniel-A-Roberts) | 467 comments Thanks for the compliment, Andre. ^_^

I listened to high energy radio ads for almost two hours to make sure I wasn't doing anything unusual. I learned that about 50 to 70 words could be comfortably spoken within 30 seconds, like a normal conversation. The one I did got a wee bit more than that packed into it.

The real fun came in when I went around the house trying to shush two teenage daughters so I could get a giggle-less background. Ah, what a challenge that was. :)

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Daniel, have you been seen any results from your ad?

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Roberts (Daniel-A-Roberts) | 467 comments Patricia wrote: "Daniel, have you been seen any results from your ad?"

I haven't seen any immediate sales, but traffic on my blog and Smashwords page stats have seen constant, regular hits across the board. Before it would come in bursts, then nothing for a week or so, then another burst... so there is a perceivable improvement.

If they'll convert to sales, I don't know yet. It usually takes a few weeks to a month, as I gather a good number of them will google the title and look it up on their favorite ebook retailer, be it nook or Apple or places like Sony. If that's the case, I won't see a possible surge until...*drumroll* early next quarter when the new sales are reported.

I can only hope. :)

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments Cool thing to do, Daniel. Hope you get some results!

message 8: by Andre Jute (new)

Something many people don't understand about advertising, including many who work in advertising, is that the link between ad and response is like a long piece of elastic. Even in retail advertising, where you can at least theoretically point to one ad for one product and then measure the response, we repeatedly found that what in fact happened wasn't one-ad-one-sale but repeated exposures to the product gradually breaking down resistance, with the better known the name of the retail store/chain, the fewer exposures would be required before a sale was made.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Roberts (Daniel-A-Roberts) | 467 comments Bingo Andre, well said. I already have a plan in the works for a month long promotion utilizing the same system, with an added 'live announcement' feature where the content is orated by the host as "Brought to you by Defenders of Valinthia, a new ebook by Daniel..blah blah" You get the picture. :)

That particular promo runs a month. It also includes my on-air ads and a ad-spot on their main website.

Then on to plan b, which I will talk about when I get more time. As for now, I gotta run.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments FWIW, I just tweeted Andre's msg 3.

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Roberts (Daniel-A-Roberts) | 467 comments Sharon wrote: "FWIW, I just tweeted Andre's msg 3."

Thank you!!