Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Atheists Decide to send a message on 800 buses

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/wor...

what do you think?
I find it refreshing, that there's a response finally to all the "faith-based" ads, announcements

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, I heard about this...it made me laugh. I see (and respect most) religious advertising all over the place, so I don't think the atheist advertising is anything awful. It's a free country. I like the way the Methodists, by the way, welcomed the effort as a way to get people talking about God. Good show, Methodists.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments A group here posted a sign along the interstate and it's stirred quite a bit of controversy . I'm thoroughly enjoying the discussion.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) “There’s probably no God,” the advertisements say. “Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.”
I'm wondering why they used the word "PROBABLY"?
Is that an "Just in case there is"?

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell They should do like the Gideons do. Put their pamphlets in hotel rooms. Of course, the hotel chains might not go for it, but they should try it. It would make for an interesting test case. Hotels can't discriminate when renting rooms on the basis of religion, but what about the literature in their rooms?

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments I think I will paint on the side of my truck:

SEND YA A POSTCARD FROM HEAVEN

message 7: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Most atheists concede that there is no way of proving there is no god(s). It's not falsifiable, so you can never be 100% sure about it. Atheists don't believe there is anything supernatural or an afterlife. Usually they are also agnostic in the sense that they acknowledge there is no way to know for sure, but they (and I) would say that the evidence seems to point in the no-supernatural direction. I LOVE that nonbelievers are coming out of the closet and being "loud and proud" about it.