Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

What Are You Reading? > What Are You Reading? June 2012

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie | 42 comments Welcome! This ongoing discussion is your place to share what you are reading and what you think about it!

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:17AM) (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Currently reading The Good War: An Oral History of World War II by Studs Terkel. Each story is about 10 pages or less on an individual's experience during World War II. It is interesting to see what a person focuses on, and many stories are very interesting. The only thing I really don't like is the fact all of these stories can run together, so it is good to put it down and read something else so it absorbs better in the brain.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments A friend had sent me Flipped which I started on Sunday and finished on Monday. It was a cute story about a boy that moves into Juli's neighborhood and she instantly develops a crush on him in 2nd grade and follows them though 8th grade. Two chapters cover specific events that happen to them - 1st his point of view followed by hers. It was made into a Rob Reiner film with minor changes to the script, but takes it from modern day (book) to the late 50s/early 60s (movie). It goes to show that kids of all ages face the same issues when it comes to crushes, fitting in, families, and a changing world.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Finally got though the wait list to read Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris. I've enjoyed reading the Sookie Stackhouse series. I just picked it up tonight and on page 97.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Deadlocked was a great read! I've been reading the Sookie Stackhouse / True Blood series, and while it has been enjoyable this one is probably my favorite. Sookie is becoming her own hero and not the victim that the fae, weres, or vampires have to save.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments The Good War: An Oral History of World War II is a book I would highly recommend for anyone that has an inkling of an interest in history. Oral histories are given from nearly every perspective you can imagine. Even gives some insights into Vietnam. Not all stories are those of war. Recommend to read a few stories, put down, and come back to it.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Now I'm able to read Thank You for All Things for the So Many Books So Little Time book club meeting on Sunday. Hopefully I can make it - it's a crazy weekend!

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Just finished reading Thank You for All Things by Sandra Kring for So Many Book So Little Time book discussion. I enjoyed this book. While I think Lucy may have been a bit mature for her age, I loved her curiosity on wanting to find out the family secrets. This book has a lot of tragedy, but I found myself laughing out loud several times.

message 9: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "Just finished reading Thank You for All Things by Sandra Kring for So Many Book So Little Time book discussion. I enjoyed this book. While I think Lucy may have been a bit mature for her age, I l..."

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to our discussion Sunday, we should have fun with these characters.

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I'm currently readin Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James and Rapture by Lauren Kate.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Rapture by Lauren Kate was a good finale to the Fallen series. I didn't like the main character, Luce, in the 2nd and 3rd books, but she does redeem herself.

I'm no reading One Day by David Nicholls. It was a selection for the British World Book Night, but also I caught the movie in a hotel room and have been thinking about it ever since.

message 12: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kellismith) | 183 comments Mod
Ugh... I think I took a vacation from reading this whole month. I have been slowly listening to the second Amelia Peabody book, The Curse of the Pharoah. Hopefully, I get back on track for July!!!

message 13: by Erin (last edited Jun 29, 2012 03:27PM) (new)

Erin | 33 comments This Summer, I am taking a Young Adult class, so I've been reading a lot of Young Adult books! Here are some titles I've picked up and really enjoyed:

When a Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
Between Shades of Gray by Rupta Sepetys
The Lying Game by Sara Shepard
Divergent by Veronica Roth
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

And right now I am reading Hourglass by Myra McEntire. It's about time travel and has some romance mixed in with the story, so when I am finished I will be sure to post a review!

message 14: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
Let me know if you think One Day would be a good pick for the So Many Books group...It's in our BGIB collection so we could do it sometime.

Melanie wrote: "Rapture by Lauren Kate was a good finale to the Fallen series. I didn't like the main character, Luce, in the 2nd and 3rd books, but she does redeem herself.

I'm no reading One Day by David Nicho..."

message 15: by Melanie (last edited Jul 02, 2012 06:52AM) (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I do think it would be a good choice. It was choosen as one of the British World Book Night selections. The way it is written is different than most books because you get essentially get "one day" - July 15 out of their lives. Sometimes they are together and other times they are not, but the reader hears from both Dexter and Emma.

Deb wrote: "Let me know if you think One Day would be a good pick for the So Many Books group...It's in our BGIB collection so we could do it sometime.

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie | 42 comments Deb wrote: "Let me know if you think One Day would be a good pick for the So Many Books group...It's in our BGIB collection so we could do it sometime.

Deb, I also read One Day and I think it might make a good book club pick because it has a lot of potential to be polarizing, which are books that I think make the best discussions. I fall on the didn't care for it side, but I can understand its appeal and some of the choices the characters make could lead to some meaty discussion.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin | 33 comments I also read "One Day" and think it'd make for a great discussion.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Pfuetze Schmidt | 1 comments Angie wrote: "Deb wrote: "Let me know if you think One Day would be a good pick for the So Many Books group...It's in our BGIB collection so we could do it sometime.

Deb, I also read One Day and I think it migh..."

Angie, I appreciate your comments about what kind of books make for meaty discussions. I think you put this very well. Thanks.