UIU Library discussion

Hunger Games > Popularity of the Series

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 47 comments Mod
Things to think about: 1.Why do you think The Hunger Games series is a bestseller? What about the series appeals to so many people? If this isn't the type of book you normally read, what made you want to read it?

message 2: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 47 comments Mod
I'm actually surprised at how popular the series has gotten. I'm glad...just surprised. The movie definitely helped, but I think even before that it was a book that spread by word of mouth. I think I've mentioned it before but I originally heard about it because the author of the Twilight series said it was one she couldn't put down. True, Twilight isn't great literature, but it is a captivating story nonetheless. I think part of the reason The Hunger Games has been so popular is that it incorporates several genres: action, science fiction, romance, suspense. I've been encouraging adults to read more YA for years...I find that often they are actually better written and unique than popular adult books. Hopefully books like the Hunger Games will get more people interested in reading quality young adult literature!

message 3: by Christie (new)

Christie | 13 comments I must confess I have not read much of this book in the past week, partly because my new class started and partly because my grandson has been reading the book. Based on what I have read so far, Catness is an admirable person. She has found a way to maintain some power over her life in a place where there is seemingly no hope. I think we like to imagine that we could be that kind of a hero.

message 4: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 47 comments Mod
Thanks for the comments Christie! You touched on something that I was just talking about with someone -- this is a book that appeals to all ages. And I like your observations about Katniss and her qualities.