Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > How do I make an author page?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42076 comments Mod
Has the book been added to Goodreads? That is the first step.

message 2: by Cait (last edited Jun 06, 2012 11:23AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Sunny, if your book is only available for sale through Amazon, you'll need to request it manually here (Amazon doesn't let us import their data anymore).

You can follow the process here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

Regarding pen names, you'll want to switch your display name on GR to match the name under which you write. Then, once the book is added, you'll be able to claim the author profile and join the GR Authors program with your existing user account. (If you don't want to use your existing user account as your author account, you can make a new user account under your pen name and log in with that account to claim the author profile.)

message 3: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) You need to claim your author profile here.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian George (GeorgeIan) | 7 comments Wow this is hard work! My stories (short stories not books really!) are on Amazon - I really don't understand the process - it says cover art can't come from Amazon , so how do I provide it? Its says format, well, its Kindle format! Do I have to use the original word document I submitted?

This lack of integration with Amazon will kill Goodreads off (for me anyway). I dont want to republish here, I was hoping just to have an author page and point to Amazon.

message 5: by Cait (last edited Jun 07, 2012 06:20AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Ian, we really wish we could integrate with Amazon, but legally we just can't -- you can read about it in these threads on the Amazon Incident if you want to know the background.

You do need to write out all of the information for each book edition, but you don't need to upload anything (except perhaps covers -- see below); you can just write "Format: Kindle" and we'll create a book record here which says "Format: Kindle". If you provide an ASIN, it'll link to Amazon from the booksellers links. (Remember that the main draw of Goodreads is that it's a place for people who have already read your books to talk about them, so it serves as a listing of all of the books you've ever published anywhere and all of the things GR users have thought about them, not just a sales front for your current books. Even if your books are out of print, we're happy to list them on GR.)

Book covers are the trickier part, I'm afraid. Do you have copies of your book cover art which you've uploaded to somewhere else such as a blog? You could even upload them to your GR profile pictures if necessary. Sadly, unlike the rest of the book data the cover art can't just be typed into a comment box!

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian George (GeorgeIan) | 7 comments Cait wrote: "Ian, we really wish we could integrate with Amazon, but legally we just can't -- you can read about it in these threads on the Amazon Incident if you want to know the background.

You do need to wr..."

Thank you! Hopefully things will become better with time!

message 7: by vicki_girl (last edited Jun 07, 2012 08:16AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Nikita wrote: "I claimed my author profile about 20 hours again the profiles have not merged or I can't make changes when I click on the name on my book.

How long does it take?"

Usually 2-3 business days. If you haven't been approved by ~6pm Pacific time tomorrow, it won't be until after the weekend.